Letter Closings

nolagraph

I love writing letters to my friends but I've grown quite weary of using such endings as "Sincerely" and "Always." Anyone have any better suggestions? What are your favorite "parting shots" to close friends or family?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillTheEditor

• Maria

• hardyb

• HerosNSuch

For business communications, I close with "Regards"

For close friends "Later Bro" for men and "Later Boo" for women (I have odd friends who appreciate the lax nature of these"

For not so close friends "Peace be with you"(it tests the waters for later oddities)

For family "Dearly"

For my wife "With deepest love"

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."

-Albert Einstein

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

BP/Pencil set trade

Shared language?

I always sign off ave or vale or something of that sort. Even when writing to people who don't know Latin.

I like that. I may begin using "veritus et aequitus."

Edited by HerosNSuch

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."

-Albert Einstein

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

BP/Pencil set trade

Useful Latin closings:

Cacoethes scribendi - An insatiable urge to write. (Juvenal)

Facta, non verba - Deeds, not words.

Lapsus calami - A slip of the pen

Obesa cantavit - The fat lady has sung

Oderint dum metuant - Let them hate provided that they fear. (Seneca)

Per angusta in augusta - Through difficulties to great things

Per ardua ad astra - Through difficulties to the stars

Perscriptio in manibus tabellariorum est - The check is in the mail

Qui scribit bis legit - He who writes reads twice

Res ipsa loquitur - The thing speaks for itself

Roma locuta est. Causa finita est - Rome has spoken. The cause is finished

Semper scriptum mandate - Always get it in writing!

Senatus Populusque Romanus (SPQR) - The Senate and the Roman people

Scribere est agere-To write is to act.

Tu fui, ego eris - What you are, I was. What I am, you will be. (Inscription found on graves and burial sites)

Vir humanus et doctorus/litteratus - A gentleman and a scholar

Ut humiliter opinor - In my humble opinion

Verba volant, (littera) scripta manet - Words fly away, the written (letter) remains

De inimico non loquaris sed cogites - Don't wish ill for your enemy; plan it

Homo proponit, sed Deus disponit - Man proposes, but God disposes

Honor virutis preamium - Honour is the reward of virtue

The Danitrio Fellowship

love the latin closings. i usually close letters to friends with "cheers" or when i'm feeling silly "i beg to remain your most humble and obedient servant". "with love" is also a good one.

be thyself. to thyself be. enough.

Sometimes, just to be obnoxious, I end writings with the Latin phrase "Quod Erat Demonstrandum." It translates literally to "that which was to be demonstrated", and is used at the end of formal mathematical proofs. It shows the math geek side of me.

I usually write "Best Regards" or "Sincerely."

A good friend of mine always starts his letters with "Greetings" and ends with "De-Greetings." He is also know to watch way too many sci-fi movies. /Craig

Edited by CraigR

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

one of the FPN ers I write to ends with 'In friendship'..... which I really like and have started to use

I also had a friend who I emailed regularly at one time who always signed off 'your friend in Christ'....... which is great when writing to people Christian faith and I was certainly always appreciative or it.

Other than that I use the usual

'look forward to hearing from you'

'cheers'

'regards'

'blessings'

'until next time'

'namaste'

'peace be with you'

'warmest wishes'

'speak soon'

'right I'm off...'

or any other random thought that goes through my head really.......

So I'm opinionated - get over it!!.......No, really - get over it!!

Hmmmm I was going to put up a WANTS list - but that's too long as well ......

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

And so saying, I remain thine with hops, in haze and foam, by the beard of Ashurbannipal and the buckler of Ninib the Smiter,

MCR>

Abstractor of the Quintessence

Order of the Digital Grail

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

I had a client who ended letters with such things as "Yours 'til Niagra Falls", with 'Falls' being a verb; this was not an offer or confirmation of an rendezvous. (Or at least I hope it wasn't... )

I really got a kick out of those closings.

And for non-Christian new-agers, could use "Blessed Be"

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

A good friend of mine always starts his letters with "Greetings" and ends with "De-Greetings." He is also know to watch way too many sci-fi movies. /Craig

Hey, that's a good one. For anyone who knows HTML, you could begin with [LETTER] and end with [/LETTER].

I've got a blog!

Fountain Pen Love

I typically use the following:

Best regards,

As ever,

With a handshake, (Vincent van Gogh's favorite sign-off)

All the best,

And on occasion I'll use:

Au revoir,

Ciao!

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Getting away from the Latin for a moment:

Gruß und Kuss (love and kisses)

Schönen Gruß zu Hause (give my regards to the folks)

Auf Wiedersehen! (Bye! Cheerio! See ya! TTFN!)

Tschüss

Hoo Roo! or Ooroo!

Do svidanja

Au revoir! (Bye!)

À bientôt

Vaya con Dios! (Go with God!)

Salud!

Salaam

Vaarwel

Doei

Ciao!

Sayonara

Y'all come and see us some time, hear? (not necessarily to be taken literally!)

These are all great suggestions - I especially like all of the Latin phrases. My friends are just the type of people to appreciate them!

Getting away from the Latin for a moment:

Gruß und Kuss (love and kisses)

Schönen Gruß zu Hause (give my regards to the folks)

Auf Wiedersehen! (Bye! Cheerio! See ya! TTFN!)

Tschüss

Hoo Roo! or Ooroo!

Do svidanja

Au revoir! (Bye!)

À bientôt

Vaya con Dios! (Go with God!)

Salud!

Salaam

Vaarwel

Doei

Ciao!

Sayonara

Y'all come and see us some time, hear? (not necessarily to be taken literally!)

In high school German class we began using "Auf Wieder-bye-bye"

A former boss liked "In the Peace of St. Francis and St. John Baptist de la Salle," (it was a Catholic Educational institute) and yet another who simply used "Pax," (which I would copy, but I couldn't stand the man!)

This has been an interesting thread--I had actually consciously been considering finding a unique closing sentiment because "Sincerely" and "Regards" have become a bit dull for my tastes. I wanted to find something unique enough to use for personal and informal correspondence, yet professional enough to use in formal situations... I would consider "Obediently," but nobody that knows me could get past it without laughing...

I'm still debating options... haven't found anything that quite strikes my fancy.

Mit Schlagsahne,

SE

http://www.myrnet.com/smallestlaotzu.jpg

"In all importantant matters, style, not sincerity is the essential" (Oscar Wilde)

muinteoir.wordpress.com

With Metta...

Metta in Pali means loving-kindness, friendliness, goodwill, benevolence, fellowship, amity, concord. Commonly used in the Buddhist context.

Mike

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb