Estie tools?

coolpenz

Hi, all

Maybe I'm delerious, but I seem to recall a post somewhere of someone who was offering a set of tools to facilitate removing/replacing Estie jewels. Does anyone else remember it and can you post a link? Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerry

• Firefyter-Emt

• EventHorizon

• coolpenz

Well, the most likely would be Bernie, followed by Firefyter-EMT, both of whom make tools for various parts of Estie jewel replacement.

I'm not aware of any post specifically discussing them though.

Perhaps they would like to introduce what they have...

Regards,

Gerry

Edit: BTW, the phrase 'followed by' was not in any way intended to suggest an order of preference or anything.

Edited by Gerry

Hammer, Vise-Grips and Duct Tape is a man needs.................

Other than that, I can't recall.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

Hi back,

I don't know if I am allowed to do this but Bernie has a message up on the Green board from earlier today.

Hillel

I can make you something to reset the rivet in the cap, but it does not help removal of the rivet itself. I use a small thin knife to peel the rivet back up to remove the clip. Then I use a metal rod (transfer punch) and a pair of pliers to make it as round as I can again. The anvil I make will re-fold the rivet to the clip, or tighten a loose one.

Although, I have to finish a jewel for Gerry so I can send his caps back first. I think he might come after me if I don't!!

PS, sorry for the delay bud, I just have one left to finish!! I just have not been able to get some good lathe time in the shop!

“If you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things you say about them to others.” ~Dr. Haim Ginott

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/PostcardBadge.png http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/InkExchange.png

My Website

• 2 weeks later...
I can make you something to reset the rivet in the cap, but it does not help removal of the rivet itself. I use a small thin knife to peel the rivet back up to remove the clip. Then I use a metal rod (transfer punch) and a pair of pliers to make it as round as I can again. The anvil I make will re-fold the rivet to the clip, or tighten a loose one.

Although, I have to finish a jewel for Gerry so I can send his caps back first. I think he might come after me if I don't!!

PS, sorry for the delay bud, I just have one left to finish!! I just have not been able to get some good lathe time in the shop!

No problem my friend. Hope you're not having trouble with it.

Regards,

Gerry

LOL... You know, I just noticed that I was not talking about Gerry, but Gary! That must of confused you a little bit there Gerry, but GARY does have his pen caps now! :ltcapd:

“If you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things you say about them to others.” ~Dr. Haim Ginott

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/PostcardBadge.png http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/InkExchange.png

My Website

• 2 weeks later...
Well, the most likely would be Bernie, followed by Firefyter-EMT, both of whom make tools for various parts of Estie jewel replacement.

Regards,

Gerry

Edit: BTW, the phrase 'followed by' was not in any way intended to suggest an order of preference or anything.

Wanting to play around with the 4 Renew points for my new copper J.

I am looking for tool to help remove renew point that I have tightened too far.

Grabbing edges of nib with finger, feels like I'm beginng to crush the feed.

I found Firefyter-Emt's site, didn't come across tool expecting to find

in the few clicks I did there.

No luck determining which Bernie referred to here,

none of the member names containing 'Bernie' appear to be currently active on FPN.

BTW, what is the Green Board that hseltzer and others have mentioned?

Collected ballpoints for decades, found FPN early June

after ordering Pilot BeGreen >70% post-consumer recycled content rollerballs.

Now have Parker Frontier, Pilot 78G, Pelikan M200, Rotring Core,

Reform 1745 from JJBlanche, Hero 616 & 257 from JDlugosz, Pilot Knight & Dux 612.

That sounds like a problem! I had this happen once and what I ended up doing was to tap the feed and nib out like a normal pen and then I used a tap to remove the collar.

As for the tool, its not something I have up on my website. My "shop" site is hosted on a .org server and free to me, but I can not sell stuff from there. I had my own site domain, but the cost to keep it up was not worth the "rent payments"

Here are the tools that I made for the clips, and one to hold a section on a lathe to turn down damage from pliers.

http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/29082.jpg

I have been known to make custom steel jewels that have been powder-coated as well.

http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/319081.jpg

I have even played around with the screw-in Estie jewels a little bit. These are very hard and require the use of a MIG welder and my metal lathe!

http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/84082.jpg

Then there have been some custom jewel work with other brands too, this one also needed a white strip band in the jewel. This one is all poly-resin, not steel.

http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/315083.jpg

Edited by Firefyter-Emt

My Website

Regards,

Gerry

[snip]

No luck determining which Bernie referred to here,

none of the member names containing 'Bernie' appear to be currently active on FPN.

Bernie is bernie - from Ottawa, Canada.

PM him and ask about the tools for removing the jewels. I've seen them - they're OK. Homemade and not expensive. I don't think they include an inner cap remover though - they might, but probably not.

He was looking in on the FPN on Aug 24th. He doesn't post often though.

If you can't contact him through the PM, try an email - if you PM me, I'll pass on his email address to you.

Regards,

Gerry