All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. VacNut

Gold Web Vacumatics

If you see all three of these pens together, the differences are more apparent. I wouldn’t worry about the 1/16th” difference. The pens vary in length much more than that, and also from pen-to-pen of the same model. The dimensional differences may partly be from celluloid shrinkage, quality control, and differing manufacturing locations/ times. I am unsure if the black reticulated vacs follow the same sizing. Welcome down the rabbit hole, Alice….
  3. Muchacho

A Review of the Conid Minimalistica

Isn't the Sailor KOP in that same price range ? I also saw many other pens in that range. Nice aquisition by the way. How did you fit a Sailor nib in a Asvine pen ?
  4. thx1138

Parker Duofold Centennial Photo Thread

Yes I can see it now. Wonderful collection.
  5. Have you tried contacting the John F. Kennedy library/museum in the USA? https://www.jfklibrary.org They are the official repository of memory for all things related to his Presidency. As such, I doubt that there are any people in the world who are better-informed about the inauguration memorabilia than them. Edit to add: Are you sure that those are made out of ‘sterling silver’, and that they are not e.g. aluminium pens that were made a company whose name is ‘Sterling’? I do not see any hallmarks on the pens, and e.g. there is a ‘Sterling Pen Company’ in St. Louis. Also, it may help if you could tell us the name on the other pen - ‘Jospeh C. Xxxxxx’? Jospeh C. Xxxxxxx was not JFK’s Vice-President - that was Lyndon B. Johnson - so knowing who the man was, and what connection (if any) he may have had to JFK might help in the effort to find out about your pen.
  6. MartinTenbones

Ultrasonic damage

Thanks Ron. I have learned a lesson this morning indeed.
  7. I usually have 2-3 pens inked with different coloured inks for different purposes. Not so much about the pens. Use all pens for all purposes, except if some pen-ink-paper combo doesn't go well together.
  8. There's Ambitious whose JoWo compatible nib units are available online. Not sure if their nibs are otherwise available directly. There's also Abhay Pen Agencies who make their own nibs for their Mohi pens.
  9. Bobo: 400N/NN -- yes, I know. That's why I call it a "franken-pen": @Estycollector I know it is silly, but I am most proud of my managing to polish it into a nice lustre. Quote from quite another forum "You never ever have to go below 1 micron grit size." The entire forum started to protest: Meh! 1 micron? How much fun is that?????" My "nicest" grit is about 0.1 micron. And yes, that IS fun.
  10. torstar

A Lurker Says, "HI"

Great post! Always thinking about the 30 or so pens in the basket that are crying out for cleaning.... Now that you are liquid you do have a moral and possibly legal obligation to SPEND!!!!
  11. Very nice, @Claes You did a wonderful job!!
  12. Today
  13. Heinkle

Parker Duofold Centennial Photo Thread

Does that help?
  14. Deleted in I didn't read what part was the Franki...... Had to go look at some of my '50-54 pens, to see that cap was not the one on my 400nns. Congratulations on repairing it. That is more than I can do.
  15. I don't recall having seen anything like it. Good luck and thanks for posting the photos.
  16. Penguincollector

Pen/Ink/Paper Trios

Last night, I was testing out some paper from Florence. It’s interesting paper, felt thick . I forgot to photograph the pens, but they have all been seen before. The dot grid paper is from China, known as Daolin fine writing paper.
  17. Beechwood

Lamy cartridge - alternative use

OP, the quantity of Lamy cartridges that you have is not that big a deal, assuming that you are not as old as me then you will have enough years to live and write and use them up eventually, it is really not worth the trouble of syringing and trying to make Lamy cartridges fit other pens. A few years ago someone wrecked 500 euro Parker 51 2002 by forcing a Lamy cartridge into the pen, an expensive mistake for the sake of a 50 cent cartridge.
  18. Ron Z

Ultrasonic damage

I've had it happen a couple of times over the 20 years or so that I've used mine. I won't discount the possibility of a flaw in the material. But when it happens, it seems that it came with insufficient water in the tank to keep things cool. But I rarely if ever immerse the whole cap, and even less often the barrel in an ultrasonic. A cleaning solution and a test tube brush are sufficient. The ultrasonic is reserved for nibs and feeds, breather tubes that can be completely immersed. Two other factors to consider. A 35-50W ultrasonic is plenty strong enough for pen work. None of the professional units (i.e. Rapidograph etc) has heaters for the tank. Fine for metal parts, never for plastic.
  19. Sailor Kenshin

I just did it. And that's the second time. But there's no reason for you to believe me and I'd hate it if you ruined an expensive pen. I do remember having to push Jinhao/Gullor cartridges onto the point of a thumbtack to break the seal.
  20. Denisgsv

it seems there is a lot of solid plastic on this end, dont think any ink is gonna come out of this end tbh : https://imgur.com/JbIg4To
  21. Bo Bo Olson

Identifying a Wirt Pen

In the1902 Sears and Roebuck catalog replica says the Wirt pen was the best pen made. Pg 98. A Lady's pen, but with a hard rubber cap that is posted for $3.00....., yours has the rest of the ornate cap at $3,75 Number 2 nib, fine, medium or stub...gold pen......nibs still being called pens then. The nib has a feed and a top 'feed' also....Don't know the name of that, but such nibs existed a long time; not just by Wirt. ...................... A Wirt pen is on my 80'th birthday list.....if not then my 90'th. Weirder things have happened.
  22. Sailor Kenshin

No, the Lamy cartridges do fit some standard international-taking pens. The narrow end needs a good push…I just put one in a Five Below pen now. Most of the Lamy Safari pens I bought come with an included blue cartridge. I have a jar full and was happy to learn the other end works in many pens.
  23. yazeh

J Herbin Éclat de Saphir (cartridge)

🙏 That's understandable That's fun to know. Thanks 🙏
  24. I have mixed feelings about this, because you can't really buy a Conid anymore unless you get lucky once in a blue moon; not to mention they are literally an entire order of magnitude different in price. There is something to be said for the idea that mass producing a product much more cheaply than a competitor is also a form of innovation, and I wouldn't say Asvine are cutting many if any corners when considering purely the quality of manufacturing. How much of that is due to larger batch production, manufacturing innovation and how much of it is due to the other factors you mentioned above, that's anyone's guess. But if you're going to draw such heavy inspiration from another product, at least pay attention to the little details. You saved the time it takes to design it, so invest that time you saved into making it as good as can be.
  25. This is a lovely pen. I hope to find one because I developed most of my medical career in Plymouth, England. Actually the CS factory was very close to Derriford Hospital. Now that I have retired I would love to have a memento of my years of practice.
  26. MartinTenbones

Ultrasonic damage

I'm also wondering if it's possible there's a piece of contaminant within the plastic itself. This Waterman uses a box lever so there isn't a ring around it that I'm aware of and you are correct The lever is on the other side. I also find it odd the pen never heated up the first 20 times.
  1. Load more activity

• Topics

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More