Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Ackerman Pens

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

Old World Ink - Iron Gall Ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 21:30

I ordered a pump pen from him about 4 weeks ago - (i got it two weeks ago). the pen came with parts missing and and the NIB was broken. I emailed and called several times over the past 2 weeks with absolutely no response. Has anyone else purchased from Ackerman is this normal behavior? I really want to use the pen but can not

hmmm

any thoughts

I hope Ackerman looks at this thread and contacts me. All I want are the missing parts (NIB and Feed)

crybaby.gif
Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

#2 Splicer

Splicer

Graphic Designasaur

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2008 - 21:44

QUOTE (davidspitzer @ Dec 23 2008, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I ordered a pump pen from him about 4 weeks ago - (i got it two weeks ago). the pen came with parts missing and and the NIB was broken. I emailed and called several times over the past 2 weeks with absolutely no response. Has anyone else purchased from Ackerman is this normal behavior? I really want to use the pen but can not

hmmm

any thoughts

I hope Ackerman looks at this thread and contacts me. All I want are the missing parts (NIB and Feed)

crybaby.gif

My impression is that Charles is an honest and well-meaning guy who sometimes gets overwhelmed by all the stuff he has to do. Maybe that's just projection, though.

He's always been good about making sure that problems get solved, but a couple of times I've sent an email (after a volley of prompt responses) and not gotten any reply. A couple months ago he offered to make a feed for a specific pen if I sent one of the dip pens I was talking about. I replied gratefully and asked for his mailing address so that I could send him the pen. I'd actually ordered extra pens just for him. I never heard back from him with a mailing address, but honestly I never followed up either. Very possibly his mailing address is on the website.
Where are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are at http://penshops.info/

Art and photo prints at http://smscotten.com/
Blog: http://splicer.com/

#3 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 21:49

QUOTE (Splicer @ Dec 23 2008, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmmm

any thoughts

crybaby.gif

My impression is that Charles is an honest and well-meaning guy who sometimes gets overwhelmed by all the stuff he has to do. Maybe that's just projection, though.

He's always been good about making sure that problems get solved, but a couple of times I've sent an email (after a volley of prompt responses) and not gotten any reply. A couple months ago he offered to make a feed for a specific pen if I sent one of the dip pens I was talking about. I replied gratefully and asked for his mailing address so that I could send him the pen. I'd actually ordered extra pens just for him. I never heard back from him with a mailing address, but honestly I never followed up either. Very possibly his mailing address is on the website.

I sent him three emails and left a voicemail since the 12th (insert cricket noise here). I understand we all get behind, i am just anxious to use the pen. I am normally patient but it now seems to be crossing the line for patience. Perhaps after Christmas will bear fruit

Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

#4 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 16:48

QUOTE (Splicer @ Dec 23 2008, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmmm

any thoughts

crybaby.gif

i left him a voicemail yesterday again and another email no response still...

Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

#5 The Doodler

The Doodler

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 17:11

I've dealt with Charles before and he's been very good at times, but getting in contact with him can be a challenge. Be patient and keep trying. I have several of his pens and perhaps I can offer replacement parts at cost if you'd be interested.

#6 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,758 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2008 - 19:54

I hope that that he is not affilliated with Josef Ackermann (note the two [2] ns) -- the big boss of the biggest German bank -- who does everything he can to save himself 13 million a year!

Queer

Edited by I am not a number, 26 December 2008 - 20:26.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#7 jmkeuning

jmkeuning

Stick a fork in me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 20:01

I paid for my Ackerman pen on Nov. 8, 2008.

I have neither seen nor heard anything from anyone.
Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

#8 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 20:22

QUOTE (jmkeuning @ Dec 24 2008, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

he seems to be challenged with responding to people ironically this is on his website... (I quote)

"If you order a Pump Pen, and it doesn't seem to work for you, tell us and see if we can fix the problem. You might need more information about how to use the pen. We might be able to adjust the pen for your specific needs, We work hard to give you the right pen you can use."
Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

#9 Splicer

Splicer

Graphic Designasaur

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:09

QUOTE (davidspitzer @ Dec 24 2008, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jmkeuning @ Dec 24 2008, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

he seems to be challenged with responding to people ironically this is on his website... (I quote)

"If you order a Pump Pen, and it doesn't seem to work for you, tell us and see if we can fix the problem. You might need more information about how to use the pen. We might be able to adjust the pen for your specific needs, We work hard to give you the right pen you can use."

In his defense, user error is a common problem. Many of the people that today love the pump pen had trouble with it when they started. There's a reason he developed the "perfect feed" where he customizes the feed for what pen you want to use with it. A slight difference in shape or materials can mean a huge difference in flow. So while yes you can pull out the pen and stuff your favorite pen in, it might or might not work how you expect. Also, lots of people put their fountain pen inks into an Ackerman. Charles has a special feed for use with fountain pens, otherwise your experience will be that the ink runs right through and goes all over your work.

I'm not saying that this is your situation: obviously being missing the pen and the feed is NOT user error. I just mean that his statement there addresses real issues.

Also: not to say it isn't his fault for not getting back to you. Certainly he should have gotten back to you weeks ago. But I wouldn't expect to hear back this week. A lot of people take vacation around this time of year, and Charles may be one of them. I don't know, but I suggest giving him the benefit of the doubt and let your anger level stay where it was on Friday until Monday, and then start getting angrier again.

I might wonder if your emails are ending up in his spam filters, but the voicemail should have been a tipoff for him.

Jim, I don't know what to say about your situation. Clearly you need to get your pen.

Edited by Splicer, 25 December 2008 - 01:13.

Where are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are at http://penshops.info/

Art and photo prints at http://smscotten.com/
Blog: http://splicer.com/

#10 jmkeuning

jmkeuning

Stick a fork in me.

• Member - Gold

• 4,948 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:46

Yeah, I'm not in a hurry. I just posted here to state the facts.

If the guy is with his family, that is more important than pens.
Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

#11 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 16:52

As deduced on earlier in this thread Ackerman was just busy for the holidays.

I want everyone to know that he is sending me two pens and a mailer to send back the defective pen. He wants me to take my pick of the two new pens and send the other back.

I wanted to note the good customer service spirit in this gesture. Things happen, people get busy. But this is good service recovery. It is like getting bad food at a restaurant - it happens. But if they make you pay for the bad food then you will never eat there again. If they comp your meal, in my book all is forgiven as anyone can have an "off day"

So thankyou Mr. Ackerman for the generous comp. You will see repeat business.

David
thumbup.gif
Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

#12 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 16:55

Thanks for the whole story. It's nice when it works out in the end.

Kurt

#13 rbanks

rbanks

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 20:17

Thanks for letting us know the whole story. So often we get upset about something and tell everyone about the problem and then don't let them know the outcome, whatever that may be. I appreciate you completing the story for us, especially when it has a good ending.
Rob Banks

#14 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 17:42

interesting subscript - after multiple more emails -still no pen - every so often I get a stray email with more promises - here is the last one (after i wrote him and said it doesn't look like I'll ever see my pen and that while his pen looked liked a good product his customer service was really flaggng)

You are absolutely right, and I'm close to solving the customer service problem, but I'm not there yet.

I'm struggling to meet orders and also finish development on a new model - don't worry, we'll up grade you for free. Keep this message as proof.

I figure by March I'll be "out of the woods", but it's going to be a slog to March. Customer service sucks. I wouldn't buy from myself. But people keep on buying, so I will have a lot of thanks-making to make up for when I get this going full bore,.

Thanks for your patience, you moved to the head of the line, and I'll confirm shipment.

Sincerely, Charles Ackerman
Ackerman Pens

I ordered in the beginning of December - I'll update everyone as the saga continues - I know others have ordered from him and are waiting for their pen - be aware you may be in for a long wait...
Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

#15 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 23:28

QUOTE (davidspitzer @ Jan 26 2009, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
interesting subscript - after multiple more emails -still no pen - every so often I get a stray email with more promises - here is the last one (after i wrote him and said it doesn't look like I'll ever see my pen and that while his pen looked liked a good product his customer service was really flaggng)

You are absolutely right, and I'm close to solving the customer service problem, but I'm not there yet.

I'm struggling to meet orders and also finish development on a new model - don't worry, we'll up grade you for free. Keep this message as proof.

I figure by March I'll be "out of the woods", but it's going to be a slog to March. Customer service sucks. I wouldn't buy from myself. But people keep on buying, so I will have a lot of thanks-making to make up for when I get this going full bore,.

Thanks for your patience, you moved to the head of the line, and I'll confirm shipment.

Sincerely, Charles Ackerman
Ackerman Pens

I ordered in the beginning of December - I'll update everyone as the saga continues - I know others have ordered from him and are waiting for their pen - be aware you may be in for a long wait...

I sent him three more emails to see if they shipped or not - he has dropped off the grid again - no reply

Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

#16 drawline

drawline

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 00:22

I also think he seems to be a well meaning and honest guy, he should just be a bit more up front with the almost given slow turnaround for orders - maybe employ some sort of queu even. When I ordered two pens a few years back I think it took two months or more for him to even send it, after a nag letter or two.

#17 jmkeuning

jmkeuning

Stick a fork in me.

• Member - Gold

• 4,948 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:10

I'm still waiting too. Answers to emails, but not much more.

#18 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 16:48

QUOTE (jmkeuning @ Jan 27 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think at this point i might try a daily email - maybe if he sees my name enough he'll stop by the post office and send out my pens
Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

#19 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Member - Remembered fondly
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2009 - 16:56

QUOTE (davidspitzer @ Jan 28 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think at this point i might try a daily email - maybe if he sees my name enough he'll stop by the post office and send out my pens

From this line in his email to you "I'm struggling to meet orders and also finish development on a new model - don't worry, we'll up grade you for free. Keep this message as proof.
I figure by March I'll be "out of the woods", but it's going to be a slog to March. Customer service sucks. I wouldn't buy from myself. But people keep on buying, so I will have a lot of thanks-making to make up for when I get this going full bore,." it sounds like he is intending to upgrade you to the new model that is coming out in March.... that might be why you have not received the other pens....
The new model may very well be a big improvement over what he has been selling.

TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#20 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 19:23

QUOTE (OldGriz @ Jan 28 2009, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (davidspitzer @ Jan 28 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From this line in his email to you "I'm struggling to meet orders and also finish development on a new model - don't worry, we'll up grade you for free. Keep this message as proof.
I figure by March I'll be "out of the woods", but it's going to be a slog to March. Customer service sucks. I wouldn't buy from myself. But people keep on buying, so I will have a lot of thanks-making to make up for when I get this going full bore,." it sounds like he is intending to upgrade you to the new model that is coming out in March.... that might be why you have not received the other pens....
The new model may very well be a big improvement over what he has been selling.

I suggested he should hire a teen to box, address and ship his pens - if the demand is that high then it should help him to get over his hump, plus gainfully employee a young adult
Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

#21 mikey

mikey

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:53

Or he should label his pens "Available for March delivery" on his website to allow him time to catch up.

Needless to say, I will stay away.

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by mikey, 29 January 2009 - 09:53.

inka binka
bottle of ink
the cork fell out
and you stink

#22 MrGranger

MrGranger

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 15:47

Did you get your pen by now? I saw one on ebay and realized that I could use my dip pen nibs in the pen. That's a wonderful benefit for me so I ordered a pen and some tips. I got an email saying that I'd get shipping confirmation later that day. A week has gone by and I haven't gotten that yet. I'd be less worried if he said it takes me time to fill and give an ETA. Saying it's in the mail and it never arrives isn't great business practices.

I am hoping my pens (I ordered an extra from the website for larger nibs) arrive tomorrow.

#23 SteveBurke

SteveBurke

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 19:40

QUOTE (MrGranger @ Aug 31 2009, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you get your pen by now? I saw one on ebay and realized that I could use my dip pen nibs in the pen. That's a wonderful benefit for me so I ordered a pen and some tips. I got an email saying that I'd get shipping confirmation later that day. A week has gone by and I haven't gotten that yet. I'd be less worried if he said it takes me time to fill and give an ETA. Saying it's in the mail and it never arrives isn't great business practices.

I am hoping my pens (I ordered an extra from the website for larger nibs) arrive tomorrow.

I've recently ordered from him and received my merchandise so I wouldn't worry too much. The fulfillment process is kinda slow and low tech but I sent an e-mail about order status and he got right back to me.

Steve Burke
www.burkestudios.com

#24 jmkeuning

jmkeuning

Stick a fork in me.

• Member - Gold

• 4,948 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 20:09

that's good to know. I ordered mine last November. Maybe I should try again.

#25 inkcoffee

inkcoffee

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 20:19

I ordered mine last month and got it in about a week. Did you order a more obscure nib?

My Gillott 303 loaded Ackerman came quickly.
Posted Image

#26 MrGranger

MrGranger

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 14:33

QUOTE (inkcoffee @ Aug 31 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I ordered mine last month and got it in about a week. Did you order a more obscure nib?

Actually I ordered the Gillott 303 pen as well, but then put in a second order for the Manga G tip, Large pen and a Hunt 100 tip. Maybe the Manga G is what's taking my order so long?

#27 GladWriter

GladWriter

Sketching for Sanity?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2009 - 20:36

I own 4 of them.

2 are brush pens. I love them. I've not really had a problem getting new brushes and resovoirs from him. The original order showed up in about 2 weeks. They are the best watercolor waterbrushes I've ever used. They give you wonderful control of the paint uptake.

The Manga nib pen is one of my faves. I bought it on Ebay directly from him. I also bought extra nibs from him. Since then, I've acquired my own source for them.

The Gillot nib one I like OK, it's nice for lettering on drawings. It did take him something like 6 weeks to get that one to me.

I got a better response by leaving a phone message than by email.

Edited by GladWriter, 01 September 2009 - 20:37.

Gladwriter

Posted Image

#28 MrGranger

MrGranger

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:09

QUOTE (MrGranger @ Sep 1 2009, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (inkcoffee @ Aug 31 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I ordered the Gillott 303 pen as well, but then put in a second order for the Manga G tip, Large pen and a Hunt 100 tip. Maybe the Manga G is what's taking my order so long?

I got the 303 today, it looks great. I finally got the middle disconnected so I can fill it. I'm very impressed so far with the design. If it works well I might order a few to have ready. I'd rather have spares and not need them than to fall in love and it breaks.

Edited by MrGranger, 04 September 2009 - 04:55.

#29 turban1

turban1

Government Advisor

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:06

thank you, folks. i was just about to order some pens from him.
"People build themselves a furnace when all they need is a lamp." Maulana Jalaludin Balkhi (Rumi)

#30 SteveBurke

SteveBurke

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:55

At least with me, the Ackerman pen took a little time to get accustomed to.

I have a Hunt 101 nib on my pen and just replaced it and it works much better now then with the original nib (Also a Hunt 101). There is a plastic feeder unit that connects on the underside of the nib and this and the nib both slide into the top of the pen. If I am not careful about positioning, the feeder unit will force the tines of the nib apart which makes the pen very unreliable. If I slide the feeder unit farther into the pen then the nib (So the nib isn't pushed in quite as far as it can go) then the tines of the nib rest together and the end result is that the pen works much better and it takes very little effort to keep the ink flowing well.

Sorry, that's not all that easy to explain but it may be helpful to someone having trouble with the pen. I may try one of the brush tips as a waterpen. That sounds like a fun idea.

Steve Burke
www.burkestudios.com