Photo

Cheap and practical alternative to blotting-paper.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shangas

Shangas

Sealing wax and other fancy stuff...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,955 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2008 - 22:56

In recent months, having run out of actual blotting-paper, I have been scouring around, trying to find a suitable alternative, since the store where I used to buy my paper from has long-since run out of stock (and don't appear to be restocking anytime soon).

I've tried everything from facial-tissues, toilet-paper, different types of writing-paper...until I came upon a solution while at work one day.

Ordinary paper-towels.

Now I don't mean those huge never-ending rolls of paper that never seem to tear correctly when you want them to and you end up with six feet of paper to dry a pair of hands, I mean those sheets of paper-towel which are folded thrice, to form little interlocking 'N' shaped pieces of paper. They're stacked up and form rectangles.

I've found that this kind of paper is very suitable for blotting-paper. It's light, it's easy to cut/tear into suitable sizes, and it's already in long, rectangular strips, so it's easy to put into rocker-blotters (If you can't put it into your blotter, I use small pieces of sticky-tape to hold the paper in place while I put the top back onto the blotter).

But, above all, this paper is HIGHLY ABSORBENT (It would have to be!) and doesn't smear/spread ink when you use it, that is, provided you're not a klutz. I pinched two huge handfuls of the stuff from work and keep it in my desk now. I cut it up and use it for blotting-paper.

So if you're looking a free alternative to blotting-paper, try that. It works for me! laugh.gif

Not this:

This:

Edited by Shangas, 28 July 2008 - 23:03.

"I, the proud owner of a fountain pen!" - Anne Frank.
Political Correctness [Definition]: A pitiful attempt by mankind to please all, disguise the truth, and fail at both.
"Not Yet Published". My Writing and History Blog.

#2 inkypete

inkypete

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2008 - 23:00

If you are looking for large sheets of blotter that you can cut to your preferred size you can get them at Officeworks and most art and craft stores like Riot, Lincraft etc.
Posted Image

#3 Shangas

Shangas

Sealing wax and other fancy stuff...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,955 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2008 - 23:04

I did try officeworks, but coudln't find anything. In the event of my still not finding anything, I'm gonna stick with my own method, but if I do...well, the more the merrier.

Besides, this is free, and in my mind, just as effective.

Edited by Shangas, 28 July 2008 - 23:04.

"I, the proud owner of a fountain pen!" - Anne Frank.
Political Correctness [Definition]: A pitiful attempt by mankind to please all, disguise the truth, and fail at both.
"Not Yet Published". My Writing and History Blog.

#4 DrPJM1

DrPJM1

Oversize Balance

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2008 - 23:07

Those are C-fold towels or Multi-fold towels. We buy them 3-4 cases at a time at Sam's Club.

You want the cheapest blotting paper? Try those free bar coasters! biggrin.gif
Pedro

Now looking for a Sheaffer OS Balance with a Stub nib or a Music nib