All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Following the last 14 types of peak grip parts, I also started developing the Ultem grip section (ebonite feeder compatible). Because of limited materials this time, I will limit the types to less than 10. The grip part below is unpolished. This is how it looks like without ink. Below is what it looks like after it's filled. I think the internal appearance will change over time, but this is roughly how it is. Since Ultem is semi transparent after machined, For the first time in my fountain pen research, I observed the ebonite feed flow. It was very fascinating. If you look at the video below, you can see the air exchange. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M35-uzWixqc&t=6s
  3. RedPie

Adding To The Flock

Great colorful pictures @roshpens
  4. Thank you very much! It will for sure help. I have ordered a brush and ink. I will participate soon as well. I do like that sketch too.😊
  5. I was so excited to try out the Ritma and initially thought the Gala might be better for smaller hands. However, they both have the same issue with the nib section. I love the magnetic cap, but uncapping tends to loosen the nib section ever so slightly that I find myself having to constantly tighten the section before I write. This makes me sad because I love the pen construction. The overall smooth, heavy metal, uniform barrel size also makes me death grip the pen. This leaves my hand achy, and my finger callous irritated. I have to consciously make an effort not to death grip this pen where with other pens (Kaweco sport, perkeo, lamy safari, pilot metropolitan, sailor PGS, etc to name a few) I don't have this death grip tendency. With the Gala this death grip tendency is worsened with the smaller diameter and causes hand cramping. I love the omniflex nibs on both, but the overall design, weight and section issues make me not want to use the pens anymore. That makes me sad.
  6. Shanghai Knife Dude

Majohn P139 on hand

1.3ml. nib size is irrelevant to ink capacity.
  7. NoType

Help identifying nib size

@clint1Were you shopping at a Montblanc boutique? Or at an authorised Montblanc dealer that also sells other brands of pen? The customer experience is sometimes pleasanter at a pen shop than at a Montblanc boutique, sad to say. However, a Montblanc boutique should offer a complimentary nib exchange through their service department within 6 weeks of the pen purchase, if the nib does not suit, and if the nib is still in mint condition (no scratches, marks, or other wear). If one merely dips the nib in ink (rather than filling the pen via the piston); uses only a soft microfibre cloth to very gently wipe the nib free of excess ink; writes briefly to determine the nib’s line width output; thoroughly flushes the nib and feed under running water until the water flowing from the nib and feed is clear and colourless, showing that ink traces have been removed; allows the pen to dry; and then very gently wipes the nib with a soft microfibre cloth for a final polish, taking care not to scratch the (soft) gold or rhodium-coated surfaces; if one can follow all these steps, the nib should remain in mint condition and the Montblanc boutique should accept the nib for a complimentary nib exchange. There’s a great deal of “should’s” in these paragraphs, however, so it is best to confirm that the boutique or shop will honour Montblanc’s complimentary nib exchange program before moving forward with the purchase. Best wishes, and please let us know how you get on.
  8. @mosh_2k7Did this lot exclud the magnifying glass case?
  9. @mosh_2k7This shows the lasting popularity of this fully engraved skeleton pen, and the high regard in which it is held by pen enthusiasts.
  10. A Smug Dill

Recommendation request: replacement for Aurora Black ink

That is correct, according to the information in the PDF file.
  11. Actually only the dot grid is available as 160 pages. Blank is just 96.
  12. Today
  13. I didn't know Barock was an East German brand name. I found a bottle in a castle shop, and thought it a dip pen ink...so it didn't seem to do much....and it either turned bad after 5-7 years or I just decided to make place. I did not put that in a fountain pen. I chase shading inks....and Barock didn't as far as I can remember or it didn't shade in a real flexible dip pen. .................. 4 inks for €22 seems a good deal...
  14. pucipatas

Birmingham Pen Company Experiments

Adding 3 more sets. The latest experiment was done on a different paper that better presents all ink properties. I discovered after the third experiment that the lined paper does not display sheen at all and is so-so for shade. BPC 2 BPC 3 BPC 4
  15. Speaking of impulsive purchases:https://pen-venture.com/products/taccia-hiroshige-ukiyoe-set just landed in my basket...
  16. alexander_k

Royal blues

Somehow I did it again and managed to buy too many Royal Blue inks. It's far from my favourite blue hue but nevertheless useful in broad nibs. In any case, it gave me the opportunity to compare them. The first picture is of what I wrote on a scrap of Lalo 100g paper. It's not a great picture but you can probably see that there's not much difference between Montblanc, Pelikan 4001 and Faber-Castell Königsblau. Pilot Blue, which was added for comparison, is similar but yet slightly more blue (apologies for the tautology but I can't put it otherwise). Also note that the unlabelled cotton swab at the bottom is Pilot Blue. Then I folded the paper, so that only the right part remained visible and left it exposed to the spring sun for a month. The second photograph shows the deterioration of all inks but especially of Montblanc Royal Blue and, surprisingly, Pilot Blue. Pelikan and its presumed sibling Faber-Castell fared slightly better. Finally, I put a wet finger across the paper and then blotted it with a tissue. All inks but Pilot Blue were affected. Bottom line: everything as expected, although I thought that Pilot Blue was more UV resistant.
  17. Just cents different now? Was 20% less than Octopus when I looked, with the Classic inks. I've not seen Octopus in stores, but I've heard that chains here in Germany now stock their inks. 👀 Have you tried any of their Barock branded inks?
  18. Myrtie Hugunin? That name sounds so cool, I would probably keep the name on the pen. 😂
  19. Oops. Dunno how this happens. Sometimes I bid low and accidently buy a pen that needs to be fixed up. Sellers photo. I'm hoping I can carefully sand out the name on the side. Medium nib. I love my "51" Special, figured I should get a gold nib, and a vacumatic. I shouldn't need anymore 51s after this, right?
  20. Penguincollector

What pen(s) are you using today?

I can picture it, lol. Sounds like a color I found at Five Below a couple of years back.
  21. yazeh

Diamine Vivaldi

Diamine is dependable. Though, I believe it has been overshadowed by new brands with flashy bottles. This is on the same page with a grey ink I reviewed. In the photo they look distinct but to the naked eye, especially in low light they can be interchangeable You don't need to preach to the converted I've been listening to the series of Haydn Symphony Crusade videos , and have finally managed to slug through his early symphonies. Truly amazing music. I especially enjoyed the Ádám Fischer recordings (for the early ones). When I had to listen again to Vivaldi for this review, while I found his music enjoyable, in the end it was quite formulaic and repetitive, compared to Haydn's. But I guess the "wig" doesn't help. That was a major turn off for me as young music lover
  1. Load more activity

• Topics

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More