All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Please, explain what you mean. With a couple gallons of ink 60-80 years old sitting on the shelves, none have "gone bad." The color of some iron gall inks have changed, but that's it. They are still useable. So, what do you mean by "going bad?"
  3. lestrade

Waterman L'etalon

Hi Ashanta, I cannot believe that we have the exact same pen and the same leak! I bought mine in Toulouse in 1991. It is identical to yours. If you have found a source of repair parts, I would love to get the information. Thanks, Patrick
  4. AceNinja

Lamy Safari Cap Problem

@DLCJr one can DIY fix the Safari's cap "snapping" feel, I've made a video about this.
  5. lestrade

Waterman L’etalon problem

Hi Henk, I have the same pen, which I bought in Toulouse in 1991. My leak problem is caused by a thin crack in the barrel -- same location as in the arrow in your photo. I have had no luck finding a replacement. Patrick
  6. Glenn-SC

Fake Lamy Studio

Are you worried about counterfeit Lamys and then asking about getting into the grey market? I am confused.
  7. Runnin_Ute

"Thick" ink for leaky vintage pen?

Waterman Serenity Blue is not as wet as many more modern ink formulations is true. It is more of a mid range in wetness these days.
  8. Lam1

Pelikan quality

With well over 100 Pelikans of all eras (about 90 or so modern, i.e., from the 90s on). I am of the opinion that quality has declined significantly in the last few years, particularly in the plating of the Mx05 (but not only those). I have had a handful of pens (5 to be precise) whose plating started deteriorating for no reason at all, or that I noticed that it had plating problems only when it was too late - all of these pens had been used only once and stored very carefully (since I have a few hundred pens, it takes a few years for them to come back on rotation). Before anybody says it could be where/how they were stored, there were several others Pelikans and non-Pelikans together with those and they were just fine (also the ones that had problems were all in different storage units). Granted I have one LE from the 1990s whose cap band started flaking (the same happened with the section ring, despite the fact that I avoid contact of the ring with ink). So, maybe the quality has never been there. In any case, all these problems started in the last year and I went from being a die hard Pelikan fan to the point that I totally avoid the brand, unless it is a vintage (and even so I hesitate).
  9. AceNinja

Jinhao 777

not only that, 777 uses lamy still nib. While 599 uses #5 nib & feed.
  10. antares1966

Crane Paper acquired, reopening

Thanks for the explanation, that’s why I enjoy this site so much, such a wide range of experience!
  11. Today
  12. Mercian

Parker ID please?

I think I might have found it now! It looks like your pen may be a Parker ‘Televisor’. They were a version of the 1930s Parker Duofold that were made in a factory in Canada, which Parker had set up in the 1920s to make pens for export to the British Empire. The fact that your nib is stamped ‘Made in USA’ may mean that your pen’s nib was swapped by some previous owner, or that the Canadian factory assembled pens with US-made nibs. Looking at your photos, the nib does seem to be slightly smaller than your pen’s feed, so I suspect that a previous owner may have replaced a damaged original nib. Have a read of http://parkerpens.net/televisor.html, and see whether your pen looks like it could be a ‘Televisor’. That all said, I am puzzled by the part of your pen that is visible between the grip-section and the threads onto which the cap screws. It appears to be opaque, and of a slightly narrower diameter than either the grip-section or the barrel. To me, this suggests that your pen may have been assembled from parts of various Parker pens. Perhaps by a previous owner who had broken e.g. the grip-section of one pen, and so replaced the broken part with a component from another model. Which would make your pen a ‘Frankenpen’ or a ‘FrankenParker’. But if it still writes nicely, who cares? 🙂 Slàinte, M.
  13. I-am-not-really-here

The Never-Ending Story In Three Word Segments...

fixed Edison pens
  14. Wow I'm late to the game. I just bought my first vintage Conklin from Sam and Frank about four months before he passed. He was so lovely on the phone and it's tearing me up that he's gone, can't imagine how Sam is doing. Haven't been on this board in forever but felt the need to necropost because Frank deserves it! Such an awesome human every time I talked to him 😭
  15. bc.hiker

Parker ID please?

Thank you so much for your reply and insight. I appreciate this very much. I'm not familiar enough with Parker pens to even make a guess. I bought this pen maybe 10 years ago and know nothing about it. Just looking for any info on it so that I'd at least know which model fits it. Many thanks. Update: The printing on the Nib states: Parker Duofold Pen - Made in USA.
  16. Mercian

Parker ID please?

I am going through all the models listed on Tony Fischier’s parkerpens.net and looking for something that matches your pen. While the pen body & blind-cap look to me like they may be a 1935 Parker Challenger DeLuxe… http://parkerpens.net/challenger.html …but the cap does not look like that pen’s cap. It seems rather more like it might be from an all-black version of a Parker Duofold Senior DeLuxe (if any such pen was ever made/sold)… http://parkerpens.net/duofold.html The 1916 patent mentioned on your pen’s clip may refer to the ‘washer clip’ patented in 1916, which patent was paid for 17 years, so would still presumably be cited on pens as late as 1935. I will keep looking….
  17. Arkanabar

Jinhao 777

It took me a while to spot the difference between Jinhao's 777 and 599. The former has a round wire clip like a Lamy Safari, while the latter has a clip cut and formed from a sheet of spring steel.
  18. Yesterday
  19. bc.hiker

Parker ID please?

Need help with the ID of this Parker button filler pen. I have looked at the Parker website and am not sure at all of the model. We're in the process of sac replacement on it. The writing on the clip has a Patent date of Sept. 10, 1916 or 1918. Any help from the knowledgeable experts would be most appreciated. Thanks very much!
  20. Lucky for the wicked witch enabler, I already have a 30ml bottle of that ink!
  21. Lithium466

A Poem A Day

I like your translation.
  22. Bo Bo Olson

Montblanc limited inks are...meh

I remember the LE's more at @€15 and the shoe going from €12 to 13 with the new bigger bottle as a 3-4 ink noobie. That diamond, blue diamond or what ever it was impressed me at the start..I bought a second bottle, and haven't opened it, and that tiny bottle of blue ink is still half filled. The old Christmas inks, which I have four bottles total of two of them....showed feathering. Before the Big Gouge, I'd already left MB LE inks....I'd not have Davis, Orange or Yellow but my wife won something at a near by live auction and dropped off at my B&M to do me some good. Got to learn how to perk up that orange.
  23. does anyone know if Conway Stewart ever used a gold imprint on their vintage pens ( C 1949-50) I have just sen one that has a crystal clear gold imprint with the model number under the imprint. The "Made in England" is also in gold. Thoughts? Knoffie
  24. Thank you! I have looked at the Palmer method a little but am not that familiar with it. Never heard of Sykes before. And the website looks fantastic! Will do!! Found a used copy of "The Palmer Method of Business Writing" at abebooks and like the description (partial below): "This vintage text contains a comprehensive guide to the 'Palmer' method of business writing, being a series of self-teaching lessons in rapid, plain, unshaded, coarse-pen writing. 'The Palmer Method' was developed by Austin Palmer in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. It was primarily designed to be a simplified version of the 'Spencerian Method', the major standardized system of handwriting since the mid-nineteenth century, and quickly became the most popular handwriting system in America. This text will appeal to those with a keen interest in the history and development of penmanship, and it is a book not to be missed by the "
  25. I store my collection in dark boxes in a cool place. Decant using sterile syringes wherever possible. Also, decant into TWSBI inkwells / ink bottles which work remarkably well [and look quite smart, too]. Favourite inks sometimes purchased in multiples [Iroshizuku Asa-gao, I'm looking at you]. But mostly, rigorous ink hygiene and fingers crossed!
  26. Dear FPN Members, As avid enthusiasts of fountain pens and their accompanying inks, many of us have amassed quite the collection over the years. However, with a large collection comes the concern of ink spoilage. Do you ever find yourself worrying about your precious inks going bad before you have the chance to use them? In this thread, I invite you to share your experiences, tips, and concerns regarding the preservation of fountain pen ink collections. Whether you have a modest assortment or a vast array of colors, your insights can be invaluable to fellow members seeking to maintain the quality and longevity of their inks. Some potential discussion points include: Strategies for storing and organizing your ink collection to minimize spoilage. Signs that an ink may be spoiling and how to identify them. Best practices for rotating through your ink collection to ensure each bottle gets its fair share of use. Any preventive measures you take to extend the shelf life of your inks. Recommendations for ink brands or types known for their longevity. By sharing our knowledge and experiences, we can help each other enjoy our fountain pen inks to the fullest while minimizing the risk of waste due to spoilage. So, don't hesitate to join the conversation and contribute your thoughts on this important topic. Have a good day!
  27. 's Edison-pen fixation
  1. Load more activity

• Topics

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More