All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. inkstainedruth

What pen(s) are you using today?

So far today it's been the Sheaffer Star Wars Pop R2-D2 pen, M nib, still with diluted vintage Skrip V-Black; and the Parker Vector Shrek Puss in Boots pen, M nib, newly refilled with Robert Oster Bishop to King (which, interestingly enough, has become fully purple in the bottle now -- when I first got the ink, it would go down cerulean blue and then color shift, and seemed to vary on how fast it would shift to purple depending on the paper...). Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth edited for typos
  3. yazeh

Octopus Write and Draw - Polar White Bear

Thanks a lot 🙏 Thanks! I'm seriously thinking of giving this ink another chance. Maybe I'lll do a redux, just to make sure
  4. inkstainedruth

EFNIR: Papier Plume Sazerac

Well, I guess that would be a no-brainer if you were to ever be a guest on The Late Show and doing "The Colbert Questionnaire"....
  5. yazeh

Colorverse Under the shade

A pleasure, I thought you'd be interested as you do often monochromatic art to show case different layers of the ink. It's quite fun. Some even fill the water brushes with different ratios of water/ ink ( I still haven't done that). I've realized one has to use pens with wet/ wide feeds to draw enough ink. I sometimes have to resort by putting the brush directly in the convertor (if the pen is dry) to achieve different gradients of colour
  6. dms525

Stub O'Day Part Two

I can confirm that Pilot is releasing a <S> (Signature) nib for the C823. My thread in the Japanese pen forum has photos of this nib. I have asked a Pilot vendor to have his nib technician evaluate it for me, if they get one in. David
  7. I’m assuming this is likely an English J, or possibly a later Relief, but I’ve never seen one like it before, so was interested in anything more I can learn about it, what year, model name, etc. is anyone familiar with these? The shape and feel is similar to a J, with gold plated furniture. The imprint is:“Esterbrook” (nothing else) “Made in England” It has a (later?) Relief nib - which tells us little really. Overall a pleasant pen that reminds me of both its better known siblings!
  8. LizEF

Oh, you'll like it, I think. It's very complex. Brown, greyish brown, greenish brown, murky green - it can't make up it's mind! (Of course, it's also quite dark, so I'm not sure how well you'll like that part, but I think you'll enjoy the complexity.)
  9. namrehsnoom

Octopus Write and Draw - Polar White Bear

@yazeh thanks for this wonderful review of an exotic ink. I can’t think of a good use-case for writing with such an ink, but it sure is amazing for drawing, as you illustrate so well with your polar bear pics. The effect you get is something like a cyanotype drawing … quite lovely! In this case I would definitely choose the DA ink … much whiter (unless there was indeed something wrong with your sample).
  10. namrehsnoom

Thank you all for the nice and encouraging comments. Looks intriguing … I will have to take a look at R&K Sepia. I haven’t tried many of their inks, but the ones I used were all good-looking and performed well. And a grey-brown mutation… that’s something difficult to resist. I haven’t really experimented with water brushes yet, but seems like something to look into. I’ve noticed that there are a fair bit of youtube videos out there discussing the technique. I will take a closer look at those to get an idea of how that stuff works. Thanks for the tip.
  11. Andrew_L

FPN's PEN ART GALLERY

Famous Ukrainian actor Mykola Yakovchenko in the role of the Cossack Shevchyk, from a photo from 1963. (Andrew Lensky custom to Pilot Falcon w|custom SUEF nib, Taccia Nakabayashi Ukiyo-E II, Double A(A4)) Full review: (ground SF to SUEF modern) Pilot Namiki Falcon GT | Andrew Lensky | design | photography | writing tools (lenskiy.org)
  12. LizEF

Thanks! This was gifted to me by a generous FPNer. I remember your review of Bayou Nightfall - a very intriguing color! Inks are always more fun when there's some complexity to them. Nope. Darker, wetter, or at least better lubricated are preferred, but I'll review any ink anyone wants to send me, and sometimes, I like the challenge. (When someone says it won't work in an EF, I feel the need to test their theory - so many misperceptions exist about EF nibs - but I also enjoy being contrary just for fun! )
  13. Andrew_L

Nibs

Pilot Falcon <SF> 14K nib Ground to <SUEF> Detailed: (ground SF to SUEF modern) Pilot Namiki Falcon GT | Andrew Lensky | design | photography | writing tools (lenskiy.org)
  14. LizEF

EFNIR: Pilot Mixable Colour Light-green

You're very welcome! Don't we all - it's that time of year! I'm afraid I agree, though - Caran d'Ache Delicate Green or Robert Oster Green Lime are my choice for this bright spring green. And there are plenty of others, should one want a slightly different hue... Hope you enjoy! Tell us what green you chose!
  15. namrehsnoom

A nice surprise to see this ink in the EFNIR series, good choice @LizEF. This is one of my favourites from the Papier Plume New Orleans Collection of inks, together with Bayou Nightfall. I know these inks are on the dry side, but they have so much depth and complexity that I can totally live with that. In my opinion, they are not a perfect match for the EF nib, but look at their best in much broader nibs where they open up more.
  16. strsljen

Greetings from Norway

Hi, I am pretty new to the forum. Found it while I was searching how to fix my Pelikan M200 pen which was damages in "man in the middle" type of random attack. I am very fond of fountain pens since my elementary school. My parents had few lying around while I was a kid they didn't use so I started pretty early. One of them was an old Pelikan, traditional style. I have no idea what happened to it over the years. That would be a nice find. In the meantime, I use M200 daily. Mario.
  17. namrehsnoom

EFNIR: Pilot Mixable Colour Light-green

Thanks for the review @LizEF - I need me some spring colour in my life at this time. Looks a nice yellow-green to me, but not special enough to put it on the wish list. On the other hand, this review makes me decide to put some green inks in my pens, and experience that spring feeling for myself.
  18. Using two Shaeffers today: 1) a blue, fine Tuckaway with Birmingham Locomotive ink 2) a black Saratoga with a medium Triumph nib with Organics studio Blue Crab ink being carried around in a new pen case I crocheted.
  19. Today
  20. Two weeks from now I should look and hope....thanks.
  21. Bo Bo Olson

Blue Pen Club- Show Me Your Blue Pens!

This didn't make it to this thread the last time in it's so dark blue it's almost black unless one looks hard. St. Dupont laque de Chine, dark blue. 18 K regular flex nib, F. The live auction hall was almost empty, pre telephone bidding, much less computer. Starting price was €20...so I was good to go, a steal. And I'd wanted a Dupont since I bought a counterfeit at the flea market (even before that) but $$$. Sitting right next to me, out of the 40 empty chairs, was a woman that 'kept bidding on My Pen!!!!' I got it for €90....her husband wanted it or she wanted to buy a present for him....grumble cubed. It really is a dark blue pen...navy.
  22. LizEF

Thank you, @lapis, for sharing your extended experience.
  23. Mercian

My first stub nibs

They can though be swapped onto an MR from a Prera, and so can the calligraphy nibs from the Pilot Plumix. If, of course, one can find any such ‘donor’ pens, and is comfortable with the idea of pulling out the pens’ feeds in order to swap their nibs.
  24. Karmachanic

My first stub nibs

Available as a custom grind from your local nib magician.
  25. Mr. Blackthorne

Asvine P36

I agree. Everyone should always flush a pen thoroughly before using it. I knew better and tried it anyway. What it was doing was about the worse I have seen from the hidden manufacturing gunk and it tricked me into considering and or entertaining the idea that something was wrong with the design. The issue with not flushing isn't specific to the stub, it was indeed having the same issue with the stock M. Needing to breathe the pen manually for the feed to catch up with the ink and air exchange is more frequent with a 1.5mm stub on every pen I've ever used. Before it was oversaturated to dry, after the flush I can keep it in the perfect and usable range by breathing it( doing a really small piston movement forward and back) when it gets a little to dry. It might start breaking in and not need much help, I was starting to see it randomly pick up on flow earlier. I am really really happy with this pen. It is excellent. The materials, fit and finish are all seriously impressive, not just for the price, but just impressive period. It's my favorite pen now by far. I like the section and I like the look. It's very fast and easy to fill and now it has my favorite nib on it. 10/10
  1. Load more activity

• Topics

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More