Lamy Safari

haywoody

In my earlier post, I described what I own. I have both flames. I have every pen ever issued (Safari & Al-star)...save the Swedish...special production, textured white....and the "smooth operators" ( ...song reference here....LOL). I don't know if tex. white was ever issued as a fountain pen though. I'd need a photo to verify. Perhaps it was only a Lamy experiment in terror and they d/c'd the project before f-p's were produced for the masses. Perhaps only Lamy reps had the tex. white/black clip version to check the waters?...hum. I know that the early cap liners were flimsy white and brittle. I just wish Lamy would send liners, as courtesy replacements to their loyal throng + shipping and handling o-c...lol., so that we can effect the fix in the early issues in order to restore the older pens to functional & as they were designed to be. What ever happened to lifetime....whatever? I would also suggest that you not send a pen to get a new liner as "they" will replace your vintage pen cap with a non-matching sort of same color thing-y...destroying your precious historic relic. There are subtle color variants in the issues that I've mentioned before + colors I haven't talked about.That goes double-down for any other replacement parts for older d/c'd pen colors....feeds and nibs for examples. FYI... there are different feed thicknesses, and unmarked nibs that are specific to earlier issues too! They just say categorically, they have no replacement stuff..just check with them first before you send.

Edited by SnowLeopard

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Uffuffa

• Anne-Sophie

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey everyone,

I'm glad somebody got some use out of this over-the-top post. I was an exile from FPN for a while and started checking in again recently. It was fun to catch up on this thread and see what others have added. I will try to get back to what I have promised several times and add more information (heard that before? :embarrassed_smile: )... I do have a few pictures that might clear up some of the recent discussion...

The textured white fountain pen is real; I own two of them. Providing photographic evidence proved to be pretty difficult. If anybody has some tips on how to capture the textured surface of white plastic I'd love to hear them. I tried a bunch of things and in the end had to do some Photoshop trickery to highlight the texture. I didn't add the texture to the pen; it's already there. I simply increased contrast and over-sharpened the pics:

Here's the original shot with minimal processing. Textured pen on the bottom/right side:

http://haywoody.smugmug.com/photos/1031388852_iiu9k-L.jpg

Same photo, with more contrast and sharpening:

http://haywoody.smugmug.com/photos/1031388907_ia7jY-L.jpg

One more with the textured pen on the top/left:

http://haywoody.smugmug.com/photos/1031388790_nxCMx-L.jpg

I hope that is proof enough that Lamy shot white plastic into their textured mold at some point.

The level of texture is the same as the early charcoal/terracotta/savannah pens. It's hard to see but feels exactly the same. Both my textured pens are what I called "second generation" in the original post, with W. Germany stamped on the bottom. The smooth pen in the comparison pics is also the same generation with identical features but only the LAMY logo textured.

I have never seen physical proof or photographs of the smooth charcoal/terracotta/savannah pens but I grilled another FPN'r who claims to have one. He certainly seemed to know what he is talking about and I can't imagine why he would pull my leg. I was also the one who was told by a former, longtime Lamy rep that the pens were made smooth at some point. I'm convinced enough to be on the hunt and will certainly scream if I ever get my hands on one.

Cheers,

Woody

Edited by haywoody

On the demonstrator: I have two versions, both marked "Germany," so post-1989. One is the old version that SnowLeopard mentioned, with the piston-like insert in the bottom of the barrel and a metal top screw. The second is newer and generally matches the features of the latest pens. You can see both in the shot below along with a Vista:

http://haywoody.smugmug.com/photos/1037051901_r4TC3-L.jpg

This is another tough photography task - it's very difficult to capture minute features in transparent plastic too.

/Woody

That's the the spirit W----.Those r three demos. However, I've seen some forgeries.... by changing the clip, cap liner, nib if need be, certainly the foil-like silver treatment can be removed from the LAMY on the barrel, as well as a substituted clear top cap, or total clear cap from another non- fountain pen with washer,... this can simulate/ create the third smooth version. The top is also thicker than the Vista or, for that matter, the earlier version on the left. I don't see brass thru that top either? Is it a snap together like the Vista? The inner cap retainer inside would have to be brass if as original production model with screw together liner retainer.,... but, could also be the result of a repair...might not be originally off the production line. Was that pen ever repaired by LAMY? R u the original owner? Just a thought with my preliminary conclusion. After much deduction, I've concluded that a frosted demo is not in keeping with what a demo's function is supposed to illuminate. I don't take anything at face value w-r-t these pens at all. They're so easily modifiable.. which could portend much larger asking prices on the open market. So, I'm leaning toward the two demos so commissioned... theory. After my Sherlock Holmes level investigations into the criminal mind, I've found sources that will frost a Safari as if to "charcoal" factory pure surface-likeness. Interesting development...hum? The only source of total " authenticity" would now have to come from LAMYs own offices at this point. Only, they can make those statements with 100% certainty, along with documentation of factory fabrication notating such work was in house factory production....and sent/ given to...whomever?? I took a photo with my 8 mega pixel cell, it shows frosted vs non quite well. The three smoothies might not have been in general circulation, if they existed at all...similar to other co.'s demos, clear and colored versions, as given to their company's reps. Perhaps the smooth early pens were only first proofs of those pens, and were never commercially meant to be sold? Maybe, the fact that if the monikers on the barrel ends say W. Germany it might be a clue that they alone were only made on the other side of the "wall"(... including a frosted white with W. German markings?)Did Germany have a factory there?....then.... & brought across as the political climate changed the landscape. I'm thinking... NOT... wrt to three smooth versions& three frosty versions, too. Why would they produce two versions of the same three colors. That's not very German- like. They've never done that in all the Safari's history.Lamy is not very compliant in any regard. I have a smooth white with black clip , bk. cap retainer ring and un- labeled bk. nib ...and original. The only other frosted is the gray to my knowledge.There's too much skulduggery in the shadow-y inky world so as to merit extreme caution with these pens. I want to believe there is a white I need to search out.Tx. W. Perhaps Holmes' archenemy, Professor Moriarty, is one of their own? The game is... a-f-o-o-t !

Edited by SnowLeopard

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought my son a Lamy Al-Star. Mainly becuase I wanted to try it and I must admit it is on my desk right now! My son is not to happy about that! I guess I need to go and buy me one now. I could not help but notice that the nib on the Lamy has the same overall shape as the nib on my current daily, a Classic Cross Century. I posted this information on the Cross forum and was whipped repeatedly! :ltcapd: In all honesty the feeling of the two nibs is quite different and I want to almost say that the Lamy is smoother but I seem to be the only one with that opinion so it must just be me. The Cross definitely has a more professional look and it is my daily because it is extremely thin and very easy to carry in my shirt pocket all day! The Lamy is huge by comparison but it is growing on me more and more as I use it! Thanks for all of the information! It has been very informative! My son (9 years old) also collects fountain pens and loves his Safari Al-Star. He wants a clear one next!

"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."

"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for...that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation."

"You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

• 3 weeks later...

and the lamy safari history continues.. with this

http://img.shop-pro.jp/PA01000/164/product/24360150.JPG?20101029134603

Why there's no Lamy Brand section in this forum? :drool:

I've seen many users, owners... every day I see a post releated to Lamy.

Well.. just thinking...

Regards

I have never seen physical proof or photographs of the smooth charcoal/terracotta/savannah pens but I grilled another FPN'r who claims to have one. He certainly seemed to know what he is talking about and I can't imagine why he would pull my leg. I was also the one who was told by a former, longtime Lamy rep that the pens were made smooth at some point. I'm convinced enough to be on the hunt and will certainly scream if I ever get my hands on one.

Cheers,

Woody

Hello Woody,

I own both smooth and textured West German versions of the savannah and charcoal Safari ballpoint pens. If you are interested, I may be able to post photos of them. The smooth versions have a glossy shine to them. I only have the textured charcoal and savannah fountain pens with plain black nibs (no Lamy imprint on the early pens). BTW, one of the ballpoints has "W. Germany" farther down on the barrel, rather than just under the click top, at the back. Also, I have two different boxes for the ballpoint. One is the cargo-style box and the other, although it's the same colored cardboard, is a simpler, narrow box.

Regards, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

and the lamy safari history continues.. with this

http://img.shop-pro.jp/PA01000/164/product/24360150.JPG?20101029134603

Hello! This is being sold in Japan and, unfortunately, at least one Japanese eBay seller is starting them at nearly $100 (ridiculous!). I don't understand why Lamy doesn't market these worldwide. Lamy, are you listening?

Robert

edited for typo--I probably missed others!

Edited by Robert Alan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been using safari's for almost ten years now... and I've never been disappointed with them. Recently I found a light gray safari on an exhibition window in Mexico City, and of course bought it. It was in a publicity stand for the safari's with all the textured color range, it waited for me five years... so the seller told me.

:rolleyes:

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6395/dscn2498q.jpg

p.s. Nice thread!

Edited by coppilcus

• 5 weeks later...

WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!

I've been obsessively reading everything about

the LAMY Safari pens here on the FPN and--by FAR--

your articles (and everyone else's comments too!)

have been so much fun to read.

It also answered so many questions that I had!

Indeed, a joyous day it is.

So, I want to echo everyone else in thanking you

for your dedicated thoughts on the evolution of the Safaris.

I've been dying to ask some questions here on FPN

(this is my first week of being a member :}),

so here I go.

Question: Has anyone converted Safari Rollerball

and into a Fountain Pen?

I have not seen a Rollerball in person,

but judging from the pictures,

it appears that they have the same basic design.

(Only visible difference is the viewing holes)

I know I have finally found the right thread to ask this question!

My motivation for this is two-fold:

1) it looks like it'd be fun

2) I can buy a SE/LE substantially cheaper, and convert it.

Seeing as I am a poor grad student,

this seems like a cheaper way to get my hands on the

beautiful lime green and light blue/red clip SE/LE Safaris :}

Definitely wish I could just pay the bucks for the FP versions now,

but...

Thanks again,

Jorge

Ps. aka another question:

Can anyone point me to an article that illustrates

how to take apart the section from the barrel?

...& it's time for

beer then mathematics!

Question: Has anyone converted Safari Rollerball

and into a Fountain Pen?

I have not seen a Rollerball in person,

but judging from the pictures,

it appears that they have the same basic design.

(Only visible difference is the viewing holes)

I know I have finally found the right thread to ask this question!

My motivation for this is two-fold:

1) it looks like it'd be fun

2) I can buy a SE/LE substantially cheaper, and convert it.

Seeing as I am a poor grad student,

this seems like a cheaper way to get my hands on the

beautiful lime green and light blue/red clip SE/LE Safaris :}

Definitely wish I could just pay the bucks for the FP versions now,

but...

Thanks for the comments and for adding to the thread. The section on the rollerball is a completely different part from the one on the fountain pen. I don't think there is any practical way to modify one. The only parts shared between the two are some of the cap components. The barrel from the rollerball is compatible but you lose the ink view feature.

Good luck finding the LEs you are after... if you are patient I'm sure you will find them for a decent price sometime.

/Woody

Hello Woody,

I own both smooth and textured West German versions of the savannah and charcoal Safari ballpoint pens. If you are interested, I may be able to post photos of them. The smooth versions have a glossy shine to them. I only have the textured charcoal and savannah fountain pens with plain black nibs (no Lamy imprint on the early pens). BTW, one of the ballpoints has "W. Germany" farther down on the barrel, rather than just under the click top, at the back. Also, I have two different boxes for the ballpoint. One is the cargo-style box and the other, although it's the same colored cardboard, is a simpler, narrow box.

Regards, Robert

Hi Robert,

I would love to see pictures of any and all of the items you described, especially the smooth pens. I think I have the two ballpoint boxes you described too but I am not sure. I have seen pictures of an early box that came out around the same time as the cargo box. I'm curious if that is the one you are talking about. A photo would be great...

Regards,

Woody

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem with the 1.5 I on my stainless Studio, too dry and skips frequently.

Now to read the rest of the thread and hope there is an answer since you posted this!

The new feed seems to have angle adjustments, as if to control ink flow, as the new one pictured left looks set at a lower angle then that of my Vista feed with nib removed...

post-8178-1232055503.jpg

My Vista writes way too dry with my 1.5mm Italic nib, was hoping I could fix the flow and if so how do you change the angle of the feed tip?

If it is adjustable, does the feed need be removed from section to do so and if so how to do this without damaging the feed?

Thanks for all the work you've done and thanks in advance should you have an answer to the feed angle question.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Reading this post has made me want to go out and buy a Safari. I must confess that I didn't think the Safari would be a good pen, especially in the long term.

Thanks for proving me wrong, and thanks for the ace historical information and other tidbits!

I'll definitely be adding a Safari to my fleet of pens soon....

Dum spiro spero -- Cicero

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Woody,

Regards, Robert

Hi Robert,

I would love to see pictures of any and all of the items you described, especially the smooth pens. I think I have the two ballpoint boxes you described too but I am not sure. I have seen pictures of an early box that came out around the same time as the cargo box. I'm curious if that is the one you are talking about. A photo would be great...

Regards,

Woody

Hello again Woody! Please forgive my delayed response. I will attempt to post a photo comparing the smooth and textured versions of the Safari in Savannah green and charcoal. The ballpoints at the top of each color are definitely the smooth/shiny/glossy versions. All the other writing instruments in the tray are the textured versions. I believe I bought my Savannah green fountain pen in late 1984 to about mid-1985. The charcoal instruments are probably from 1983-84.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60432903@N07/5513001105/sizes/z/in/photostream/

I hope that helps!

edit: It seems that I can only "link" to the Flickr page. Perhaps someone can tell me how to get the actual photo to show on FPN. BTW, I'm "VacuumFiller" on Flickr if anyone wants to see the other comparison photos.

Regards, Robert

Edited by Robert Alan

Hello again Woody! Please forgive my delayed response. I will attempt to post a photo comparing the smooth and textured versions of the Safari in Savannah green and charcoal. The ballpoints at the top of each color are definitely the smooth/shiny/glossy versions. All the other writing instruments in the tray are the textured versions. I believe I bought my Savannah green fountain pen in late 1984 to about mid-1985. The charcoal instruments are probably from 1983-84.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60432903@N07/5513001105/sizes/z/in/photostream/

I hope that helps!

edit: It seems that I can only "link" to the Flickr page. Perhaps someone can tell me how to get the actual photo to show on FPN. BTW, I'm "VacuumFiller" on Flickr if anyone wants to see the other comparison photos.

Regards, Robert

Wow! shiny savanna green? amazing.

Thanks for the photo.

I sure wish I can find one too but I guess this pen is older than I am!!

Another one from Taiwan:

http://www.mylamy.com.tw/

166283_476977408998_356932093998_5885906_5577712_n.jpg

Edited by chainwhip

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255