All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. marlinspike

100th Anniversary editions

I guess to be fair I have no idea what kind of lacquer they mean. When I hear the word lacquer, by itself, I assume nitrocellulose lacquer, as that's the one in the US that gets called simply "lacquer." It's what cars were once painted with. It chips and scratches more easily than enamel. Lacquer is easier to apply and faster to dry (and it does in fact dry, not cure). If they mean Chinese/Urushi lacquer, that's a different story, but I feel like they would have specified it if they meant it. I don't know of any enamel Montblancs, but it is the way it's done in jewelry for a reason. I do know of other lacquer Montblancs, like the Napoleon, but it's clear coated over and consistent, whereas the caps here seem to just have the lacquer exposed since it can be felt.
  3. Today
  4. Thank you guys for your helpful advice, and I was given a nib by a friend which I think might suit my writing style better. Appreciate your advice.
  5. That looks amazing, I generally not a huge fan of transparent pens but this is ridiculously good. Congrats! The nib is has so much fine engraving, probably my second preference to nibs with jewels. May I ask what something like this should cost?
  6. I-am-not-really-here

The Never-Ending Story In Three Word Segments...

using edible goldflake
  7. NoType

@marlinspikeMy knowledge of lacquer is limited to Chinese lacquer (plant-based; featured on some S T Dupont pens) and Urushi lacquer (also plant-based). I presume that Montblanc uses synthetic lacquer in pens for which the descriptors “lacquer” and “lacquered” are mentioned. I wasn’t aware that synthetic lacquer’s life expectancy was necessarily abbreviated. Can you shed any light on synthetic lacquer’s fragility? (Or point me in the correct direction for learning more about synthetic lacquer? A cursory internet search has not wielded much thus far.) Many thanks!
  8. DimitriDiak

Thank you, I appreciate your perspective. Regarding the superiority of enamel coatings it is true (although I assume that lacquer coatings have better aesthetics) however I am unaware of their use in Montblanc fountain pens. I was wondering if you knew of any examples where they have been used?
  9. marlinspike

They will make far more money than I ever will by continuing to push themselves as a luxury "lifestyle" brand selling leather backpacks to those who came upon money too quickly or too easily, and then for good measure selling some high 5 and 6 figure pens to people who will use them as a form of contract kickback. I agree that limiting the marbling to the cap is good for the ballpoint, where the asymmetric design means the marbling helps improve the balance of the visual weight. However, to my eye the fountain pen and rollerball would do better to have the effect throughout. In Montblanc terminology, "platinum-coated" is 3 to 4 microns and gold-coated is 15 microns. I'm fine with both, but if they truly lacquered and aren't just badly describing enamel, the failure of the lacquer is a matter of when not if, and that's pretty bad at this price point.
  10. DimitriDiak

I think with the “Ink” effect on the resin caps Montblanc was going for a more delicate. understated design inspired by the different marbling effects of the early Meisterstuck, also updating the marbling of today’s production techniques. Personally I like the limited marbling effect to the cap it is very subtle (depending on the lighting) and contrasts well with the rest of the body. Otherwise the effect would have been blended into the pen and lost. Here are the details of the coatings: DOUÉ LEGRAND:  Platinum-coated with lacquered pattern. Laser-engraved vintage logo. Platinum-coated cap ring. DOUÉ CLASSIQUE & SOLITAIRE LEGRAND: Gold-coated with lacquered pattern. Laser-engraved vintage logo. Gold-coated cap ring.
  11. @mosh_2k7Thank you for this photographic unveiling sequence which makes puts us right in the middle of the action. A holy grail pen indeed! After more than three years of waiting, and possibly many more years of searching, your excitement and satisfaction at finally receiving this work of art is likely incalculable. I have always considered elaborate hand engraving to be part and parcel of a skeleton piece, as with desirable examples from vaunted horologists like Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, and Vacheron Constantin, and so far, to me, only this particular skeleton pen model in Montblanc’s vast and variegated pen portfolio properly fits the bill. What a rarified and exceptional pen! My hearty congratulations to you on its acquisition!
  12. inkstainedruth

What pen(s) are you using today?

Interesting. I vaguely remember learning about the Fibonacci series in some math class in high school, but had to look it up to double check that I remembered what it was *correctly* Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
  13. PithyProlix

Rohrer & Klingner Isatis Tinctoria (2021 LE)

As of now, two bottles, thought to be unobtainium, are available here: https://www.artemiranda.com/gb/rohrer-klingner-schreibtinte-calligraphy-ink-special-colours-limited-edition/29080 Please leave a comment if you nag the last bottle so this isn't a frustrating tease to others!
  14. Yes Sterling Silver. Beautiful pen. The Grifos rep I talked to at the Arkansas Pen Show explained that the pen was named the Gaudi because Gaudi was the mathematician that developed the Fibonacci series and they used the Fibonacci series as the settings on the Guilloche machine to create the spiral pattern! Makes the pen even cooler to me!
  15. NoType

@marlinspike You seem to have an artist’s eye for detail, materiality, and colour, which Montblanc could definitely benefit from.
  16. Correct on both! The first (and last) is Terre de Feu, "land of fire". Correct on the fifth ink! (See my forthcoming comment in @namrehsnoom's review about where a bottle of this unobtainium might be found.) Oh, I cannot agree! It's a blue with a little difference, making it interesting to my eye. Sort of a slightly feminine counterpart to Diamine Prussian Blue.
  17. A Smug Dill

Sailor has a new pen: TUZU!

With the Japanese yen being so low — dropping yesterday (and today further) below AUD $1.00 for ¥100 for the second time this month — the Sailor Tuzu is looking firmer and firmer on my to-buy list when I go to Osaka next month.
  18. They do have a Double Broad and an Italic Broad for the 800.
  19. Thank YOU and it looks great. I grabbed a screen shot and enlarged it in "Paint" so that I could see it more clearly. Really nice! Wishing you lots of enjoyment with this pen and nib.
  20. Amazing pen. I came across a resin 149 75th anniversary a few years back at a really good price but for some reason passed on it. One of the few times I regret not buying a pen.
  21. I'm happy to share. 😊 If it is not fruitful, I hope it is at least fun! You mentioned that your writing is on the smaller side. I, too, appreciate having the option to write tiny. With that in mind, I'll suggest you take a look at Pilot's CM nib, which is found on some Plumix, Metropolitan, and Prera pens. They are dry nibs. If you want a smoother experience, the 1.1mm stub on the Monteverde MVP (a #5 Jowo nib, I believe) loses the dry feel while still providing a thinner-than-average 1.1 line. The old school Sheaffer No Nonsense Fine Italic nibs create relatively thin and crisp lines, but their edges are unforgiving when compared to the stubs above. They're no longer manufactured so you have to buy on the used market, probably from India. Sheaffer's current entry-level calligraphy sets might be just as good but I don't know. Lastly, Birmingham Pens offers Nemosine #6 0.6mm and 0.8mm stubs, but are currently out of stock. I have yet to try them but FPN seems to think highly of them and I am looking forward to giving them a try. There are other good (and more accessible) options, but the above are the thinnest that I know about.
  22. penwarrior32

What pen(s) are you using today?

Yes. Very clingy!!!!! Cheers mate.
  1. Load more activity