All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. AmandaW

Lamy Joy finial fell off

I gave a Lamy Joy as a gift about a year ago. The recipient just sent this picture... Is this an easy user repair? Or do I get it back for something more involved?
  3. lokesh4730

Parker 45 or 51

I wish I got a 51 for that price and here are the pictures of the flightee so according to the website it was produced from 61-69
  4. I don't go to the reviews section often but I did this evening and saw fluegelfeder's review of the Kaweco Sport Piston. At first I thought it was a vintage one but quickly realized this is a new product. I checked with Cult, it's in stock so I ordered one. I guess that qualifies as impulsive.
  5. Today
  6. penwarrior32

What pen(s) are you using today?

Simple doodle sketches today with my pilot dip pen. Pilot inks.
  7. Thank you @Dan Carmell! I wistfully recall how the Rotring 600 FPs (with gold nibs), then (2009-10) sold in boxes of 12 were unaffordable for me even with the lowest black market prices. Think this was the one in silver. Thank you @Anne-Sophie! Have seen plastic blue, black and red variants. Not sure whether all of those came in Gold/Rose Gold and Silver clips
  8. I have two Jinhao 992s which are fairly new, and it seems that one of them needs a bit more pressure to write clearly than the other. I'm fairly new to fountain pens (These two are my first pens), and I would like some insights on any factor that could affect these. Maybe it's the nib? This issue replicates itself in other papers as well. SPECIFICATIONS: Both pens are Jinhao 992s with a fine nib. Paper used in the photo is the Canson Watercolor Paper, 200gsm (Packaging does not specify any further)
  9. Happy to see Pelikan release more special editions in large sizes. Feels like they have done lots in the M200-M600 sizes, along with 1-2 per year in M800, but this is a rare special M1000.
  10. 2ouvenir

Chinese character studies 中文字學

@RedPie Thanks... but awaiting your contribution! You don't need a Kuretake brush to get started, I use fountain pens for most of my Chinese writing and it is more than sufficient... I mean a lot of Chinese people just use a ballpoint or a pencil. If you want me to submit at a more frequent rate (I know in my OP I did say I was going to do one a day for at least 1000 characters but I think that was me being overly enthusiastic and ambitious at the start of projects; I'd have to do it, then also post it and all the associated things I'd have to do to post it), it would help if others, e.g. you, submit too! This is a judgment-free zone, so submit anything to get me, and others, more motivated. Poem thoughts: What do you think about when can't fall asleep? Original text: 靜夜思 牀前明月光 疑是地上霜 舉頭望明月 低頭思故鄉 李白
  11. I-am-not-really-here

The Never-Ending Story In Three Word Segments...

with British MI6
  12. Misfit

Howdy from Coastal Texas

Welcome to the community. A great place to learn about Pelikan pens is the blog The Pelikans Perch. Lots of information on there by a member here.
  13. @penwarrior32 thank you so very much for the sketch of Kansas City. I truly appreciate it. You did a great job.
  14. Yeah, I wore plastic pocket protectors for decades. I don't have a clue where I got them from. Tommy
  15. penwarrior32

Calling all Travelers Notebook users

@Misfit Thanks for welcoming me. Did a rough doodle sketch of kansas city on my TB sketch insert (kraft paper) dedicated to you. Hope that it's ok.
  16. Another Parker Vector, from off eBay, from a seller I've bought from before. The seller made an offer that I couldn't refuse (basically dropping the original listed price in half! ). And I should have it in about a week and a half at most. Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
  17. I am not 100% certain for this cap. Usually you pull the inner cap and then the clip comes out. The inner cap typically is the part that secures a clip in this style. That is the set up for caps on older Swan pens and many others. See instruction on Z clips. With the streamlined shape of this cap, I am less certain.
  18. inkstainedruth

Ink Color First, Pens Next!

@DlaurenSG Greetings from Pittsburgh! You would have fit right in at a Steel City Nibs meeting here a few years ago when we had an ink-swap night. Of course, FPN's own RonZ was just sitting there twitching all evening, because as a repair guy, he (understandably) mostly always wants to use the same ink for testing -- Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue (when he gets "wild and crazy" he'll use 4001 Brilliant Black... ). Me? My husband tells people that the pen collection was just the "gateway" to the real stash -- the ink collection.... But yeah, finding the right pairing of pen and ink is sometimes interesting. My first "expensive" pen was a 1990s era Pelikan M400 Brown Tortoise with an F nib; my husband was freaking out a little over the price -- but it was for a special occasion and I told him, "Oh -- this is WAY cheaper than a NEW M400 would be! And they don't make the Brown Tortoise any more...." Then what did Pelikan do a few years ago? Make a liar out of me by re-releasing the M400 in that color.... ). I was going to use it for drawing, but the original ink I put in it, Iroshizuku Yama-guri, was just WAY too wet for the pen. But when I put Noodler's Walnut (a very dry ink that I had originally tried in what I didn't realize at the time was a very dry writing pen) into it, the pen coaxed flow out of the ink, and the ink made the F nib less of a gusher (Edelstein Smoky Quartz works well in that pen too). Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
  19. Schaumburg_Swan

Advice and Recommendation

Dear Mercian. +1 to all your points. It's about time and the quality arising from you and the pen... Best Jens
  20. inkstainedruth

Parker 45 or 51

Dang! Nice score! Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
  21. Glenn-SC

Parker 45 or 51

And I paid $4 (plus tax) for a 1st year “51” about 10 years ago at an antique store. Does that mean $4 is now my acceptable limit for a 1st Year “51”?
  22. Yesterday
  23. DlaurenSG

Ink Color First, Pens Next!

Thank you for the welcoming.
  1. Load more activity

• Topics

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More