1965 Montblanc Meisterstück 146

georges zaslavsky

Hi

Time to review the 146 and a vintage model. This 146 belonged to the father of my uncle who baught it new in 1965 and who used till 1989 before giving it to my uncle who gave it to me as a christmas gift in 2006. I always wanted a 146 so it was a very good gift since it was a family pen and pen with history. My uncle never had probs with this 146. The pen was never serviced nor repaired. I really like the 146 and it is very pleasing pen to write with.

Apparence/finish:

Classical cigar shape as you can expect from a Meisterstück but less large than a 149. Finish is very good and the cap despite some minor scratches is in very good condition. The resin used in this 1965 is not going to britle or break like glass. So people thinking that Montblancs break like glass get all wrong again and again.

Size/Weight:

Approximatively the same size than a Parker Duofold Centennial and a Söveran 800. It is a not too light and not too heavy pen, it is a well balanced pen. It is a very ergonomic pen as well because you are never tired to write with it.

Filling System:

Piston filling system with very smooth action and it works like a Rolex. The pen holds a lot of ink and you are good to wirte the pen for 5-7 days.

Nib Performance:

The nib I have is the older model the yellow gold 14k nib which provides a truely amazing performance in terms of smoothness and flexibility, it is easily comparable if not better than my Omas or my Vac nib, so it shows you that Montblanc nibs have real qualities.

Conclusion:

The 146 is a classic among the classics, immortal design, smooth nib and piston as well as a great ink capacity make of this pen a great choice for the person who can't write with a 149 or who wants something with a strenght of character and sturdy.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sonia_simone

• Westgate

• FrankB

• georges zaslavsky

Thanks for another good review, Georges. I especially like the story of the heritage of the pen. This pen's being on the third generation shows that a well cared for pen can serve for a long time.

I have only two 146's, an older model with a 14c nib, and a newer one with an 18c nib. I can tell the difference between the nibs and, frankly, I prefer the older 14c nib. If I decide to buy a third of these pens, I will probably seek out another older model.

That is a pen I would love to own. Thanks for letting us know about it!

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Very nice review, particularly of this specific pen with such a rich family history.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hmmm, since I was born in 66, maybe I should put a '66 version of this pen on my want list. rolleyes.gif

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

That's a great story! It's cool to inherit a fountain pen that's been used by a real pen person -- it's even better when it's a really nice pen!

I have a "vintage" (60s or early 70s) Montblanc 146 that I found at my local vintage pen shop. He said an old lady brought the pen in to sell after her husband had died and that he had received it as a gift and had never even used it. It had been sitting in its original box in a drawer in his desk for years.

I had a hard time believing this nearly 40-year-old pen had never been inked before, but when I went to fill it with water to make sure the filling system worked, the water came out clean!

This "vintage" MBs has brass threads for the filling system and a wonderful, slightly flexible 14K fine nib. It feels very solid and has the classic MB look. I'm glad I bought it. (My buddy who was with me snapped up the 149 that came from the same lady, although it had been used. Maybe that's why he never used the 146 -- he favored the 149.)

I wonder how many fine pens that were received as gifts are out there sitting in drawers that have never been used?

Edited by Mike S.

• 1 month later...
That's a great story! It's cool to inherit a fountain pen that's been used by a real pen person -- it's even better when it's a really nice pen!

I have a "vintage" (60s or early 70s) Montblanc 146 that I found at my local vintage pen shop. He said an old lady brought the pen in to sell after her husband had died and that he had received it as a gift and had never even used it. It had been sitting in its original box in a drawer in his desk for years.

I had a hard time believing this nearly 40-year-old pen had never been inked before, but when I went to fill it with water to make sure the filling system worked, the water came out clean!

This "vintage" MBs has brass threads for the filling system and a wonderful, slightly flexible 14K fine nib. It feels very solid and has the classic MB look. I'm glad I bought it. (My buddy who was with me snapped up the 149 that came from the same lady, although it had been used. Maybe that's why he never used the 146 -- he favored the 149.)

I wonder how many fine pens that were received as gifts are out there sitting in drawers that have never been used?

I got my 149 at a stationery store in Greenwich, Ct. in 1980;

my 146 (with a single-tone 14K nib) at a stationery store

in Westwood, Ca. in 1985.

It seems that every three to five years, each nib begins to

seep ink into the cap and onto the barrel when idle;

staining my fingers unexpectedly and perhaps staining a shirt.

Sooooo, I send them off to Montblanc for servicing

and they're all right for another three to five years.

I begin to grow tired of this routine, however! Can anyone

tell me if all Montblancs do that? Is it an eccentricity of

Montblanc?... or shall I concede to myself that I just got

two lemons, and go for Pelikan M600/M800/M1000 as my workhorses?

WHY have I kept them so long?... I believe there is no pen on earth

that puts ink down on paper better than the Meisterstucken!

It seems a shame to abandon them!

• 12 years later...

I do not nave the ability to write a full review, but I need to say that my MB 146 ------ that I bought many years ago ----- is a great, great writer! ------- There are right smart of nice pens on my desk, and I enjoy them all, ---- but I always come back to my old 146!!!!!! --- C. S.