3 replies to this topic

#1 bishop

bishop

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 16:31

At one of my favorite local antique shops, I bought a large bottle of Skrip #34 permanent jet black and a master bottle of #632 washable black. (I wanted blue, but she cut me a deal on what she had and I like buying locally.) I bought a small empty bottle of washable Skrip to put the #632 in, just to keep the permanent & washable inks apart. But what is the difference betwixt the two? Where should I be safe using the washable ink, and where should I avoid using the permanent stuff?

Also, I have some modern Skrip cartridges and a bottle of modern Skrip blue-black on the way. Is the new stuff considered washable or permanent?

#2 AllWriteNow

AllWriteNow

www.allwritenow.net

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 16:33

I can't help with the new Skrip, sorry.

The vintage...
I use Permanent Jet Black for check writing etc.
The washable colors are just that they wash off with soap and water.
The will significant lighten if not vanish from plain water on paper.
Hope that helps

Steve

Edited by luckygrandson, 27 July 2008 - 14:28.

Posted Image

#3 Paddler

Paddler

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2008 - 14:15

I have done some torture tests with vintage Skrip. I have not used the permanent black, however. My tests were all done with blue colors (permanent blue black, permanent royal blue, etc). In general, direct sunlight and/or water will make the color go away, leaving a medium gray on the paper. Months of exposure to the elements will fade this gray color until eventually writing becomes illegible.

Washable colors will just wash away completely in a short time.

I have only tested two of the new Skrip in cartridges (from Slovenia): red and blue. They both survived 52 days of direct sun. Exposed to the elements for 52 days, red washed away; blue remained legible as gray.

I would say that, in general, a permanent colored Skrip would be good to use wherever you want the ink to be legible for many years, like journals, family history, etc. The washable colors should be used for temporary writing, like rough drafts, editing, etc. Washable blue is really transient stuff; it will eventually fade away in a dark, dry place. I have not tried washable black.

Hope this helps.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

#4 bishop

bishop

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 19:43

Excellent advice - thanks, guys.