Ink to put in a Demonstrator

menick

What to put in demo to keep it pristine (or as close as possible)  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What color would you put in general?

• Black
    • Blue
    • Red
    • Purple
    • Yellow
    • Invisible
    • Green
    • Brown
    • Blue Black
  2. 2. What Brand or SubBrand would you use?

• Noodlers Bulletproof (and near Bulletproof)
    • Noodlers Baystate
    • Noodlers Regular
    • Noodlers Eel
    • Parker Penman
    • Parker Quink
    • Mont Blanc
    • Visconti
    • Lamy
    • Omas
    • Sheaffer
    • Caran d'Ache
    • Diamine
    • Levenger
    • Pilot (Iroshizuku)
    • Private Reserve
    • J Herbin
    • Pelikan
    • Sailor
    • Aurora
    • Waterman

I'm starting to like demonstrators, and starting to pay a little more for them. As the price goes up, so does my paranoia of not staining them.

I know some of the basic facts, red and purple stain. Some high saturation ink will also stain if allowed to dry slightly... etc.

But let's get a list.

If you want to keep it pristine (and I know some of you would not, but if you would) what would you put in there?

If you have some tricks to use some of those, please include in comments (tricks like diluting, rinsing with something special...)

nick

PS, tell me ASAP if you think some choices are missing

PPS, I include demonstrator, Demonstrator and "Demonstrator" for those who read the other demo threads.

For sale: nothing!

Looking for: money!

To Buy: Visconti Titanium Skeleton, Omas Ogiva Demo (HT Piston filler), Stipula Etruria nuda, other demos :P

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• menick

• Deirdre

• mge01park

• hamadryad11

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I highly suggest Waterman inks, especially Florida Blue, for they behave very well in my demonstrator.

I see that some votes have gone towards Lamy inks in the poll- In regards to this, I would err away from the Lamy Blue-Black because it is iron gall. Besides that ink, the others from the brand have worked well for me.

It took a little while to get over my concerns and some research but I have been using my Pelikan 800 Demonstrator for a while now. I have had no problems with Diamine blues and Quink blue black. I would also be confortable putting Waterman Florida Blue in it. Never, no never, would I put Baystate Blue or any other of the Baystate series in a demonstrator!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

If you really want to be sure it doesn't stain, don't use any red based inks (red, browns, some blacks, etc.) and water down whichever ink you use. Waterman Florida Blue has a lot of red in it, so I would use Waterman blue-black if Waterman is your ink of choice.

Vintage Sheaffer Washable Blue is the safest by far.

I would not use Noodlers, Private Reserve or Penman (what, are you crazy?).

Also you may want to consider watering down your ink a bit if you can stand it. I often use watered down ink, doesn't bother me.

I use Platinum Preppy pens, sometimes with a converter but usually as an ED, putting a gasket on them. No leaks yet and they work fine. Cheap demonstrators. If I found a problem with them, it would make me cautious using it in an expensive demonstrator. It's a good way to make cheap mistakes. I use Baystate Blue in one for instance and you can see it coating the barrell longer than most.

---

Ken

If you want to keep it pristine (and I know some of you would not, but if you would) what would you put in there?

I voted for Quink, as I have a weakness for vintage Parker (and related) pens. However, I would also use Waterman's with equal confidence (black or blue and maybe Havana). My personal decision with my transparent pens is to avoid any of the modern hyper-saturated inks (Noodler's and PR, etc).

Dave

I think the most safe, non-staining ink out there would be vintage Sheaffer Skrip washable blue. It is also one of the most boring, weak, blah blues out there, but there is always a trade-off.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

If you fill the pen and actually use it, I sincerely doubt you can avoid stains 100%. To mitigate stains, I would avoid highly saturated inks like Private Reserve and Noodler's. The most FP friendly ink I have used is J. Herbin. Herbin uses natural plant dyes, the colors are not saturated and the inks are well behaved.

I'm impressed as to how much people are sticking to classics...

Blue, and maybe a little black,

And classic brands

Quink

Sheaffer

Diamine

Harbin

But the best, Waterman

Is there a reason Lamy and MontBlanc are not in the list? I would think they are not too saturated either, and therefore somewhat safe!

nick

To Buy: Visconti Titanium Skeleton, Omas Ogiva Demo (HT Piston filler), Stipula Etruria nuda, other demos :P

If you want it to never stain, don't put ink in it at all.

In my demonstrators, I tend to keep Noodler's.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3123/3132751859_4180792c4d.jpg

Oh, and: Pilot Iroshizuku ink stained the ink window of one of my Ventidues much worse than either Noodler's or Private Reserve ever did. Just thought I'd mention that....

Front pen's a Vedo, has had Noodler's Violet in it (but it had a piston seal problem as you can see, so it can't be cleaned out quite).

Back pen's a Ventidue, had Pilot Iroshizuku Ajisai.

Both had the inks, both violet inks, in the pen for about the same time.

One's still got a clear ink view window, and the other doesn't (and they use the same material for both).

So: don't use the Iroshizuku, at least not in Ajisai.

post-11359-1230146446_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deirdre

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Oh, and: Pilot Iroshizuku ink stained the ink window of one of my Ventidues much worse than either Noodler's or Private Reserve ever did. Just thought I'd mention that....

Whoa, that's a surprise. What color?

Murderface, I was editing the post as you posted. Answered above. :)

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Front pen's a Vedo, has had Noodler's Violet in it (but it had a piston seal problem as you can see, so it can't be cleaned out quite).

One's still got a clear ink view window, and the other doesn't (and they use the same material for both).

Glad to know about the Iroshizuku ink. It was some I would have considered safe.

Do you put regular Noodlers or Bulletproof?

Also, is the third a Stipula Suprema Nuda? That pen is on the top of my get list! Like it?

nick

Herbin. With Waterman as a second choice. Herbin is the safest ink in any color I've ever found.

I'll have to check herbin... but my first experience is somewhat love\hate

Poussiere de lune, love

Gris Nuage, hate. Might be the first bottle of ink I sell!

Have any personal recommendations?

nick

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3123/3132751859_4180792c4d.jpg

That's a shame! The Ajisai is such a beautiful ink!

Herbin. With Waterman as a second choice. Herbin is the safest ink in any color I've ever found.

I'll have to check herbin... but my first experience is somewhat love\hate

Poussiere de lune, love

Gris Nuage, hate. Might be the first bottle of ink I sell!

Have any personal recommendations?

nick

I voted Waterman Florida Blue, Herbin blue being my second choice for safety.

By all mean sell Gris Nuage on the Marketplace.

You might also use it or other inks you are not using that much to participate in the Ink Sample

Exchange.

You list the inks you want and list the inks you have for exchange.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...5&start=195

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Glad to know about the Iroshizuku ink. It was some I would have considered safe.

Do you put regular Noodlers or Bulletproof?

Also, is the third a Stipula Suprema Nuda? That pen is on the top of my get list! Like it?

nick

Bulletproof in all four of the pens pictured. One of the demonstrators has Pasternak in that picture, the other had Violet Vote.

The third pen is indeed a Suprema Nuda! I love it, but the sweet spot is a bit off for my writing, so I'm going to send it out to get tuned. Aside from that quibble, I love it.

However -- and it's a big one -- this one is a pen I'd consider a desk pen rather than a travel pen unless you're foolhardy like I am. There's no screw-down for the plunger. If you do get one and carry it around, be careful not to put it in such a tight case that the plunger gets pulled as you pull the pen out. I haven't done this, but it is one of my fears. :)

deirdre.net

I was heart-broken when my favourite ink - Sailor Blue - stained my Pelikan demonstrator. Pelikan Blue and Black on the other hand are extremely well-behaved.