Source for loose French lined paper

Titivillus

I found after someone wrote me a letter on the paper that my writing fits perfectly between 2 of the lines. :lol: The writer was in Paris and listed some stores there but I'd like to find someplace in the US that sells the stuff. <_<

I know that Clairfontaine has notebooks that are french lines and Rhodia had some that were lined as such but does anyone know of a place that sells loose sheet or a pad that would be useful for letter writing. :eureka:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• Anne-Sophie

• Hélène

• addio6

Some time ago, I also wanted to find French Ruled paper, but was unable to do so.

However, from one of my posts in 2005,

A few months ago,  after learning somewhat more about it from one of Denis posts, I started using some Clairefontaine notebooks with the Seyes ruling. I find that it helps me keep my writing within bounds.

After using these notebooks for a while, I thought it would be useful to have a computer template that would print a sheet with this ruling whenever desired for other use.

After a fruitless search for one, I devised one using Microsoft Word, and after the effort, wanted to share it with others. Since the ruling itself appears to be public domain, I did not think there would be a problem in doing so

Here are links to three documents which will produce the Seyes ruling.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/images/seyes.doc

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/images/seyes.dot

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/images/seyes.pdf

They are all the same document. For those familiar with Microsoft Word, https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/images/seyes.dot is perhaps the more useful. Save the document to the templates folder used by Microsoft Word.

The File ending in .doc may be more useful for those using programs that can open and read a Microsoft Word document.

Finally, there is a pdf file for those who prefer to compute without Microsoft.

Finally, I would like to thank Denis for his assistance. Since I do not have a document or image server, nor a way to create a pdf file, Denis kindly hosted these files for me and created the pdf file.

Thank you again, Denis.?

George

Pelikan Convert and User

Some time ago, I also wanted to find French Ruled paper, but was unable to do so.

However, from one of my posts in 2005,

A few months ago,  after learning somewhat more about it from one of Denis posts, I started using some Clairefontaine notebooks with the Seyes ruling. I find that it helps me keep my writing within bounds.

After using these notebooks for a while, I thought it would be useful to have a computer template that would print a sheet with this ruling whenever desired for other use.

After a fruitless search for one, I devised one using Microsoft Word, and after the effort, wanted to share it with others. Since the ruling itself appears to be public domain, I did not think there would be a problem in doing so

Here are links to three documents which will produce the Seyes ruling.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/images/seyes.doc

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/images/seyes.dot

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/images/seyes.pdf

They are all the same document. For those familiar with Microsoft Word, https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/images/seyes.dot is perhaps the more useful. Save the document to the templates folder used by Microsoft Word.

The File ending in .doc may be more useful for those using programs that can open and read a Microsoft Word document.

Finally, there is a pdf file for those who prefer to compute without Microsoft.

Finally, I would like to thank Denis for his assistance. Since I do not have a document or image server, nor a way to create a pdf file, Denis kindly hosted these files for me and created the pdf file.

Thank you again, Denis.?

Thanks for the link. I was really hoping to find some thin paper that already had the lines on it but this might do in a pinch. I might just give up and get some Clairfontaine notebooks and cut them up.

K

You could get a Triomphe notepad and cut off the glued edge.

I have had no luck finding similar smooth and thin paper in bulk, but I continue to search.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

That's what I was going to suggest, too.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

The title of this thread caught my attention immediately. I have also been looking for lined French paper for a long time, completely without success. At least now I don't feel alone.

By the way, I went the computer route myself and at least got the ruling I wanted. But I use that ruling on HP paper.

If anyone finds a source for the loose ruled paper, PLEASE post here!

I just purcased some G. Lalo paper on ebay. I haven't got it yet, but the guy I bought it from said he had some loose sheets in plastic wrap...50 sheets I believe, 3 packs. It came in grey or cream. Mine is in a tablet, and is cream coloured.

Oh, dummyme...the thread is about ruled paper. This paper is not ruled, but you could google G. Lalo and see what is available. Sorry.

Andrew

I have had no luck finding similar smooth and thin paper in bulk, but I continue to search.

I looked at the Triomphe pads and could find none that were French ruled.

Sorry K, I forgot all about that part.

French ruled is the standard ruling they use for student lined paper in France, it's got a lot of "sub" lines between the main ones. It's nice for keeping your letters in proportion.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

I have one pad: a remnant of my school time. Centuries ago ....

I'm not sure it will be easy to find plain loose sheets : I've always seen that in pads or in single sheet with holes (for ring binder)

I can have a look around (see where I live) to check what I can find and I'll give you prices. No clue yet of shipping cost.

I'll keep you posted ...

I found after someone wrote me a letter on the paper that my writing fits perfectly between 2 of the lines. :lol: The writer was in Paris and listed some stores there but I'd like to find someplace in the US that sells the stuff. <_<

I know that Clairfontaine has notebooks that are french lines and Rhodia had some that were lined as such but does anyone know of a place that sells loose sheet or a pad that would be useful for letter writing. :eureka:

You need to ask the French writer the name of the company that makes the paper.

With that you could find a way to contact U.S distributors of French paper, pen and ink and ask them to carry the line

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 4 weeks later...

I knew I wasn't going crazy.. laugh.gif

I thought there was a topic about this, but I wasn't sure.. I had actually scanned in a few pages from a Clairefontaine French Ruled notebook to try and figure out the pattern to see if I could use it to lay something out on a grid. I went ahead and saved the Illustrator files as PDFs just in case my memory was doing a good job.

Here are a few more contributions, if anyone is still looking. They're A4, and should be an exact overlay of the gridded lines in the clothbound notebook. smile.gif

FrenchRuleCF.pdf

I've found some ways to print your own onto paper of your choice and voila! you have what you need.

This link provides many templates, in addition to the UK 174 format (not quite French, actually a UK ruled paper that is somewaht similar) and Engineers paper. Incompetech. You can tweak these to make them work for whatever you need. I really like them as I've never colored within the lines. This way, I just move the lines. laugh.gif

I also have a template for French Ruled paper, but can't remember where I found it. However, if someone would be kind enough to point me to the best way to upload this, I'll happily post it for all and sundry. Please PM with the 'idiot's cue card' version for uploading a pdf. I am the idiot that needs them.

I only have Acrobat reader and can't remember how, or even if, I can upload a template that someone else did.. In the meantime, I'll try to find the file that lists all the sources of my templates which was damaged by a careless computer operator. ph34r.gif (a.k.a. the idiot needing the cue cards)

Elizabeth

Spring and love arrived on a bird's sweet song. "How does that little box sound like birds and laughter?" I asked the gypsy violinist. He leaned back, pointing to his violin. "Look inside, you'll see the birdies sing to me" soft laughter in his voice. "I hear them, I can almost see them!", I shouted as his bow danced on the strings. "Ah yes" he said, "your heart is a violin." Shony Alex Braun

As it began for Shony, it began for me. My heart -- My violin

This is an update to my earlier post. smile.gif

I was playing with the pattern I lifted from the Clairefontaine French Ruled notebook and saw the grid wouldn't lose any of its proportions if it were adjusted to fit an 8.5" x 11" sheet. So, I centered the A4 in a new 'letter' sized document, lengthened/shortened the lines on the sides to fit accordingly and exported that to pdf also.

I figured I would upload it in case the previous one was useful, but resizing in Acrobat killed the point when printing on a regular sheet of paper. This is only the color version, but I'd be glad to go back and make a black and white if anyone were needing something more friendly to stubborn B/W laser printers (I know that headache all too well. wink.gif)

FR_color_ltr.pdf

Edited by addio6

QUOTE (Anne-Sophie @ Feb 2 2007, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE (Tytyvyllus @ Jan 5 2007, 10:57 PM)
I found after someone wrote me a letter on the paper that my writing fits perfectly between 2 of the lines. laugh.gif  The writer was in Paris and listed some stores there but I'd like to find someplace in the US that sells the stuff. dry.gif

I know that Clairfontaine has notebooks that are french lines and Rhodia had some that were lined as such but does anyone know of a place that sells loose sheet or a pad that would be useful for letter writing. eureka.gif

You need to ask the French writer the name of the company that makes the paper.

With that you could find a way to contact U.S distributors of French paper, pen and ink and ask them to carry the line

good point! since it is the paper itself with the preprinted lines that I am looking for asking the writer which Parisian store he purcahsed it from would be a good idea.

Kurt

It's made by Clairfontaine item #47910

4 sides per page - like a large sheet folded in half

I have looked everywhere I can but I haven't found a US source.

Edit: I asked Sam at Pendemonium if they could get it. The response was that they carry all the French ruled Clairfonaine that is available to US distributors

Edit #2 I want it because Antonios Z. uses it for his copperplate so I figure if I get the same paper then I'll be able to write as well tongue.gif

Edited by Elaine

Clairefontaine and Rhodia are widely available in Quebec. I know at least 4 stores that carries loose leaf clairefontaine.

Nota Bene Papeterie

Adresse : 3416 av du parc, Montreal, QC

Téléphone : 514-485-6587

This store is the best, it's worth a call. Make sure you talk to Russell Hemsworth, the owner. He travels the world to find the best paper and his store is my main source of note book, including Apica from Japan. His store is all about paper, it's also an amazing art gallery right in the heart of downtown.

I know that he ships and he will soon have a web site for his shop.

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

• 3 months later...
I just returned from Paris where I got "Feuillets mobiles" or loose leaf paper in seyes rule, it is made by Clairefontaine and is available in most stationary stores, book stores, ect. even discount stores. On the package there was the Clairefontaine website www.clairefontaine.com, I do not know of any US sources but there are probably links on their website. Edited by Hélène

Clairefontaine and Rhodia are widely available in Quebec. I know at least 4 stores that carries loose leaf clairefontaine.

Nota Bene Papeterie

Adresse : 3416 av du parc, Montreal, QC

Téléphone : 514-485-6587

This store is the best, it's worth a call. Make sure you talk to Russell Hemsworth, the owner. He travels the world to find the best paper and his store is my main source of note book, including Apica from Japan. His store is all about paper, it's also an amazing art gallery right in the heart of downtown.

I know that he ships and he will soon have a web site for his shop.

Brand new website is up.

http://nota-bene.ca

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?