48 replies to this topic

#1 TConnell

TConnell

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:40

Good Evening! I thought I'd post some of my initial impressions of this new ink.
The warning on the label about only using the supplied pens immediately got me interested.
By the way, I forgot to mention in the attachment that drying time seems to be relatively fast. Also I have tried this ink on many different papers with no significant bleed-through or feathering.

The scan of the document is as accurate as I can get it.

Comments are welcome.

Tom Connell

Attached Images

• inkreview.jpg

#2 Breck

Breck

Why do I ever stray from Bustelo?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:56

OK, that looks absolutely fantastic! I've got a bottle in a cart that I'm just about to pull the trigger on, and you just pushed me over the edge.

Gorgeous ink, thanks for the review and scan!

#3 jd50ae

jd50ae

http://www.chaeyahne.net

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:11

Oops, I thought this was about soup.

#4 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• Moderators

• 3,704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:49

Thanks for the scan. I've got a bottle on order and now I'm glad. Thanks also for "crash testing" it on other pens.

Doug

#5 PenTieRun

PenTieRun

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:39

QUOTE (jd50ae @ Dec 14 2008, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oops, I thought this was about soup.

roflmho.gif roflmho.gif roflmho.gif

#6 Edgar Allan Bo

Edgar Allan Bo

- ~ * ~ = Antique = ~ * ~ -

• Member - Gold

• 1,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2008 - 15:44

whoaaa drool.gif what a lovely shading with the sailoor music nib!

#7 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• 2,144 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 17:35

I love it in the Sailor nib too!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

#8 WillSW

WillSW

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,449 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 18:09

Someone should pose another Noodler's vs. Lamy Safari battle. Hopefully the Lamy will come out victorious this time.

#9 BobR

BobR

Reduced for Quick Sale

• Member - Gold

• 957 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2008 - 18:14

Thats's an exceptionally deep and vivid color, I love it!, just about my favorite shade of my favorite color.Thanks for posting and you are brave, Tom!

#10 offbase

offbase

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,991 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 18:37

OP, you're pretty brave putting into into a 1911 when even Nathan T. warns not to put it into most fountain pens!

#11 Dr.Grace

Dr.Grace

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2008 - 20:05

There must be some reason Nathan said that this ink was only to be used in the pens supplied. Does it stain like Baystate Blue? Or worse?
These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value. --Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

#12 mstone

mstone

Pensive Penman

• Member - Gold

• 1,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2008 - 20:11

QUOTE (Dr.Grace @ Dec 14 2008, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There must be some reason Nathan said that this ink was only to be used in the pens supplied. Does it stain like Baystate Blue? Or worse?

Two words: limited liability

#13 Dr.Grace

Dr.Grace

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2008 - 20:12

Yes, of course, but he doesn't say that about any of the other inks he sells. So what's special about this one?
These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value. --Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

#14 mstone

mstone

Pensive Penman

• Member - Gold

• 1,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2008 - 20:40

QUOTE (Dr.Grace @ Dec 14 2008, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, of course, but he doesn't say that about any of the other inks he sells. So what's special about this one?

He learned from the BSB fiasco? I'd guess we'll see more of it in the future.

#15 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• Moderators

• 3,704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2008 - 21:49

Putting "only use in supplied pens" on a bottle of Noodler's is like putting "do not inhale" on a pack of cigarettes.

Doug

#16 Possum Hill

Possum Hill

It's just ink. Get a grip.

• Away
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 22:38

QUOTE (Dr.Grace @ Dec 14 2008, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Timing. It was introduced after several "ink made my pen explode" threads.
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." -- Winston Churchill

#17 Dr.Grace

Dr.Grace

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2008 - 22:51

Sorry, Nathan would not say this about his main line of inks, because only risk-addicted people would buy them. It would be a self-defeating business strategy. And only a small quantity of this one was made. So what's so special about the chemical formulation? This is not just another case of CYA.

#18 mstone

mstone

Pensive Penman

• Member - Gold

• 1,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2008 - 00:34

QUOTE (Dr.Grace @ Dec 14 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, Nathan would not say this about his main line of inks, because only risk-addicted people would buy them. It would be a self-defeating business strategy. And only a small quantity of this one was made. So what's so special about the chemical formulation? This is not just another case of CYA.

Look at this thread--the target market for Noodler's specialty inks will buy them anyway, and will use them in whatever pen they want. But Nathan's said quite plainly that he can't afford to either test the ink in every possible pen, or to replace pens damaged by ink; I seem to recall him saying during the BSB controversy that if he couldn't think of a way to prevent the possibility that people were going to come after him or his distributors he was simply going to stop making new inks. I assume that this is what he came up with. Are we likely to see this on the regular Noodler's inks? No--but when he said that BSB was different than any of his other inks, that wasn't sufficient to make the distinction. This probably is.

#19 Dr.Grace

Dr.Grace

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:13

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Nathan is practically spelling out that this ink will stain or corrode some pens. It's probably as bad as Baystate Blue in that regard, or worse. I wouldn't use it in any of my pens.

#20 WillSW

WillSW

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,449 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:55

QUOTE (Dr.Grace @ Dec 14 2008, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Nathan is practically spelling out that this ink will stain or corrode some pens. It's probably as bad as Baystate Blue in that regard, or worse. I wouldn't use it in any of my pens.

12 pack of Heros for $35. Easily replaced after the pen melts and a 50% of a lovely smooth nib.

#21 Sharkle

Sharkle

Sharkle

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 20:43

QUOTE (WillSW @ Dec 15 2008, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Dr.Grace @ Dec 14 2008, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

12 pack of Heros for $35. Easily replaced after the pen melts and a 50% of a lovely smooth nib.

roflmho.gif and not a bad suggestion for the hell-bent among us, because this is a fantastic color. Thanks for the review and subsequent info.

#22 tzmcneill

tzmcneill

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 22:25

This is absolutely amazing. BSB comes out and people went out of their way to complain and bash it for staining. Now this new ink comes out with a warning and the first thing people do is ignore the warning, perhaps coming to the conclusion that it really doesn't stain that badly. My guess is that the ink probably contains elements of BSB, hence the warning. Perception is an interesting thing.

tom.

#23 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 22:26

Maybe it's time to pick up some of the little squeeze-filling Pilots again. (78G?)
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#24 mstone

mstone

Pensive Penman

• Member - Gold

• 1,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2008 - 22:43

QUOTE (tzmcneill @ Dec 15 2008, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is absolutely amazing. BSB comes out and people went out of their way to complain and bash it for staining. Now this new ink comes out with a warning and the first thing people do is ignore the warning, perhaps coming to the conclusion that it really doesn't stain that badly. My guess is that the ink probably contains elements of BSB, hence the warning. Perception is an interesting thing.

Presumably, that's two distinct sets of people. I use BSB, because I care more about the ink (and the writing) than the pen. Others don't. It takes all kinds to make a world. happyberet.gif I also don't use it in a yellow safari. roflmho.gif

#25 Spindrift

Spindrift

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 22:49

If you’re looking for very inexpensive pens that can be easily sacrificed to dangerous inks, checkout Ebay; I have actually purchased .98 cent Chinese pens that write remarkably well. Just be sure to check the shipping cost before bidding.

#26 TConnell

TConnell

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:59

Good Evening!

I'd like to add some additional information to my initial impressions of this ink. I have seen NO staining problem. I've filled cartridges, convertors, and the barrels of the supplied "Preppy" pens and I'm happy to say that the ink seems to wash out of them completely. It DOES, however, take a few changes of water to get the residual color flushed away.

I can live with that.

The pens I used for the initial scanned document have been cleaned and put away. In common with most saturated inks I've used, a short bath in my ultrasonic was needed to get out all the ink.

Next, I want to fill a not TOO expensive, steel nib pen with Kung Te-cheng and use it for a week or two to see if any corrosion problems show up.

Thanks to everyone for the lively conversations generated herein.

Tom Connell

P.S.: By the way, I didn't see nib creep on any of the pens I used.

#27 Empacherguy

Empacherguy

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 18:31

Stain or no stain, I flat out love the color!! Wow! Super rich! And from your scans it doesn't look quite as purpley as Aurora's Blue. It very much reminds me of the cobalt blue around the rim of my Dansk dinner plates - which is to say, Cool! Perhaps I shall pick a sacrificial lamb-pen to try it with - one that won't show the potential stain.

#28 Possum Hill

Possum Hill

It's just ink. Get a grip.

• Away
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 19:10

QUOTE (Dr.Grace @ Dec 14 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not just risk-addicted people, but people who believe either the risk is overstated or the public reaction is hysterical would buy.

Nathan might have used the same warning for all his other ink if he'd thought about it.

Maybe this new ink will stain some pens and maybe it will clog a few. For me those are trivial risks and the warning is both CYA and brilliant marketing. Just look at all the attention it's getting.

Edited by Possum Hill, 16 December 2008 - 19:14.

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." -- Winston Churchill

#29 El Mocho

El Mocho

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 22:05

QUOTE (Dr.Grace @ Dec 14 2008, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what's so special about the chemical formulation? This is not just another case of CYA.

There's something in the label about not feeding the ink after midnight. It probably won't make too much difference.

(/kidding)

#30 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 3,012 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2008 - 22:55

QUOTE (TConnell @ Dec 16 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good Evening!

I'd like to add some additional information to my initial impressions of this ink. I have seen NO staining problem. I've filled cartridges, convertors, and the barrels of the supplied "Preppy" pens and I'm happy to say that the ink seems to wash out of them completely. It DOES, however, take a few changes of water to get the residual color flushed away.

I can live with that.

The pens I used for the initial scanned document have been cleaned and put away. In common with most saturated inks I've used, a short bath in my ultrasonic was needed to get out all the ink.

Next, I want to fill a not TOO expensive, steel nib pen with Kung Te-cheng and use it for a week or two to see if any corrosion problems show up.

Thanks to everyone for the lively conversations generated herein.

Tom Connell

P.S.: By the way, I didn't see nib creep on any of the pens I used.

Try this one on eBay from gotoschool888 - 350141193348

I have a couple of these and while not great writers, they are reliable and are eminently suitable for such testing purposes.

You could also pick up 10 Hero 616s, for a starting bid of US$7.xx plus postage, from his site.

As usual, not affiliated, just a happy customer. I picked up 3 Jinhao X-450s from him, which are a step up from the Huashilai 3000 in the above link, just for this purpose.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif