How to fill a Pilot Custom 823

Getsurin

My apologies if this topic has been covered in the past - but I still could not seem to solve the problem.

I followed the instructions in the manual, ie, lift the plunger all the way back, dip the pen in the ink bottle and then push the plunger in. However, when I pushed down the plunger, I found that most of the ink has been purged from the pen. (did I do anything wrong here?)

To go around this problem, I inhaled the ink by lifting the plunger, then tilt the pen nib up before gently pushing the plunger back. I found that some of the ink has gone behind the plunger washer (about 1 inch).

The problem starts when I wrote approx 2 pages and there was no more ink from the nib although I could see the ink through the barrel - some below the washer and 1 inch still above the washer. I had to shake the pen to get the ink out.

I wonder if I have done something silly and damaged the pen. If so, is there anyway I can rectify it.

Your comments will be valuable to me - thanks in advance,

Looking for Vintage Pelikan M 400 with OB nib

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Getsurin

• thibaulthalpern

• hari317

• troglokev

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I followed the instructions in the manual, ie, lift the plunger all the way back, dip the pen in the ink bottle and then push the plunger in. However, when I pushed down the plunger, I found that most of the ink has been purged from the pen. (did I do anything wrong here?)

Hi, the plunger filler fills after you have pushed the plunger all the way down.

If you already have ink in the pen and want to refill, hold the pen nib down over an open inkpot. pull the plunger out slowly and fully. Now push the plunger in firmly. the ink will be expelled as the plunger is pushed (creating vacuum behind the plunger seal), when the plunger reaches the end of the travel, a mechanism on the section breaks the vacuum behind the piston seal which is replaced by ink getting sucked up to fill the barrel.

on a 823, you have to back off the piston blind cap a turn to allow ink into the feeder.

I think your pen is OK. :thumbup:

Best,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

The diagram below illustrates the principle used.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/3069916189_c3775f2bd2_o.jpg

As the piston is pushed down, ink and air are expelled from the pen, and a partial vacuum forms behind the piston. At the bottom of the ink chamber, the bore increases slightly, and as the piston passes this position, the seal is broken and the partial vacuum draws ink into the pen. Ink is supposed to be drawn into the chamber, almost filling it if the seals are good (well past the piston).

I doubt you've damaged your pen. AFAIR, when writing you need the blind cap opened up a turn, because the piston seals against the feed when fully closed. This would explain your ink starvation.

From what you describe, I'd be worried about the seal at the blind-cap end of the barrel. If these leak, the partial vacuum is not formed, and the whole thing doesn't work. Does it feel kind of springy as you push the piston down (as it should)?

A last thing to try before sending it off for repair: try filling it again, and leave it in the ink bottle a bit longer to give it time to suck in the ink (okay, I'm clutching at straws here).

Edited by troglokev

Thanks all for your prompt reply. Here are some clarifications:

(1) When I first inked my pen and pushed the plunger right in, the ink did not fill. In fact, I repeated this several times before deciding to try the work around I mentioned.

(2) About a inch of ink is now past the plunger washer (I guess this is already inside the supposed vacuum). The ink got in there after I tried to lift more ink while holding the pen nib up.

I will try to use up the rest of the ink and flush out whatever it is in there (it looks quite ugly now, with ink sticking to the areas past the plunger washer). I am using Noodlers Black.

BTW, yes always unscrewed the plunger cap before using the pen.

Appreciate all your replies :)

Edited by Getsurin

(2) About a inch of ink is now past the plunger washer (I guess this is already inside the supposed vacuum). The ink got in there after I tried to lift more ink while holding the pen nib up.

If you pull the plunger all the way out, there will be very little ink above the plunger. It will squeeze back down into the main body of the barrel.

Also, all the ink is supposed to be above the plunger washer during normal operation with a small amount trickling past into the feed. Are you pushing the plunger back in after you fill it?

Edited by Siv

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Just one...possibly elementary... point, from a non-owner (although I do have an 845).

Make sure that the pen is vertical when you have it immersed in the ink, or it may suck-in air rather than ink.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

And are you making sure that the ink level is ABOVE the nib and in fact a little covering the section above the nib?

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

Just one other hint, chiming in with the rest: I've found it helpful to push the plunger in fairly quickly while it's in the ink. When I tried doing it slowly, the mechanism didn't seem to work as well.

Good luck! Once you figure it out, I think you'll love the Pilot 823 - it's a great pen.

Thank you all, once again for your helpful replies.

One question - when I lift the plunger should or should not the nib be in the ink.

Yes, the 823 is a great pen - it seems like only one in my collection that does not bleed a Moleskine.

Edited by Getsurin

Thank you all, once again for your helpful replies.

One question - when I lift the plunger should or should not the nib be in the ink.

Yes, the 823 is a great pen - it seems like only one in my collection that does not bleed a Moleskine.

Test it. If you pull out the plunger does the ink expell? Do you want the ink returned to the bottle or dumped? These determine whether or not the nib should or should not be in the bottle.

I suggest you try sucking up water in a cup first to understand how the mechanism works. This way, you won't be wasting ink and won't be ink staining everything.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

I suggest you try sucking up water in a cup first to understand how the mechanism works. This way, you won't be wasting ink and won't be ink staining everything.

Excellent idea. Definitely experiment with water first, so you can get a feel for how it works. The key is for the piston head to pass the barrel mouth whereby the fluid would get sucked inside. Once you discover the motion that is required to make that happen, repeat it in a bottle of ink.

But definitely be sure that the nib is completely submerged in the ink when pushing the piston rod down. You should see air bubbles in the ink, showing that the air is being evacuated. Once the piston nears the bottom of the barrel, you should hear a brief sound (might be a sucking noise or "swoosh" as the ink gets sucked into the barrel), and then the pen should be loaded with ink. Screw the blind cap closed, wipe off the nib and you're ready.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small