All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Hi, as a first step, I would flush the pen and clean it thoroughly, then try it again with a different ink. I have occasionally found that a particular ink just won’t work in a particular pen, even though the ink works perfectly in other pens, and the pen works perfectly with other inks. The first time I noticed this phenomenon was with a cartridge of Parker Quink ‘Black’ and both my Parker 45s. The pens work perfectly with most other inks, and my cartridges of that ink work perfectly in my other Parker pens, including the 75 (which is internally very similar to the 45). But my Parker 45s just won’t ‘play nice’ with my cartridges of Parker Quink ‘Black’ 🤷‍♂️ If, after you have flushed out the delicious Diamine Chocolate from your 642 and cleaned it thoroughly, you then find that the pen won’t work with e.g. Waterman Serenity Blue, that would be the time at which I began to suspect that something might be amiss with your pen. Good luck
  3. lukeap69

What pen(s) are you using today?

JunLai 631 Ebonite in a beautiful black with reddish pattern. Beautiful and writes very nicely.
  4. Bo Bo Olson

Pelikan quality

My German B&M gets delivery by truck in small boxes, wheeled in on a dolly. I saw that one day when I was in town. He says he never has any problems. I say a display case is not Goullet packed, so is not safe from hooligan robots or mail-people...seeing if they can toss a package with three caroms or not. Some folks insist a display box or even a light cardboard pen holder is strong enough to withstand the ravages of a post office. ..........I disagree As far as I can tell everyone complaining about misaligned nibs ordered by mail. QED. Way back in digital days of the mid '60's some university did an experiment of how banged up a package gets....the gauge got broken. And that was back in the day when the post office actually cared about keeping packages up, or not breaking the glass labeled packages. Now that was way back when, when there was enough workers and not so much stress as today. I think I've read of modern day transport attempts that also broke the modern gauge. A display case is not a transport case. Goulet or how ever his name is spelt, delivers B-52 bomb packages that bounce, so his goods are properly packed and come on...I would bet, with out miss-aligned nibs.
  5. I have been waiting for the price to go down but it hasn't so far so I ordered a Uni Dive MP.
  6. Ho-hum... a few days ago, my Amazone Prime membership would run out (and I did not feel like renewing it), so I ordered four Wing Sung 3008.They have arrived, and yes, I like them... Have fun! Claes in Lund, Sweden
  7. Today
  8. Toddar68

Pelikan Hub London 2023

Yep. How can you tell? 😉
  9. Mercian

Parker 51 Reminder Questions

When I first got my first “51”, I too found that I had occasional ink on the pen’s section when I uncapped it to write. I assumed that it was leaking ink into the cap/ink-burping because of my body heat. I learned though that this only happened to me when I rapidly-uncapped the pen while holding it nib-downwards, or maybe horizontally. So I now make sure to uncap my “51” pens fairly gently, and while holding them nib-upwards. If I am going to be writing anything more than a quick note, I also take a couple of seconds to post the cap on the back of my pen, with the arrow clip aligned with the nib. This serves as a great visual aid for orienting the pen to the optimum angle for writing. On the issue of pressing the filler bar 7 times instead of 4 (or 8 times instead of 6, etc) in my experience it won’t ‘over-fill’ the pen. When the pen is completely full of ink, more press/release cycles will merely exchange ink between the pen and the bottle, rather than exchanging air from the pen for ink from the bottle. If one refills one’s pen slowly and methodically - insert nib into ink, press bar firmly but not rapidly, release bar, wait for a few seconds, then repeat the whole sequence - then four-six iterations should be sufficient to fill the sac completely. Rushing the cycle - by missing out the pause between releasing the bar and pressing it again - runs the risk of not allowing enough time for atmospheric pressure to push the ink up into the pen’s sac. ’Best practice’ is, of course, to then lift one’s pen out of the ink, wipe off any excess ink on the inside of the lip of the bottle, then gently squeeze the filler bar until one-four drops have ink have fallen out of the pen and back into the bottle of ink. Releasing the bar then draws a little bit of air back up into the hood/collector, and will minimise the chances of any ink leaks/burps occurring. Not doing this last step does of course increase the risk of ink getting into the cap of one’s “51”. After having done that, one can wipe-down the pen to remove any remaining excess ink, and re-cap the ink bottle, etc. Each of these steps takes only a couple of ticks of ‘mindfulness’, and one could consider each of them to be part of one’s ‘ritual’ of ‘correct usage’ of, and/or displaying the ‘proper respect for’ the kami of, one’s “51” (if the idea of applying this concept to a manufactured item such as a pen is not blasphemous. My apologies to the adherents of Shinto if it is). Slàinte, M. Edit to add: If your friend lives somewhere that exhibits wide fluctuations in temperature - e.g. between day-time and night-time, or between indoors and outdoors - then the thermal expansion of ink may be a potential issue. For anyone who lives in such an environment, the practice of expelling a few drops of ink every time one refills one’s pen, and remembering to always and only carry it with its nib-upwards, are both strongly advised.
  10. Hi! I've just received a Montblanc 642, and was excited to note piston action works, and I've filled it 50% with Diamine chocolate brown ink. It works well for half a page of (cursive) writing, but then becomes hard start on each word, and becomes dry. I can push some more ink out using the piston and it works again. I'm thinking perhaps the ink-flow from the ink reservoir to the feed is lower than the ink flow from nib to paper? Anyone know how to disassemble nib and feed? Is it twist or pull, or do I need any special tool?
  11. TSherbs

J Herbin Éclat de Saphir (cartridge)

Your artwork utilizes this ink much better than standard writing does. Thanks for the review. I don't do art, so I still won't get this ink....
  12. I-am-not-really-here

The Never-Ending Story In Three Word Segments...

-dinner dessert choice
  13. Mercian

Pelikan quality

That part is only a symptom of Pelikan’s officially-contracted US distributor (Chartpak?) protecting its pricing strategy. In most countries, and for most purchases, one usually finds that the company that has bought the official contracts for distribution/repair will refuse to honour warranties on items that were bought from any ‘unofficial’ source. And that they will be happy to repair any such item in exchange for a ‘fair market price’ (defined by them in their capacity as the holder of the local monopoly on the provision of such services). Not that this has factor has anything to do with your woeful experiences with your recent purchases of M100x pens!
  14. Azulado

Pelikan quality

According to Pelikan, purchasers of its fountain pens are entitled to exchange the nib for one month after purchase. I bought a Pelikan M200 and in the warranty it says very clearly that I have three years to service any defect. A friend of mine who owns a number of Pelikan pens told me that the M1000 is particularly prone to these problems. He also told me that if you're buying an M1000 and don't want to take any risks, the best thing to do is go to a shop where they test the pens themselves.
  15. From photos I've posted I'm told by FPN members that my pen is most likely a Parker Televisor button filler but it has a Duofold gold nib. My earlier posts are in the Parker section of the forum with photos and I've posted in this Repair section. Going from the guidance on the sac size chart we have tried a size #16 sac (per the chart but too small) and a size #17 which is a much better fit but it still doesn't work when the button is depressed. The question is, would this pen require a sac with a neck or a straight sac? It's a small pen with an overall length when capped of 4.25". Any info from the experts would be very much appreciated. I want to buy the correct sac size but there's the question of a sac with a neck or no neck? If the pressure bar is the problem are there any sources for a replacement pressure bar? Thanks for your help!
  16. 2ouvenir

Sailor has a new pen: TUZU!

I believe the gray and "puke green" are inspired by the two most popular ink colors from their Ink Studio line (123 and 162); black, blue, and red are inspired by standard ink colors.
  17. I-am-not-really-here

The Never-Ending Story In Three Word Segments...

gel-filled bon bons
  18. kik595

Do you have trusted sellers for MB pens?

Hope you find something cool - one small tip though, ask/remind for extra wrapping when ordering inks - he's a bit on the older side and can forget bubble wrap on bottles now and then! Pens have always been immaculately packed.
  19. dbs

Pelikan quality

I have bought two m1005, two m1000 recent years, none of them can write properly out of box. Every pen has this or that line skips/hard to start and need nib adjustment. I have bought two m800, one m101 5 years ago, at least all can write out of box. Because of so many repair requests, Pelikan US service center now refuses to repair any Pelikan pens not purchased from a handful US dealers (far less than 5, I think), even though I can pay for the service.
  20. Pelikan Twist YELLOW!! Jinhao 159 Jinhao 999 Twins Dragon. Heavy but good!
  21. @Claes That looks fantastic! Congrats to your "new" Pelikan! Very nice!
  22. Paul-in-SF

Parker Duofold Centennial Photo Thread

Since I posted my Centennial pens two and a half years ago, I have been busy. The bottom row is all but one of my Centennials; the other one is the MkIII Big Red on the left of the next row up, followed by my only demi in Check Olive (a material I didn't like well enough to spend for a Centennial) and my four Internationals, two of which are duplicates of Centennials and will probably be sold on. I keep thinking I want one of the Yellow LE's (Mandarin or Cloisonné) but whenever I see one I get gunshy from the price; same with some of the other LEs that I occasionally lust after. These are all pens that I really like the materials on (not so much the Burgundy Chevron, it's a little heavy). Oh, you can also see my collection of 51 double-jewel vacs.
  1. Load more activity

• Topics

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More