MB White Forest Season's Greetings '08

QM2

http://queenmargot.com/mb_whiteforest1.jpg

This is a supplemental review to the original review of this ink by Michael R. I was really excited to have found the

Montblanc Season's Greetings 2008 and I took some photos of the packaging that people may enjoy. I also include

some additional colour comparisons to those in Michael's Review.

http://queenmargot.com/mb_whiteforest7.jpg

The packaging of White Forest is romantic and retro, executed in shades of desaturated green ans silver. It really

does bring to mind a quiet forest covered with fresh snow during the holiday season.

The pine scent is considerably more subtle than the very strong smells of the other MB scented inks I have. It smells

not so much like a household cleaner, but more like a man's shaving product. Not my favourite scent to tell the truth,

so the fact that it is so subtle is good.

http://queenmargot.com/mb_whiteforest2.jpg

I find the colour spectacular: a cool-tone dark green that is vibrant enough to be festive, but also subdued enough

to be suitable for everyday use, including work.

The flow is excellent! I am now using it in my Bexley Owner's Club 2008 with a .6mm stub, and it is exceptionally

smooth. Unlike regular production MB inks, this ink is quite saturated -- similar to Private Reserve and non-BP

Noodler's inks.

Here are some close-ups of the colour on Rhodia 5x5 grid paper using the .6mm Bexley stub:

http://queenmargot.com/mb_whiteforest3.jpg

http://queenmargot.com/mb_whiteforest4.jpg

And here are some comparisons: Noodler's Army Green in a Pelikan EF, PR vacado in a Nakaya .55mm stub, MB

White Forest in a Bexley .6mm stub, and Noodler's Legal Lapis in a Yard o Led .45 cursive italic. The Legal Lapis

is thrown in there to show where this ink stands between a pure green and green-tinted blue.

http://queenmargot.com/mb_whiteforest5.jpg

Here is a close-up: PR Avacado on the left, MB White Forest in the middle, and Noodler's Legal Lapis on the right.

http://queenmargot.com/mb_whiteforest6.jpg

The colour and flow of this ink are impressive, and I will probably be using it as my daily ink for a while. I love

green inks and winter themes, so for me this is just a divine ink to own. Definitely my favourite of the Montblanc

Season's Greeting's series.

Edited by QM2

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• PigRatAndGoat

• Michael R.

• loweevan

Thank you for the nice pictures - I have to buy it!

It did remind me of "Diamine Umber", which I like very much as

a "wellbehaving", saturated ink with nice shading.

Wish you a good sunday,

Anna

I'm not a native speaker of the english language. My apologies in advance when I'm causing trouble by bad grammar, wrong vocabulary, misspelling - friendly correction always welcome!

"...I still believe that people are really good at heart."

Anne Frank, "Diary" (14 years old)

Really?

It is funny, every time I hear a comment about Diamine Umber, it always gives me a different impression of the colour! I thought it was more of an Earth-tone green, no? Oh well, looks like I will just have to buy it eventually : )

... I took some photos of the packaging that people may enjoy.

Many thanks for the nice pictures of the bottle (that is something my review definitely is missing :) ) and the comparisons.

Not my favourite scent to tell the truth, so the fact that it is so subtle is good.

I absolutely agree; I never would have choosen this smell but being that subtle it is a real pleasure to use it.

this ink is quite saturated -- similar to Private Reserve and non-BP Noodler's inks.

But it still shows some shading (what I like).

I might want to add that the ink seems to dry in more quickly in pens not used regulary (which is the same experience I made with the earlier Season's Greetings inks).

From my experience Umber is more subtle and less intense and dark. It has more grey and olive tones.

This is a scan of Diamine Umber I made some time ago:

http://people.freenet.de/pensninks/Diamine/Umber.jpg

Cheers

Michael

... it still shows some shading (what I like).

I might want to add that the ink seems to dry in more quickly in pens not used regulary (which is the same experience I made with the earlier Season's Greetings inks).

This is a scan of Diamine Umber I made some time ago:

Yes, the ink does have some shading, particularly in italic pens. Odd, I have not noticed any drying out problems in my Season's Greetings and other MB LE Inks -- in fact I've used them in vintage flex pens, which are usually pretty sensitive to such things, with no problems. Does this happen in all your pens, or just certain ones?

I enjoy looking at the ink samples on your website and I have always wondered: why is there the appearance of texture on the samples, almost like folded cloth?..

I enjoy looking at the ink samples on your website and I have always wondered: why is there the appearance of texture on the samples, almost like folded cloth?..

Thank you very much for the nice comments but I really need to update my site!

The texture you see comes from "drawing" the ink swatches by a broad ornament nib moving it across the paper forth and back like a "Z" to get a solid color sample. This shows the shading ability of ink because in the darker areas the nib was moved across the paper overlaping the earlier lines. You won't see this texture on swatches of inks which don't show lots of shading at all.

Cheers

Michael

Ok, I am definitely going to get myself a bottle after exams!

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Ok, I am definitely going to get myself a bottle after exams!

Always glad to influence today's youth towards good choices : )

The texture you see comes from "drawing" the ink swatches by a broad ornament nib moving it across the paper forth and back like a "Z" to get a solid color sample. This shows the shading ability of ink because in the darker areas the nib was moved across the paper overlaping the earlier lines. You won't see this texture on swatches of inks which don't show lots of shading at all.

Michael, that's unbelievable. I would never, ever had guessed that; glad I asked. Must try it some time!

Oh, quick question: Love the packaging, but is it deep enough to fill a pen many times?

Montblanc 145, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib

Oh, quick question: Love the packaging, but is it deep enough to fill a pen many times?

No

Michael

PS: at least not a pen with a large nib which requires dipping beyond the collar

Edited by Michael R.

Thanks for the review. Looks like another must have review...as soon as someone stocks it in the States.

The MB refill shop site is down. Maybe they're updating it with the new ink!

Montblanc 145, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib

this really looks like a good ink (thanks for the comparison scan, too!) but i wonder how it compares with Swishmix Lakeshore Spruce, which is also a dark-ish slightly-blue-but-still-medium green. I'll probably give it a go, the next time I'm in the city (for my friend's wedding at cityhall on wednesday!) but I bet they'll be out of it.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

i wonder how it compares with Swishmix Lakeshore Spruce, which is also a dark-ish slightly-blue-but-still-medium green.

Hm, don't have that one. I am trying to curb my desire to acquire every off-green ink in production (but it isn't working very well!)

One critical comment I forgot to mention about this ink in my bliss: It has extremely poor water resistance, so beware of wet hands and spilled droplets of drink.

PenTieRun: The US does stock it, if you go to a MB Boutique. They just don't have it online yet.

I like the presentation of the ink bottle. Although I'm not a particular fan of green (Racing Green being the only exception), but do the other season's greeting colours use the same bottle? Thanks!

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

I like the presentation of the ink bottle. Although I'm not a particular fan of green (Racing Green being the only exception), but do the other season's greeting colours use the same bottle? Thanks!

Yes, they all seem to have that bottle. Same shape anyway, but they all don't say "White Forest" :D

Edited by cmenice

Yes, they all seem to have that bottle. Same shape anyway, but they all don't say "White Forest" :D

and also the Je T'Aime / Loveletter inks; same bottle

No

Michael

PS: at least not a pen with a large nib which requires dipping beyond the collar

I will not be deterred! I just recently finished my first bottle of ink, and I think it will transfer over very nicely.

Montblanc 145, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib

I will not be deterred! I just recently finished my first bottle of ink, and I think it will transfer over very nicely.

When it comes to the ink of your choice, let nothing stand in your way.

Let courage and perseverance guide you.