All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. InesF

paper from Germany

Indeed, it seems to be hard to get outside Europe. The irony is in the fact that you can't buy it in dedicated office stores but in the food supermarket. There it is among the cheapest and, for pen and ink, among the best you can get. This one is the loose sheet 80 gsm paper which is OK-ish, but not great any more. Somewhen during 2023 the composition was changed. If you are lucky and can get one of the old batches, it will be excellent paper. The new is below average. Something similar happened with the formerly excellent Staufen Post, which is now in the range of toilet paper. 👎 Another one is the also discontinued Neusiedler Japan Post 80 gsm, which was available until about 2-3 years ago, but is discontinued as well. 😪 If you find some NOS, buy immediately. This one is the good Kyome (the link points to the blanc, it is also available lined or with square grid). The Brunnen letter pad is another very good paper. If you can live with heavy paper in the range of 90 to 100 gsm, the already mentioned Gohrsmühle paper in loose leafs (Amazon) or Fritz Schimpf letter pad are a strong recommendation. The 80 gsm Rhodia paper is a good choice, but is in its quality a tiny bit below Gohrmühle and Fritz Schimpf. Surprise of 2024 is the Faber Colori pad 70 gsm, which is darn cheap and has surprisingly good compatibility with pen and ink. It makes a bit thinner ink lines (ink repellent?) but is a shading master, similar to the 70 gsm Kyome!
  3. MarcoA63

What pen(s) are you using today?

Watermans Hundred Year Pen in maroon and amber transparent end. Akkerman ink. Medium nib
  4. Cool idea and reuse of an item @txomsy
  5. fabri00

Pininfarina PF Two fountain pen -- a first look

In fact in the box and papers pictured is readable "made in Germany".
  6. Today
  7. Karmachanic

"Generic" Bock#8 nibs

Missed this earlier on. Some of us have no sense (me for example). I have two custom Ebonite Ranga Majestics. One with a Bock Ti #8, and the other with an MB 149 14k nib -FNF housing.
  8. parilla

Jinhao gold?

Thanks for your answers. I had not heard of titanium nitride, it certainly is a good imitation.
  9. Karmachanic

Majohn P139 on hand

Thank you. Didn't watch the 13 minute videos. To solve this long known inconvenience, which is not peculiar to #8 nibs, I use sample vials.
  10. txomsy

On sterilizing ink.

Then, my guess is that for normal, healthy ink, it should suffice with good hygiene. Nothing fancy unless one lives in a nasty location. I still keep bottles I opened 30 years ago containing clean ink. You can guess that some inks I do not use much. What I do: I just keep them in their box in a drawer (not exposed to light), open only to fill the pen (I always use converter or piston pens), introduce the pen tip, fill, take pen out, put pen on a rag (to avoid staining the table) and close the bottle and put it back to storage. Then use the rag to wipe the pen section of ink to avoid staining my fingers (which I invariably stain anyway). I follow that order for I know my careless self and am always terrified I will hit the bottle and spill all its contents over the table if I do not close it immediately. But not because of any specific hygienic reason. Pens... I clean them before switching inks, not every time I fill, with running tap water (good tap water here), and wipe them out if dirty before filling. Nothing fancy. Normal inks have enough biocides to last a long (very long) time unless highly contaminated. At leas that has been my experience so far. Occasionally, for very old bottles, I put some silicon grease on the lid or bottle mouth rubbing with a finger because dried ink can be a problem to open them in the future and I prefer to close them tight to avoid evaporation (ten years ago I had a bottle of black Cross ink -from the '80s- go so thick that it had trouble to run on some pens). So, I do not worry that much as you can see. Yet, my somewhat old Sheaffer, Parker Quink and Penman Ruby, MB Burgundy and some forgotten UK brand bottles first opened 30 years ago are still in working condition. YMMV though: if there is high humidity, light and warmth, there could be a high level of fungi, bacteria and spores floating in the air and contamination might be easier. One should notice that though: stained walls, respiratory diseases, foul smells, etc... tend to (not necessarily) go hand in hand with high spore content, independently of ink.
  11. Penguincollector

What pen(s) are you using today?

Platinum teal short long with a soft 14k EF nib, inked with the eponymous blue black on it’s maiden voyage. Schneider BK406 EF, inked with Diamine Jet Black. Osmiroid B4 inked with Diamine Gold Star. Platignum Gold Nib Cartridge “M.”
  12. Not by far as nice. Anyhow, I'm a bit overwhelmed now, and at work. Will have a look when back home this afternoon to see if I keep something or can produce anything... would hate to lose this thread.
  13. txomsy

paper from Germany

Added: just had a look. It seems to be available on several Amazon stores, among them US, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/-/es/4054153964593/dp/B00MA95R9S https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.amazon.de/-/en/741163/dp/B00UL2LS7G&ved=2ahUKEwis5I_xzteFAxWoTaQEHfQOAJoQFnoECBoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1imz3ZXOWYoQtF1jobEZKJ Don't know if that's the same though...
  14. NoType

100th Anniversary editions

@marlinspike Could you elaborate? (I have been reading this entire thread from its inception over the weeks as posts were created, but I do not remember mention of flaws, of design or manufacturing, so forgive me for being lazy and asking you to possibly repeat yours or another’s points instead of rereading the thread.)
  15. txomsy

paper from Germany

Good to know about that Kyome paper. Thanks for the tip, I'll be on the lookout for it in case it is also available around here.
  16. Speaking of pouches, I stumbled upon a leather football (soccer) themed cigarette pouch last week-end that has a size perfect for carrying several Kaweco Sport (or Liliput) pens on a pocket. Yeah, they'd be in contact and rattling against each other, but, as mine are Stonewashed, Brass or Copper, I do think that would not harm, but rather add to them I prefer to carry them in a pouch 'cos otherwise they tend to lean horizontal, which is a PITA, and this way I can take several with various inks.
  17. NoType

ID of MB pens

@penwarrior32 Thank you for your informed perspective. Your intention to collect a full card suit is inspiring.
  18. northstar

Hello from Utah!

Hello and welcome to FPN.
  19. northstar

Greetings from Norway

20. northstar

Hello from 1° 17′ 0″ N, 103° 50′ 0″ E

21. northstar

Greetings From Southern Illinois

22. northstar

Howdy from Coastal Texas

23. northstar

Hello from Utah :)

24. northstar

Hello From Boston

25. northstar

Hello from Aus

1. Load more activity

• Topics

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More