Montblanc Bohème Big-Size

Michael R.

I really liked the new series of Montblanc pens right from the beginning (1999-2000 ???) when Montblanc issued the Noir et Noir and Rouge et Noir pens which later became the Bohème series.

I was lucky enough to buy one of the last Noir et Noir pens from Axel when he was still working in his MB boutique in Bremen before MB replaced the original design with the Bohème.

While I still really like the Bohème, I like the original design much better (without the additional secorating ring on the gripping section).

By now I have the original small model with the retractable nib (Noir et Noir; EF), the Mid-Size model (Vert - black with gold trim and emerald green stone; F) which has a fixed nib, is slightly longer and accepts a converter as well as two of the large Big-Size models (Platinum Line; "M" and "EF") which is a large version of the small model with the retractable nib.

Strangely I don't see the Big-Size model that often, nor do I find any evidence of this model in any of my printed MB catalogs.

The Platinum Line Big-Size is still listed on MB website:

http://images.montblanc.com/products/images/07471_s.png

(image linked from the official MB site)

MB really never put too much efforts in advertising this model.

Since most people prefere large pens I really wonder why it did not became that popular.

To me this is one of the most intersesting modern MB pens ever made.

Does anybody recall when this model was introduced? My guess is around 2002 but I don't know for sure....

Also do I remember correctly that there was a Big-Size version with gold trim as well? When was it discontinued?

It's a pitty that MB did not offer the Big-Size models with a colored stone inserted in the clip.

I will try to post some pictures of those pens soon....

Michael

Edited by Michael R.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• Titivillus

• Blade Runner

• Francois_uk

I think the big size appears almost as an afterthought to the retractable version. Sort of like they heard alot of people wanted a fixed nib so they knocked one up out of parts and started selling it. They seem to be branching out in new materials on the smaller one. Maybe they think this is competition for their Meisterstuck line.

K

...They seem to be branching out in new materials on the smaller one. Maybe they think this is competition for their Meisterstuck line.

Exactly; some of the new finishes look great (e.g. the MARRON with rose gold trim or the DOUÉ LIGNE with dark brown plastic, golden cap and engraved lines) but the regular Bohème is really small... I'd love to see more variations available for the Big Size!

...Maybe they think this is competition for their Meisterstuck line.

It definitely is competition but at least the customer would stay with the same brand :)

Michael

It definitely is competition but at least the customer would stay with the same brand :)

Michael

I don't know if they would dilute their customer base by increasing similar pen lines.

Kurt

I think the big size has been discontinue or will be discontinue, last time I went to MB I asked about the big size with converter filling, and that is what she told me. The sales person told some smaller and older MB boutique might still have them at discounted price.

I think the big size has been discontinue or will be discontinue, last time I went to MB I asked about the big size with converter filling, and that is what she told me. The sales person told some smaller and older MB boutique might still have them at discounted price.

The Bohème with the converter is the Mid-Size model which has the fixed nib; this one has been discontinued some years ago.

The Big-Size has the retractable nib and only takes one small international cartidge! Even most stores don't stock this pen it is still available on the MB website: Big-Size Bohème

Michael

Here are some images of the Bohème fountain pens:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/Bohemes.jpg

range of Bohème pens: Bohème Mid-Size Vert "F"; Bohème Platinum Line Big Size "M"; Bohème Platinum Line Big Size "EF" and Noir et Noir "EF" (same size as the regular Bohème)

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/Bohemeand146.jpg

comparing a modern 146 with the Big Size

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/Bohemeand149.jpg

comparing 149 and Big Size posted

Michael

Michael,

Thanks for the subject and the beautiful photos.

The Big Boheme is really big, including a big nib!

I had a chance to buy the medium sized Boheme with fixed nib, and have regretted not doing so.

Do you use a convertor in it, and if so, is it a standard MB convertor?

Love the pen case too. What is the capacity and does it fit a 149 comfortably?

Jeen

I had a chance to buy the medium sized Boheme with fixed nib, and have regretted not doing so.

Do you use a convertor in it, and if so, is it a standard MB convertor?

Yes, right now I'm using a the converter which came with pen. It's a standard size converter but it screws into position so I don't know if it will work in other MB pens. I'll try to take some pictures later today.

Love the pen case too. What is the capacity and does it fit a 149 comfortably?

It fits two pens nicely. The 149 will fit even it appears that the Diaries & Notes case is designed for 146 size pens. I'm even able to fit the very long Kafka fp into this case (at least I was able to fit it into the case before it had to go back to MB after one week of gentle use because the chromium plating was flaking of the internal piston housing :angry: - I'd wish they would have made it from solid sterling silver or at least stainless steel).

I can post a picture with a 149 in the case later as well.

This case is really nice. It also came on dark brown which looks even nicer. Today the design has changed very slightly adding a little MB emblem to the MB imprint. Also a new burgundy-aubergine color is available which looks really nice.

Thanks for the great comparison, your photos are stunning. I love mine as a every day carry pen.

Thank's for your nice comments; lighting is not that good so difference between gold and silver trim does not show too well and the reflections on the trim bother me a little bit ... but I have done worse pictures in the past :)

Michael

Michael,

I saw your case with the new MB logo badge on the strap. The inside of the flap also had an embossed MB design.

Very attractive!

Jeen

P.S. Many thanks for the packet - very well done and useful!!! :happyberet:

I sent you a letter several days before.

Here are the promised pictures:

Bohème Mid-Size converter:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/Bohemeopen.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/Boheme.jpg

Diaries & Notes case with modern 149 + 146:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/case1.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/case2.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/case3.jpg

Cheers

Michael

PS:

P.S. Many thanks for the packet - very well done and useful!!! :happyberet:

I sent you a letter several days before.

Oh, you already received the Ink Sample Booklet - that was fast, or did I forget when I sent it..... :) I just remember that the lady at the post office used up all her stamps with the comment: "now, it looks like more..." :)

Michael, I like the other pouch that's in the background. I know it's a discontinued model. I saw a few of them, old stock, in different colours in the MB boutique in Bahrain. I regret not buying one or two.

Michael R.,

do you ever worry about the clip striking the resin as you remove the pen from its leather case? I haven't personally tried securing the pen like you have, but have seen many pictures that do. Any advice?

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Not speaking for Michael, but I saw a divider in that case, so I suppose you could put the pens in the case without clipping, although they would move around a bit.

Michael R.,

do you ever worry about the clip striking the resin as you remove the pen from its leather case? I haven't personally tried securing the pen like you have, but have seen many pictures that do. Any advice?

The only pen I've ever seen with damage beneath the clip is a starwalker in matte that had marks beneath. Don't know if there would be any issues with the resin.

K

Hmm, I'm more worried about damage to resin due to clipping. I currently have my pen wrapped in a little fabric to reduce the amount of movement during travel. Would prefer to have the pen clipped to the case, though. Anyone here try it?

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Hmm, I'm more worried about damage to resin due to clipping. I currently have my pen wrapped in a little fabric to reduce the amount of movement during travel. Would prefer to have the pen clipped to the case, though. Anyone here try it?

I understand your worries. I'd prefer to use cases with the pen not needed to be attached or clipped but in this case I don't worry too much. Clipping the pen to the case and taking it out again hopefully does not put more wear to the pen compared to clipping it into your shirt pocket...

I would be more careful incase those were laquered pens or pens with a thin metal plating.

If you look closely at some of the older MB hard-leather-cases (Florence,...) they have a small factory impression to place the clips into.

Cheers

Michael

• 2 years later...

How much bigger is the medium sized compared to the standard retractible? I have an opp to buy a medium one, deciding if I should go for that or find a big size

How much bigger is the medium sized compared to the standard retractible? I have an opp to buy a medium one, deciding if I should go for that or find a big size

The "Midsize" Boheme ist not bigger than the small retractable one, it's just a bit longer. The fp has the same size as the rollerball.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006