#1 yucki8aby

yucki8aby

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 15:11

Hi all,

i have this platinum preppy ED filler which i was messing around with, and somehow i managed to make the nib write really squeakily on paper. it really irks me and i have solved the problem, but any advice as to what might have caused it?

thanks,

shaowei

#2 Paddler

Paddler

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2008 - 15:17

I have a Pelikan M205 that squeaks with certain inks. How did you fix yours?

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

#3 JJBlanche

JJBlanche

Lost in a sea of ideas...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 16:33

Squeak is based -- to some extent -- upon writing angle and pressure. I'm sure there are other factors involved as well.

#4 RevAaron

RevAaron

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,930 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 21:27

For me, a lot of Pelikans are squeaky. If you are using a really light touch it won't generally squeak. My new M250 squeaks, but is smooth at least... The more lubricated inks squeak less than the dryer ones- Lamy Blue-Black and Pelikan Blue-Black both make the pen (and other modern Pelikans I've tried) go from squeaky to scratchy; Noodler's Polar Blue, Pelikan Brilliant Brown, and Aurora Black all worked wonderfully, especially the Aurora. That managed to quiet it down. The Pelikan Brown isn't particularily lubricated, but it had something in it that helped.

Also, paper used can make the problem worse. The M250 wrote quite squeakily on Rhodia, but not on cheaper notebook paper.

You can get squeaks smoothed out, but I rather doubt you're going to send in a Preppy to be Binderized. If you did, you'd probably be the first! biggrin.gif You could give it a go yourself, or change ink or paper.
WTB: Ford's Patent Pen, Pilot Blue ink (Thai)
Also: Orthos Pens | Danish MB #4 nib | 1G Hundred Year Pen cap

#5 RayMan

RayMan

Penathlete

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2008 - 22:16

I have an Esterbrook 2668 which I love, but it squeaks. I have no idea how to fix it, so I just live with it.
Regards,

Ray

#6 Tricia

Tricia

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 22:42

I have a couple of pens that squeak on certain paper, usually smoother ones. Ink could also have something to do with it, but I use mostly 'wet' inks, so that's usually not the issue for me.

I do have a Preppy but the noise it makes is more of a scratchy sound when I write. Note that the pen does not feel scratchy, just makes that sound. For a real aural treat, try one of the Pelikan fountain pen ink roller balls. glare.gif
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

#7 yucki8aby

yucki8aby

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 00:33

All i did was to erm... mess around with the nib using a nail buffer. no pain there cos it's a 2 dollar pen i guess.

shaowei

#8 RevAaron

RevAaron

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,930 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:55

Tricia: Well, sounding scratchy is different from a squeak... It's very common in firm and EFish nib. I tend to think of it as sounding like the sound of a pencil scratching.

Dang it, why can everyone else smooth a nib but me? Any attempts at smoothing tend to end up with squeaky nibs. :/
WTB: Ford's Patent Pen, Pilot Blue ink (Thai)
Also: Orthos Pens | Danish MB #4 nib | 1G Hundred Year Pen cap

#9 yucki8aby

yucki8aby

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:45

I believe the squeakiness is due to a flat foot, and if u apply pressure and write with it at the same angle which u used when drawing circles and figure eights on micromesh, you'll end up with the squeak. Correct me if i'm wrong.

regards,

shaowei