All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Heinkle

Parker Duofold Centennial Photo Thread

Does that help?
  3. Claes, I think the piston cap is a 400nn........in it's rounded like the 120, 140. The 400 n's piston cap, is a bit rounder than the 400's...I not having an N, ... do have a problem telling it from a a 400. I once bought a '50-54 400 tortoise thinking it a 400n...it wasn't quite. It was a transition '54 400...nib marked, not piston cap marked, but lacking that bit rounder piston cap. I finally got a 400nn tortoise EF Maxi-semi-flex...when it rains it pours 400nn's...got two green striped ones, a KF, semi-flex, and a OF Maxi-semi-flex, my first one, and second Pelikan at all... Two of the 400nn's are late last year or early this year. I got that transition tortoise 400 I mentioned, and the t400nn and a 500 tortoise. I find the tortoise of that era a tad lighter than my 'single' '91-97 400 tortoise (the first of my now 35 Pelikans). I won that at a live auction, and was so noobie, I didn't know it was '90's thinking it was one of those semi-flex 400's I read about on this com. Still a pretty pen, and I've come to like springy regular flex nibs since then. Congratulations on repairing it.
  4. I don't recall having seen anything like it. Good luck and thanks for posting the photos.
  5. Penguincollector

Pen/Ink/Paper Trios

Last night, I was testing out some paper from Florence. It’s interesting paper, felt thick . I forgot to photograph the pens, but they have all been seen before. The dot grid paper is from China, known as Daolin fine writing paper.
  6. Beechwood

Lamy cartridge - alternative use

OP, the quantity of Lamy cartridges that you have is not that big a deal, assuming that you are not as old as me then you will have enough years to live and write and use them up eventually, it is really not worth the trouble of syringing and trying to make Lamy cartridges fit other pens. A few years ago someone wrecked 500 euro Parker 51 2002 by forcing a Lamy cartridge into the pen, an expensive mistake for the sake of a 50 cent cartridge.
  7. Ron Z

Ultrasonic damage

I've had it happen a couple of times over the 20 years or so that I've used mine. I won't discount the possibility of a flaw in the material. But when it happens, it seems that it came with insufficient water in the tank to keep things cool. But I rarely if ever immerse the whole cap, and even less often the barrel in an ultrasonic. A cleaning solution and a test tube brush are sufficient. The ultrasonic is reserved for nibs and feeds, breather tubes that can be completely immersed. Two other factors to consider. A 35-50W ultrasonic is plenty strong enough for pen work. None of the professional units (i.e. Rapidograph etc) has heaters for the tank. Fine for metal parts, never for plastic.
  8. Sailor Kenshin

I just did it. And that's the second time. But there's no reason for you to believe me and I'd hate it if you ruined an expensive pen. I do remember having to push Jinhao/Gullor cartridges onto the point of a thumbtack to break the seal.
  9. Denisgsv

it seems there is a lot of solid plastic on this end, dont think any ink is gonna come out of this end tbh : https://imgur.com/JbIg4To
  10. Bo Bo Olson

Identifying a Wirt Pen

In the1902 Sears and Roebuck catalog replica says the Wirt pen was the best pen made. Pg 98. A Lady's pen, but with a hard rubber cap that is posted for $3.00....., yours has the rest of the ornate cap at $3,75 Number 2 nib, fine, medium or stub...gold pen......nibs still being called pens then. The nib has a feed and a top 'feed' also....Don't know the name of that, but such nibs existed a long time; not just by Wirt. ...................... A Wirt pen is on my 80'th birthday list.....if not then my 90'th. Weirder things have happened.
  11. Sailor Kenshin

No, the Lamy cartridges do fit some standard international-taking pens. The narrow end needs a good push…I just put one in a Five Below pen now. Most of the Lamy Safari pens I bought come with an included blue cartridge. I have a jar full and was happy to learn the other end works in many pens.
  12. Today
  13. yazeh

J Herbin Éclat de Saphir (cartridge)

🙏 That's understandable That's fun to know. Thanks 🙏
  14. I have mixed feelings about this, because you can't really buy a Conid anymore unless you get lucky once in a blue moon; not to mention they are literally an entire order of magnitude different in price. There is something to be said for the idea that mass producing a product much more cheaply than a competitor is also a form of innovation, and I wouldn't say Asvine are cutting many if any corners when considering purely the quality of manufacturing. How much of that is due to larger batch production, manufacturing innovation and how much of it is due to the other factors you mentioned above, that's anyone's guess. But if you're going to draw such heavy inspiration from another product, at least pay attention to the little details. You saved the time it takes to design it, so invest that time you saved into making it as good as can be.
  15. This is a lovely pen. I hope to find one because I developed most of my medical career in Plymouth, England. Actually the CS factory was very close to Derriford Hospital. Now that I have retired I would love to have a memento of my years of practice.
  16. MartinTenbones

Ultrasonic damage

I'm also wondering if it's possible there's a piece of contaminant within the plastic itself. This Waterman uses a box lever so there isn't a ring around it that I'm aware of and you are correct The lever is on the other side. I also find it odd the pen never heated up the first 20 times.
  17. Yeah that's what I was thinking. I would love to try out more Indian-made nibs as for me the feel of the nib is the single most important criteria for liking or disliking a pen. The looks of the pen come after that. I only make an exception for inlaid or inset nibs which I think are the most beautiful. So are there no other Indian nib-makers?
  18. readmore77

A Lurker Says, "HI"

Hey all, I posted a few things a while back and have been lurking off and on ever since. I took a fountain pen hiatus for a while when I was low on discretionary cash, and now that I'm in a bit of a better position, I've been competing with y'all for cheap eBay restoration projects (sorry). I live in Central NY and have noticed that there are not a lot of pen shows out this way... Anyway, I just thought I'd get this thought out there... Do you find yourself just thinking about cleaning up and polishing old pen barrels or sections and replacing sacs? Like while walking or driving or in the shower? I have to believe I'm not the only person that has this... It's just satisfying to think about a newly restored pen! And although I am sooo interested in vintage fountain pens (and modern pens, to a lesser extent), I couldn't really care less about most other antiques or ballpoint pens or whatever. Strange, or no?
  19. joss

Ultrasonic damage

This is not good. The ultrasonic waves generate frictional heat and the water will only cool the parts that are submerged. In this case it could be the pressure bar but that should be located on the other side of the barrel, under the lever. It might be the ring that connects the pressure bar to the lever, if these pens have such a ring? Or something else that sits in the barrel.
  20. Bo Bo Olson

Montblanc Lucky Orange

That one I don't know...just for the last 12 years, Herbin Inidan Orange, or Orange Indian has been on ly list of inks to get. Some folks like Kaweco orange sunrise...it didn't match up to the antique to be re-hydrated Pelikan pre-91, 4001 Orange. ................... Back when I was noobie....I made a HUGE mistake, there was this stand with some 20 4001 colors and I only got one pack of say 8-9 colors...not the full load, in I was hoping to get a €20 flea market fountain pen. I expected them or someone similar in the next couple flea markets....no such luck. When one is 'noobie' one is ever so ignorant, to old ain't in the supply train. I gave away pink, lilac, rose, and some other 'girly' color. Gray and Orange was new to me.... One of these days I have to take PE Moonstone and the remaining two gray 4001 cartridges, Gray and Silver Gray....liked both; Silver Gray most. In the '90's over here in Germany, I was a Ball Point Barbarian, and didn't know Pelikan had some 15-20 different ink cartridges. I had wondered why it had take PE so long to come in with a Gray ink, when they had that great Silver Gray of yesteryear........more than likely the generation that knew about them, retired and moved to Spain.
  21. thx1138

Parker Duofold Centennial Photo Thread

I am most interested in your small collection but all I see is a little coloured box and "image preview" next to it.
  22. MartinTenbones

Ultrasonic damage

23. MartinTenbones

Ultrasonic damage

Well this is a new one for me. I've cleaned and repaired countless pens now. I had a Waterman Stalwart with a very stubborn section I needed to remove to change the sac. I was doing what I normally do. Soak, heat, soak, and also some ultrasonic cleaning to get the section out. I have been trying for days off and on. This morning I put the pen in the ultrasonic and when I took it out it was very hot. Just the pen not the water. It blistered the pen on the opposite side from the lever. This area is above the waterline as I was only just above the nib section with water. I have no explanation as to why. All the other times I had cycled it it hadn't heated up. Any thoughts?
  24. txomsy

Kaweco Sport Piston

Thanks for the review. It is most informative and helpful. I've already started saving for one.
  25. Beechwood

Waterman (England) button fillers around 1950?

There were some short lived oddities around 1948-52 for Waterman, 515 and 511 etc these were button fillers but I didn't think that they had Champion on the barrel
  1. Load more activity

• Topics

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More