All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Garish...neon named inks....and even in the bottle they looked garish.
  3. SLinkster

Majohn P139 on hand

Thanks for the info. Nib size can affect pen size, which can affect ink capacity...Along with a lot of other things.
  4. Well, 5 minutes of research later... that all pretty well tallies with the "official" history on the company website. https://www.octopus-office.de/shop/en/barock/#:~:text=The history of Dresden Barock,could be called document proof. One peculiar bit of decision making- why relaunch a historic brand name with one nice historic set and one fluorescent neon set?? Target a specific market or at least keep some consistency, surely. Putting out only "classic" inks under the newly acquired brand name would have been a good opportunity. Different bottles to the Octopus/Diplomat inks would have also helped the new relaunched brand to stand out. The modern/garish stuff could go under the Octopus Fluids brand, or a newly invented one. Especially with the 200th anniversary only two years away...
  5. 🤣 hey, that might be my new pen name (ba dum...*snare drum*) Here all week, folks, here all week...
  6. Only came with the display box. No outer sleeve, no out box, no magnifying case unfortunately. Thats why I was secretly hoping that it would have sneaked under the radar
  7. Apparently it was the biggest manufacturer of ink in the old East Germany and became state run. After the fall of the Berlin Wall the company was effectively dissolved, and one retired gentleman and one younger former employee kept the business going until a decade or so ago. Octopus bought the brand name as it had 200 years of history behind it, and because they operate from (or near by) the former site. I say apparently because I haven't verified it all- it was present on a couple of the ink reviews. At least two of the Barock inks look to be shading inks- ones from the 1910 (art deco era) range.
  8. I just bought 3 Chinese inks, one is 久久 Blue, another blue black that is too blurry in the picture to read, and a red shimmer ink from the tropical fish series. Trying to find the perfect red is harder than expected.
  9. roshpens

Adding To The Flock

Thank you ☺️!
  10. Following the last 14 types of peak grip parts, I also started developing the Ultem grip section (ebonite feeder compatible). Because of limited materials this time, I will limit the types to less than 10. The grip part below is unpolished. This is how it looks like without ink. Below is what it looks like after it's filled. I think the internal appearance will change over time, but this is roughly how it is. Since Ultem is semi transparent after machined, For the first time in my fountain pen research, I observed the ebonite feed flow. It was very fascinating. If you look at the video below, you can see the air exchange. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M35-uzWixqc&t=6s
  11. Today
  12. RedPie

Adding To The Flock

Great colorful pictures @roshpens
  13. Thank you very much! It will for sure help. I have ordered a brush and ink. I will participate soon as well. I do like that sketch too.😊
  14. I was so excited to try out the Ritma and initially thought the Gala might be better for smaller hands. However, they both have the same issue with the nib section. I love the magnetic cap, but uncapping tends to loosen the nib section ever so slightly that I find myself having to constantly tighten the section before I write. This makes me sad because I love the pen construction. The overall smooth, heavy metal, uniform barrel size also makes me death grip the pen. This leaves my hand achy, and my finger callous irritated. I have to consciously make an effort not to death grip this pen where with other pens (Kaweco sport, perkeo, lamy safari, pilot metropolitan, sailor PGS, etc to name a few) I don't have this death grip tendency. With the Gala this death grip tendency is worsened with the smaller diameter and causes hand cramping. I love the omniflex nibs on both, but the overall design, weight and section issues make me not want to use the pens anymore. That makes me sad.
  15. Shanghai Knife Dude

Majohn P139 on hand

1.3ml. nib size is irrelevant to ink capacity.
  16. NoType

Help identifying nib size

@clint1Were you shopping at a Montblanc boutique? Or at an authorised Montblanc dealer that also sells other brands of pen? The customer experience is sometimes pleasanter at a pen shop than at a Montblanc boutique, sad to say. However, a Montblanc boutique should offer a complimentary nib exchange through their service department within 6 weeks of the pen purchase, if the nib does not suit, and if the nib is still in mint condition (no scratches, marks, or other wear). If one merely dips the nib in ink (rather than filling the pen via the piston); uses only a soft microfibre cloth to very gently wipe the nib free of excess ink; writes briefly to determine the nib’s line width output; thoroughly flushes the nib and feed under running water until the water flowing from the nib and feed is clear and colourless, showing that ink traces have been removed; allows the pen to dry; and then very gently wipes the nib with a soft microfibre cloth for a final polish, taking care not to scratch the (soft) gold or rhodium-coated surfaces; if one can follow all these steps, the nib should remain in mint condition and the Montblanc boutique should accept the nib for a complimentary nib exchange. There’s a great deal of “should’s” in these paragraphs, however, so it is best to confirm that the boutique or shop will honour Montblanc’s complimentary nib exchange program before moving forward with the purchase. Best wishes, and please let us know how you get on.
  17. @mosh_2k7Did this lot exclud the magnifying glass case?
  18. @mosh_2k7This shows the lasting popularity of this fully engraved skeleton pen, and the high regard in which it is held by pen enthusiasts.
  19. A Smug Dill

Recommendation request: replacement for Aurora Black ink

That is correct, according to the information in the PDF file.
  20. Actually only the dot grid is available as 160 pages. Blank is just 96.
  21. I didn't know Barock was an East German brand name. I found a bottle in a castle shop, and thought it a dip pen ink...so it didn't seem to do much....and it either turned bad after 5-7 years or I just decided to make place. I did not put that in a fountain pen. I chase shading inks....and Barock didn't as far as I can remember or it didn't shade in a real flexible dip pen. .................. 4 inks for €22 seems a good deal...
  22. pucipatas

Birmingham Pen Company Experiments

Adding 3 more sets. The latest experiment was done on a different paper that better presents all ink properties. I discovered after the third experiment that the lined paper does not display sheen at all and is so-so for shade. BPC 2 BPC 3 BPC 4
  1. Load more activity