All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Today's pen will be a Montblanc Carrera, 1970's orange plastic chic! Diamine's Ancient Copper ink.
  3. The transparency/opacity of the sleeve is, after all, a "cosmetic" issue. A real step back in quality is, in my opinion, the use of the "unified" cap and knob rings on the recent M800 green demo and on the soon-to-be released M1000 Reinassance Brown. These rings are simply glued (like in the cheaper M200 series) instead of being embedded in the resin (and they also look gaudy).
  4. See https://www.instagram.com/p/C54-tsfK9_U/?img_index=1. It seems like the cheaper, glued-on "unified" rings they used on the M800 green demo are used here, too.
  5. Beechwood

What Parkers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

Awfully high sounds very Downton Abbey. I need to up my game. But I agree, it does.
  6. USG

Pen/Ink/Paper Trios

I've been lax in taking photos... 10 Pens 10 Inks 1 paper : Cosmo Snow CLICK TO ENLARGE
  7. I-am-not-really-here

The Never-Ending Story In Three Word Segments...

full of crocodiles
  8. Today
  9. If that only generated two inks, then it seems the other thread under represented Noodler's. I'll start with some classics: Black Swan in Australian Roses Apache Sunset / Southwest Sunset Navajo Turquoise / Mesa Turquoise Air Corp Blue Black Golden Brown Kiowa Pecan / Pecan Revolution Blue There are many more that don't strike my brain at the moment, but Noodler's is indeed a great brand for shading (and one of your only options if, like me, you want shading plus water resistance). As for some mixes.... (Search the names here in the forum) Navajo Turquoise + 54th Mass + a touch of Black or Old Manhattan Blackest Black= "Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater" (a favorite recipe from the site) Private Reserve Plum + OMBB (or Black) = Old Private Blackest Plum (note: I am biased, because this is my mix)
  10. I have Conid branded and stock Bock Ti nibs. Both are soft and wet. Your Conid pens will probably be more comfortable with Conid nibs.
  11. I think the nip is stuck too deep.
  12. I searched inkswatch to see what came up as close in color to MB Emerald. There’s a few that are close, maybe De Atramentis Petrol. Here are the results of my query: MontBlanc Emerald alternatives
  13. Lam1

Pelikan M1000 Renaissance Brown

A M1000 is one of the very few models capable of making me wish another Pelikan. So it's tempting. But, they could have been a little more creative, couldn't they? And the new cap band looks so cheap. I'll have to think hard. If it is like the M800 Renaissance Brown, it is translucent and you can see the ink level with a light in the background.
  14. This model was called the Gold Relief. Late '50s or early '60s? I have one. It's a fun little pen.
  15. Penguincollector

Ink

Bottles and swatches
  16. thx1138

Parker 105 question

I've been using parker converters in my 105's since I got them. Never had any problems with the six or eight 105s in my collection. I do have a few spare sections, so if I break one I won't sob for too long.
  17. BamaAl

What Parkers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

It’s the newer version. I got offered one of the early “premiums” for $186 the other day but that sounds awfully high to me.
  18. I haven’t used a Conid #6 gold nib but have used a #8. It’s been a while but I think the gold nib is firmer than my titanium Conid nibs (both #6 and #8). All my Conid nibs are very good overall, probably because the small volume allows better quality control.
  19. Mulrich

Pelikan M1000 Renaissance Brown

I think there Renaissance finish is semi transparent.
  20. Welcome! Hope to meet you in person. We just called for another pen posse this Sunday. And yes… SF Pen Show is coming soon. So excited!
  21. A posse has been called. Let’s get together once more! If you were lucky enough to get a tax refund, please share any stationery items will be bought. 😃 Sunday, April 21 at 1:00pm Peter’s Cafe 10 El Camino Real, Millbrae, CA 94030
  22. I-am-not-really-here

The Never-Ending Story In Three Word Segments...

embracing the bloat
  23. marlinspike

Montblanc at the Fountain Pen Hospital

I believe year over year fountain pen global sales have grown every year for a decade or so now. The North American market has had shrinking years, but the world is not America. Drastic price increases are not a solution for most brands. Except for those with the strongest marketing, the business model of let's sell fewer but at a rip off margin doesn't work. Watches are not comparable to anything else, as many of the brands business models rely on being used for bribes in corrupt countries (Piaget sales basically track the extent of anti corruption enforcement in China). If you add it all up, I have cleared $10,000 in MB (wow, never thought of it that way) and they've pretty much lost me as a customer at this point with their current full ripoff approach.
  24. Clairefontaine Neo Deco (actual A5 notebooks) 96 pages. I used to be able get them for about $8.50-$9.00 each. The last ones I bought were about $11.00 each.
  25. JCC123

Montblanc at the Fountain Pen Hospital

Perhaps, let's see if the trend holds as gen Z and most of millenials don't know how. They are supposed to be the current buyers in support of these companies, but they're not since they don't know how. Younger ones won't be buying until much later. By then, a lot more companies will go out of business. Pelikan is likely to go under soon. They will need to raise prices drastically in order to compensate for the volume shortfall like Montblanc, Leica, Rolex etc...to stay in business. If, they can get people to pay. All these businesses of dying industries from the last century. Relics....
  1. Load more activity