All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. inkstainedruth

What pen(s) are you using today?

Interesting. I vaguely remember learning about the Fibonacci series in some math class in high school, but had to look it up to double check that I remembered what it was *correctly* Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
  3. PithyProlix

Rohrer & Klingner Isatis Tinctoria (2021 LE)

As of now, two bottles, thought to be unobtainium, are available here: https://www.artemiranda.com/gb/rohrer-klingner-schreibtinte-calligraphy-ink-special-colours-limited-edition/29080 Please leave a comment if you nag the last bottle so this isn't a frustrating tease to others!
  4. Yes Sterling Silver. Beautiful pen. The Grifos rep I talked to at the Arkansas Pen Show explained that the pen was named the Gaudi because Gaudi was the mathematician that developed the Fibonacci series and they used the Fibonacci series as the settings on the Guilloche machine to create the spiral pattern! Makes the pen even cooler to me!
  5. NoType

100th Anniversary editions

@marlinspike You seem to have an artist’s eye for detail, materiality, and colour, which Montblanc could definitely benefit from.
  6. Correct on both! The first (and last) is Terre de Feu, "land of fire". Correct on the fifth ink! (See my forthcoming comment in @namrehsnoom's review about where a bottle of this unobtainium might be found.) Oh, I cannot agree! It's a blue with a little difference, making it interesting to my eye. Sort of a slightly feminine counterpart to Diamine Prussian Blue.
  7. A Smug Dill

Sailor has a new pen: TUZU!

With the Japanese yen being so low — dropping yesterday (and today further) below AUD $1.00 for ¥100 for the second time this month — the Sailor Tuzu is looking firmer and firmer on my to-buy list when I go to Osaka next month.
  8. They do have a Double Broad and an Italic Broad for the 800.
  9. Thank YOU and it looks great. I grabbed a screen shot and enlarged it in "Paint" so that I could see it more clearly. Really nice! Wishing you lots of enjoyment with this pen and nib.
  10. Amazing pen. I came across a resin 149 75th anniversary a few years back at a really good price but for some reason passed on it. One of the few times I regret not buying a pen.
  11. I'm happy to share. 😊 If it is not fruitful, I hope it is at least fun! You mentioned that your writing is on the smaller side. I, too, appreciate having the option to write tiny. With that in mind, I'll suggest you take a look at Pilot's CM nib, which is found on some Plumix, Metropolitan, and Prera pens. They are dry nibs. If you want a smoother experience, the 1.1mm stub on the Monteverde MVP (a #5 Jowo nib, I believe) loses the dry feel while still providing a thinner-than-average 1.1 line. The old school Sheaffer No Nonsense Fine Italic nibs create relatively thin and crisp lines, but their edges are unforgiving when compared to the stubs above. They're no longer manufactured so you have to buy on the used market, probably from India. Sheaffer's current entry-level calligraphy sets might be just as good but I don't know. Lastly, Birmingham Pens offers Nemosine #6 0.6mm and 0.8mm stubs, but are currently out of stock. I have yet to try them but FPN seems to think highly of them and I am looking forward to giving them a try. There are other good (and more accessible) options, but the above are the thinnest that I know about.
  12. Today
  13. penwarrior32

What pen(s) are you using today?

Yes. Very clingy!!!!! Cheers mate.
  14. Mercian

Mercian’s Miscellany

As the album's name suggests, a miscellany. Some pen-related items; some not.
  15. marlinspike

100th Anniversary editions

Interesting to hear this about the older ones. It's on none of my older ones, but I pretty much never see a new one without it recently. I can't think of a single fountain pen reviewer who has any idea on how to judge jewelery (which actually is what fine writing is, at this price point for what you're getting it should be van cleef level). Mostly it's just a bunch of ooing and ahhing, and if they do say anything negative it will be about how it doesn't post or too many turns to uncap or some other thing that completely misses the point. Personally, I think these are a much better effort than the 75th and 90th, but they should have marbelized all the plastic for the full plastic ones (yes, I realize then they can't use the same barrel as the doue, but at this price point they shouldn't worry about that) and I really hope they mean to say enamel when they say the doue have lacquer on the caps. I also think the tone of gold and coral they use don't pair well. Maybe their champagne gold would have but hard to say without seeing it done.
  16. That's true, I only used the cartridge because I'am still waiting on various ink bottles I have ordered online. I definitely look forward to using interesting ink colours but for now the cartridge will suffice. Thanks for your in depth advise and recommendation.
  17. As far back as my first trip to England 27 years ago I remember asking my dad why we get so many fewer pounds for our dollars only to have to give the same number of pounds for things as we do dollars. That said, I fermenter Germany being more expensive than the USA too and now things are much cheaper there, even groceries.
  18. Yesterday
  19. Last weekend I got to try a Kaweco sport for the first time. Just one sentence written with it mind you. I liked it so much I came home and ordered two of them. One medium and one broad. The broad was a mistake. It was supposed to be a fine but I screwed up when I placed the order. But it sure was a lucky mistake. I’d been wanting my first broad anyway. 🤣 These things write like a dream! As good or better than some rather expensive pens.
  20. Hello, I work with a lot of historical handwriting from the Victorian and Edwardian period and I am looking for a workbook or practice book from that era. I am not really looking for any fancy Copperplate or Spencerian scripts. As a historian, I have seen the handwriting of at least a hundred different people from the era, mostly British royalty and politicians, and I rarely if ever see anything closely resembling those scripts being used in their correspondence. Should I try Vere Foster?
  21. TSherbs

Pilot Prera Medium Review

I miss my Prera. Gonna ink it up again....
  22. Amazing!!! Thank you for sharing this special piece. Such a rare and joyous occasion.
  23. TSherbs

Organics Studio "Emily" in Washington Post Article

Is this a post just to "torture" moi? I have already ranted against that terrible ink color/author combo. And now, this WaPo parody? If you wanna write about "tortured poets," at least use only tortured poets. Williams, Byron, Milton, Shelley, cummings....whaaaat?
  24. Bo Bo Olson

Gold nib vs steel nib

No where in the same flex level as a good dip pen....but for fountain pens, I've not run into better steel nibs than Osmia, which matched their grand gold nibs. This is of course the semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex level. 3 X tine spread vs a light down stroke. For something you can lay hands on... '22-mid-late 50's Osmia and later Osmia-Faber-Castell Supra nibs are (mostly) Maxi-semi-flex nibs and the gold ones do match the steel ones....stainless steel as far as I can tell. The Osmia nibs with a small diamond with the size number mostly in it are mostly semi-flex again where the gold does match the grand steel nib.... Those are those are real good nibs. The Osmium compound they bought from a Heidelberg metallurgical professor in 1922 was one of the better tipping of all time...or at least in that time. Had I then the 20-30% extra money above Pelikan level, I'd had an Osmia collection and not a Pelikan one. Geha was also made by Osmia/Degussa, So I do have a maxi-to go with once was 4 semi-flex 790's....Now three ,in I found out my lung doctor was a noobie fountain pen user....and sold a 790 semi=flex to him at a fair market price. Gives me something to talk to him when I visit. When one has 35 semi-flex, giving up a good balanced Geha 790 don't hurt. It could well be in I never got that book on nib geometry there are tiny bits of differences inthe nibs that I can't see with the steel nibs. Gold I guess is a slightly different alloy....could be the geometry...I don't look close enough...Grand is good enough for me. . But I have maxi semi-flex nibs from MB, Pelikan, Geha....because Degussa who took over Osmia's nibf actory in 1932, made gold ribbon wheels for Osmia....my WOG it being either a bookkeeper decision or a lazy warehouse worker grabbing the first gold ribbon wheel he could find...was why MB, Sonnecken, Geha, and Pelikan have maxi-semi-flex nibs they never advertised...either they dint' catch on or it wasn't worth changing the advertisements of their nibs. Degussa was and is the main gold and silver producer in Germany.It was much cheaper to buy a gold or steel ribbon wheel, than taking a gold bar and making a ribbon in the nib making shop. Degussa stopped making nibs in @ 2000.
  1. Load more activity

• Topics

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More