Loose Levers

ccajackson

I finally received my Esties and the order from Tryphon to play with them. As I have been working through my collection of 5 pens (with one on the way), I have become comfortable with sac replacement (thanks to you all!).

One thing I have notice on about 3 pens, is that the lever is loose. Event though I have confirmed a healthy J-bar (or replaced it), these pens show a lever that will "fall loose" if you hold the pen horizontal, with the lever on the down-side. I was giving one of these revived pens to my wife, but she worried that the loose lever might catch on a pocket and spew ink. While I think this is unlikely, she is concerned about it.

So, is there a way to "tighten-up" the lever so that it doesn't flop around?

I will try to get some pictures together, but my recent acquisitions appear to be:

- a Blue Dollar pen

- a Blue Transitional

- a Blue SJ

- a Red J

- a Gray J

-- a Copper J (I believe) is en route.

Thanks for your help!

C-C

Finally he said, "Well, the hours are good..."

..."So the hours are pretty good then?" [Ford] resumed.

The Vogon stared down at him as sluggish thoughts moiled around in the murky depths.

"Yeah," he said, "but now you come to mention it, most of the actual minutes are pretty lousy."

-- H2G2

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ccajackson

• OcalaFlGuy

• J English Smith

• PaFitch

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience is very limited (but of course that won't stop me from posting a reply). The few times that I have dealt with that issue (1 or two Esties and 1 Sheaffer Balance), the J bar wasn't perfectly in place. I haven't determined exactly what I did but adjusting the position of the J bar has cured the issue for me.

I've snagged a loose lever sliding it into my homemade pen holders. Thankfully the pens never erupted.

I had one like that and Brian Anderson fixed it for me. I believe he said the sac was kind of twisted on or around the j-bar. The sac was fine, it was the "orientation."

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

From what I have read here I'd agree with a misaligned j-bar/sac situation.

If you do a search, someone here posted about as a last resort lightly spreading the sides of the lever

out from underneath so that it catches better.

I posted the same question in the repair forum (do a search there). El Zorno responded with something

about the "lever box" needing to be modified. I didn't at all understand what he meant and ask him in

a PM for clarification. Never got any so I can't give you any more info than his original response in the

repair fourm.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

El Zorno responded with something

about the "lever box" needing to be modified.

It sounds like he read "Esterbrook", but was thinking "Waterman". Everyone adopted Sheaffer's lever-fill mechanism (generally cheerfully ignoring the patents), but Waterman had the integrity to actually improve it by mounting the lever in a metal frame -- the "lever box" -- instead of hanging it on the barrel with a pin or wire loop.

-- Brian

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Thanks! I will give the J-bar repositioning a shot. It sounds like catching a loose lever by accident is not so far-fetched, so in the worst case, I may have to break down and get a real repair person to take a look :blush:

Finally he said, "Well, the hours are good..."

..."So the hours are pretty good then?" [Ford] resumed.

The Vogon stared down at him as sluggish thoughts moiled around in the murky depths.

"Yeah," he said, "but now you come to mention it, most of the actual minutes are pretty lousy."

-- H2G2

Thanks! I will give the J-bar repositioning a shot. It sounds like catching a loose lever by accident is not so far-fetched, so in the worst case, I may have to break down and get a real repair person to take a look :blush:

If repositioning the j-bar doesn't fix it, if it were my pen (and yes, it's not) I might be inclinded to try the from underneath

spreading out the walls of the j-bar idea [1] before I'd send it to a repair person just for the lever. It couldn't hurt, might fix

the problem and wouldn't be evident if it didn't.

[1] I have a small thin jewelers screwdriver I think would work just fine doing that.

Bruce in Ocala, FL