Huashilai 3000 Tiger Eye Marbled

Motomo

I was ordering some other Items from www.isellpens.com and saw this pen on closeout and liked the looks so ordered it and here is the review

First Impressions:

I ran across this pen on www.isellpens.com and was struck by the swirl cap of orange and black. When the pen arrived the marbled cap looked even better than in the pictures and has a vivid color with depth. For $7.00 I was pleased.

Appearance/finish:

The pen's shape is the normal cigar style with a snap on cap that gives a reassuring click when closing it and post well on the back of the pen. It is metal bodied pen cover in black lacquer that looks and feels good in the hand. It is well balanced with or without the cap posted. I would consider it a medium weight pen that is just a bit over 6 inches posted. The clip is substantial and does not have a lot of spring to it. Other than the marbled cap and a few rings, one with some scroll work and the makers name and model #, the pen really has no other ornamentation.

Nib performance:

The nib is a large 22 carat gold plated nib that has a bit of scroll work engraving and the Huashilai logo. It writes a nice wet line similar to my Lamy Safari in medium. The nib on the pen is relatively smooth but does have an odd characteristic of giving you a sound feedback when writing across the paper. The best way to describe it is that it squeaks as you run the nib across paper. With this pen you don't get alot of tactile feedback but for some the sound feedback may be quite annoying. Since I am hearing impaired it does not really bother me all that much.

I have found that this pen seems to like bottled ink better than the international cartridges. Originally I filled the pen with a private reserve cartridge of copper burst which every so often the pen would burp out a blob through the breather hole. After cleaning the pen and refilling it with waterman ink using the supplied converter I had no issues. It could be the pen just needed to be cleaned or it could be the PR ink just does not like this pen. Being somewhat new to fountain pens I will leave that question for someone more knowledge.

Filling system:

The Huashilai pen uses the normal International Cartridges and has a standard twist ink converter included with the pen.

Value:

I paid $7.00 for the pen. I am not really going to include shipping since it was an add on to an order I was going to place anyway. www.isellpens.com ships their orders for $7.00 so if you were going to order just this pen with shipping it would be a $14 pen which in my opinion is still a very good value.

Conclusion:

In conclusion I would say that for the money this is a great inexpensive pen. It has good looks and writes very well in spite of the sound feedback from the nib mentioned above. I liked this pen so much on the next order I placed with Todd at www.isellpens.com I bought the other two colors that he had in stock. This is a pen that I take to work quite often and enjoy writing with. This pen compares well with the Jinhao x450 I have but without the drying out and starting issues that have plagued that pen.

post-25041-1236615800_thumb.jpg

Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys - P. J. O'Rourke

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• majorworks

• Miles R.

• lovemy51

• kwisatz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just received the exact same pen in the mail today. Pick it up last week on ebay. I don't remember the vendor, but it was under 10 dollars with shipping.

Love the color, style and weight. It reminds me of a pen I had when I was in High School.

I inked it for the first time with PR Sherwood Green, it writes very smooth but little wet. Could be the ink.

My pen makes the same kind of sound. Must be the design. Maybe the barrel acts like a sound board on a violin.

Nice musical pens!

I have two of these in complete black (matte and shiny), mine are called "JINHAO X750", but they are identical.

It is a great value and I love to use them at home.

"Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them!" (Duke Leto)

• 6 months later...

I just got one of these pens, having won an auction for one at $0.99.

While it's an attractive pen, and a hefty one at that, it's not been all that gratifying a writer for me. It's quite scratchy and not at all smooth. Initially it had some flow problems as well. I tried spreading the tines a bit and that seems to have increased the ink flow a bit. But it's still a bit on the toothy side.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

• 2 years later...

I have two of these in complete black (matte and shiny), mine are called "JINHAO X750", but they are identical.

It is a great value and I love to use them at home.

I just got one of these pens, having won an auction for one at $0.99.

While it's an attractive pen, and a hefty one at that, it's not been all that gratifying a writer for me. It's quite scratchy and not at all smooth. Initially it had some flow problems as well. I tried spreading the tines a bit and that seems to have increased the ink flow a bit. But it's still a bit on the toothy side.

I hope it's not bad form to advertise a review of one's own on the page of someone else's review, but I address both these points in a review that I just posted covering the Huashilai 3000 in four different finishes. As I say there, (1) the Huashilai and the Jinhao X750, though similar in certain respects (e.g., having identical clips), differ in construction, finish, dimensions, and weight, and (2) while the best Huashilai 3000's are very good pens, and there are (I believe) more good ones than bad ones, there are some decidedly bad ones out there. I am sorry, Majorworks, to hear that you got one of the bad ones.

• 1 month later...

Mine came the mail this week. It's an excellent writer using noodle's gruene cactus at the moment. My question would be is the end of your cap not quite level as well? It looks as if they didn't cut a groove into the orange part so that the pocket clip would then be level. Overall it's a nice pen for the money and I appreciate everyone's reviews.

post-83470-0-71104900-1331349710.jpg

post-83470-0-77085100-1331349721.jpg

Mine came the mail this week. It's an excellent writer using noodle's gruene cactus at the moment. My question would be is the end of your cap not quite level as well? It looks as if they didn't cut a groove into the orange part so that the pocket clip would then be level. Overall it's a nice pen for the money and I appreciate everyone's reviews.

I own several Huashilai 3000's in different colors, and, as I have recounted in a review here, I have found that quality of assembly is very inconsistent. I think all of them have some degree of misfit between the tip and the body of the cap.

• 10 years later...
On 2/3/2012 at 1:55 PM, Miles R. said:

I hope it's not bad form to advertise a review of one's own on the page of someone else's review, but I address both these points in a review that I just posted covering the Huashilai 3000 in four different finishes. As I say there, (1) the Huashilai and the Jinhao X750, though similar in certain respects (e.g., having identical clips), differ in construction, finish, dimensions, and weight, and (2) while the best Huashilai 3000's are very good pens, and there are (I believe) more good ones than bad ones, there are some decidedly bad ones out there. I am sorry, Majorworks, to hear that you got one of the bad ones.

Wow, talk about your thread necrophilia. Seems I hadn't used my Huashilai 3000 in 10 years? I found it at the bottom of my pen box this afternoon and thought, well, let's ink this up for grins.

My initial comments on it (see above; 10/8/2009) indicated that it wasn't a great writer. Well, IDK what's happened to this pen as it sat in my box all this time. Maybe I adjusted/smoothed the nib and don't remember doing so. But I filled it from an old bottle of J. Herbin Gris Nuage, and writing in a TN refill (MD cream paper)), it is magnificently smooth (as smooth, in fact, as my Hero 5020 of about the same vintage and which I also recently resurrected). I'm really enjoying using it. Its heft in hand is satisfying. I also seem to recall that it squeaked as I wrote back in the day. Not anymore, at least not with this ink/paper combo.

Happiness is an Indian ED!