All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Karmachanic

My first stub nibs

Pilot offers the SU nib - 0.7± on the 912, 742 and 743 pens
  3. Bromio

Minimal play in Pelikan M600 knob

I've tried to push down when the piston is fully retracted, with none to minimal success. Maybe I didn't apply sufficient force, but I didn't feel comfortable pushing harder. Apparently there is no gap between the grip knob and the barrel, though. The pen is under warranty. Should I send it to Pelikan or is this not worth it? I am afraid that the cure may be worse than the disease.
  4. RJS

New ink day! with commentary

Looks like it was a one man band kind of outfit- and now he's busy with his kids and normal work, judging by his Instagram. Not sure why he slipped away silently, though? Maybe he didn't plan for his hiatus to last a year and counting?
  5. Number99

Basic Noob question about Pilot converters

It has been pointed out to the Japanese community that some Pilot fountain pens have longer section pegs/nipple, in which case "Dead Space" is more likely to be apparent. CON-70N is an improved converter with an agitator added to solve the "suspended ceiling phenomenon" that occurred with the CON-70. The "suspended ceiling phenomenon" is a phenomenon in which ink sticks to the space above the converter and does not come down. The CON-70 CON-70N is a converter for tip fill feed for the Custom 74 series, 845, Heritage, and the NEW Elabo (Metal body). https://ameblo.jp/kamisama-samasama/image-12564705139-14499380871.html https://www.sumi-ri.com/ink-converter.html There is no information on how it works for other fountain pens. Even if it is possible to install it, it may be difficult to immerse it in ink until the Section or to operate the inhalation. Or it may not function efficiently as an aerometric type converter. I am guessing that the converter pipe and the feed groove need to be connected. Sorry, I have only seen the Elite and Lady Short feed/collector. The Japanese specialty shop website has a proviso: "Some of the above models cannot be installed due to body size, so please consult with them before purchase. This post of mine consists of quotes from Japanese articles. ( It is not accompanied by any experience with converters other than CON-40). So please make supplementary corrections.
  6. I finally managed to get my specimen of this beautiful pen. Not much else to say , just that it is a great writer and a classic looking piece.
  7. The next pen club meeting will be back at the library. 2pm I will see you at - 800 S. Bartlett Road. West Meeting Room - When you enter the front door, go to the right into the main library. Then turn left at the circulation desk. Our meeting room will be straight ahead from there. This will be the last meeting before the Chicago Pen Show. I will have several of the auction lots with me. See you there. Roger
  8. Yeah… C'est la vie… Now I will talk about transparent ink. I could not find a description of transparent ink on the Kuretake website, but a specialty brush pen store that sells Mannen mouhistu describes it on their website as follows https://www.fudepen.com/faq/clogging.html It is described as "a transparent liquid containing preservatives" and describes its function as "preventing the tip of the pen from drying out. Natural hair brush pens sold by various manufacturers are fitted with similar platinum-type cartridges, and most manufacturers describe them as " transparent ink”. I once inquired about this to another company, and they advised me not to worry about it after the cartridge ink is installed because it is installed to be ready for immediate use after purchase. In other words, the ink cartridges have the same function. Although not a kuretake, I would like to share a link to the general handling instructions page for brush pens, including " Mannen mouhistu" on the Japanese website of the brush pen specialty store "fudepen.com" for your reference. They recommend that you insert a new ink cartridge and keep the pen on its side for long-term storage. (It is usually stored upright with the tip facing up.) https://www.fudepen.com/guidance/about.html If it is unclear what the "preservative" in transparent ink is, it would be difficult to fill an empty cartridge with anything other than "distilled water". I think the most reliable maintenance method is to use the pen frequently. When the ink output becomes poor, I wash the tip of the pen gently and carefully in a cup with water. In my case.
  9. Today
  10. Heinkle

Parker duofold signature edition

Thanks for sharing this, was unaware it existed. The 2024 Parker trend seems to be producing hard-to-find, poorly publicised Duofolds based on the all-metal prestige model, so I can guarantee you it will exceed the £1000 / $1000 price tag. The Pioneer Collection Duofold (shown in the left hand banner and also based on the prestige) fits this MO; in the few places it is available the price exceeds £1000 / $1000.
  11. lokesh4730

Parker 45 or 51

Why were the c/c 51 not received nicely if the 45 were
  12. RJS

My first stub nibs

Thanks for the link, and the friendly welcome to the world of stubs 😀 I'm surprised how easy I find it to write with both stub nibs- I'd heard it took some practice and could come across as skippy at first. Do Pilot sell any 1mm stubs or are they all mislabeled by Western retailers? I'm looking at the $200+ pens. I'm curious what CM alternatives there are out there, because they'd be usable for me as day to day pens, while the 1.1stub I have will be relegated to occasional use as a curiosity or for special occasions- birthday cards and Christmas cards. My lovely grandmother was interested in calligraphy in her later years, and always made the cards for her many children and grandchildren look beautiful.
  13. lokesh4730

Parker 51 vs 61

Thank you all for the replies
  14. lokesh4730

Parker 51

There is a 9xxx nib!!?
  15. lokesh4730

Lady sheaffer stylepoint

Hi Teri I was the one who sent that email to you
  16. Ranga pens are always in an evolutionary process .New colours, clips and designs. I have a list of new pens from Ranga that I want to buy, I go to the Peyton ST Pens information site on a regular way to see what new pens are available.
  17. penwarrior32

Best way to trim collection?

Will try out Mercari. Thanks mate. Not sure whether there is other marketplace that I can try to sell to like minded buyers.
  18. strsljen

Fixing Pelikan pen

OK, here is the resolution: after detailed check, conclusion is that there are no broken pieces on any end. Based on information found, I got some two-component epoxy (Loctite), cleaned both ends well, and glued it together. I didn't want to overuse the glue (not very found of drawning objects in glue). Epoxy itself is a nasty thing. No need to use it more than required. In addition, I lubricated the piston with silicon greese. Now it moves so much smoother. That was the first time I did it, btw. So this really made the difference. Assembled, tested and ready for use. Let's hope no major hickps are done and no new angry Hulks get this one in their hands. Thanks a lot for advices and help! Mario.
  19. Shanghai Knife Dude

Asvine V-200: on Amazon first!

the guitar man paid $28 for v200, no fancy ripped off nib, just the pen on its own.
  20. Shanghai Knife Dude

Jinhao X159 - the pen survived Omicron

no. neither the 9016 converter fits in 9019, either vice versa.
  21. Misfit

Basic Noob question about Pilot converters

@A Smug Dill thank you for explaining the Pilot converter. I recently filled a Prera, and was wondering why it didn’t fill like other converters do. Goes to show we can always learn more in this pen hobby.
  22. lukeap69

Asvine P36

I had a similar issue with my P20 with a fine nib. After thorough cleaning, it wrote beautifully. It is wet and broader than the other fine nibs I have. I don't think the issue is particular with a stub nib.
  23. As stunning as usual, your art never ceases to amaze me.
  1. Load more activity

• Topics

• Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More