Handwriting improvement

caliken

Tipstiks,

your scrip is awesome - especially because it looks written and not printed which makes it look quite personal in my eyes!

Congratulation of your progress...

Zed

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CatBookMom

• caliken

• rogerb

• texaspenman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, sure, I'll be harsh critic..... after I recover from fainting here... What a absolutely gorgeous, totally awesome, pure elegant penmanship that is!. Now don't tell me you write like that at a normal speed.........

Caliken, is just beautiful.

Ondina

Thank you very much for the kind words.

This is how I write if I'm writing a letter. I'm not aware of going particularly slowly, but I do get pleasure from writing, both physically and mentally, so it's possible that I take longer than someone for whom writing is a chore.

I come from the generation who were taught that to send someone a scrappy, messy piece of writing, was to insult them, and the lesson has stuck. As a calligrapher by profession, I take pride in my work of necessity, and have no wish to let someone see my terrible writing, when taking notes rapidly. Some things are better left private.

caliken

Caliken, I understand completely, and get a bit frustrated when my snail-mails aren't as good as my 'best'....as you say it's courtesy to the recipient.

I find that, because of the advance of anno domini , and not having handwritten a lot for some years, my hand and brain get tired after a couple of pages!

[OT: It reminds me of some advice I was given about being brutal in weeding-out my 'bad' photographs "Only the refuse collector and you should see them!"....it is so much easier in these 'digital days' :) ]

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

Yes, super work Tipstiks :)

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/georges2/leftright.jpg

here is what I wrote with my right as well as my left hand. Remember I am not a natural born leftie but became a leftie after an accident I had when I was younger. I used a 1925 Parker Duofold Big Red Senior Single band flat top which is the best pen I found being used with the right or with the left hand. The nib on that pen is a fine semi flex nib.

Any comments are welcome.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

georges

If you get tired writing, you only have to switch hands!

Seriously, I think that this is good, legible writing with either hand and is a most impressive feat. I can't imagine how difficult it must be, to start over with the other hand. It is to your credit, that the writing seems equally good with both hands.

Thanks for posting.

caliken

Edited by caliken

A truly inpsiring post from all concerned - I feel there is hope for me yet....... I just have to put my mind to it.

So I'm opinionated - get over it!!.......No, really - get over it!!

Hmmmm I was going to put up a WANTS list - but that's too long as well ......

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Interesting thread! I really enjoyed reading about and seeing the improvement in handwriting. It gives me a lot of faith in that mine will continue to improve! :roflmho:

I had terrible handwriting about 4 years ago, so bad that even I couldn't read it at times!

2004 Sample

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/2004.jpg

In about early 2005, I chose to stop using my scrawl/cursive wanna-be and switch to print as the primary problem with my writing was its legibility. After much practice, voila, consistent, very legibile print.

2005 Sample

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/2005.jpg

Problem with this print was that it took far too long to write! The above sample would've taken me close to ten minutes to churn out! The snail's pace couldn't cut it when I went to university, so I began developing a faster but still legible style.

2006 Sample

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/2006.jpg

Although the writing isn't as pleasant to look at as my former print, it did allow me to keep up with the lecturer in class in terms of note taking. I've been working on this since then and I know there's still room for improvement (as always!) but I'm relatively happy with how far I've come.

2008 Sample

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/2008.jpg

Editted to add: Only the last sample was written with a fountain pen. Unlike so many on the boards, I really like using ballpoints every now and then and all previous samples were written using ballpoints. I have a very light hand with fountain pens but very hard with ballpoints. I love using fountain pens but I find my handwriting fluctuates from pen to pen whereas it's very consistent with ballpoints (nowadays at least! :D).

Edited by feiye

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

Interesting thread! I really enjoyed reading about and seeing the improvement in handwriting. It gives me a lot of faith in that mine will continue to improve! :roflmho:

I had terrible handwriting about 4 years ago, so bad that even I couldn't read it at times!

2004 Sample

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/2004.jpg

In about early 2005, I chose to stop using my scrawl/cursive wanna-be and switch to print as the primary problem with my writing was its legibility. After much practice, voila, consistent, very legibile print.

2005 Sample

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/2005.jpg

Problem with this print was that it took far too long to write! The above sample would've taken me close to ten minutes to churn out! The snail's pace couldn't cut it when I went to university, so I began developing a faster but still legible style.

2006 Sample

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/2006.jpg

Although the writing isn't as pleasant to look at as my former print, it did allow me to keep up with the lecturer in class in terms of note taking. I've been working on this since then and I know there's still room for improvement (as always!) but I'm relatively happy with how far I've come.

2008 Sample

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/souveran/2008.jpg

Editted to add: Only the last sample was written with a fountain pen. Unlike so many on the boards, I really like using ballpoints every now and then and all previous samples were written using ballpoints. I have a very light hand with fountain pens but very hard with ballpoints. I love using fountain pens but I find my handwriting fluctuates from pen to pen whereas it's very consistent with ballpoints (nowadays at least! :D).

feiye

Another great "before & after" example!

Your writing is now so much more attractive, and easier to read. Also, it's no surprise, that your fountain pen writing looks better than with a ballpoint!

My handwriting still needs improvement (tell me what and how much, please), but I think it has come leaps and bounds ahead since last year.

The "before" sample is from one of my journals that is in the process of being reposted. It was written with a Sheaffer Saratoga Snorkel with an M nib and Levenger's Raven Black ink. The paper is hard, spiral bound notebook paper.

post-3738-1217958747_thumb.jpg

post-3738-1217958783_thumb.jpg

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

nice writing improvement feive and paddler ;)

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

My handwriting still needs improvement (tell me what and how much, please), but I think it has come leaps and bounds ahead since last year.

The "before" sample is from one of my journals that is in the process of being reposted. It was written with a Sheaffer Saratoga Snorkel with an M nib and Levenger's Raven Black ink. The paper is hard, spiral bound notebook paper.

You must be delighted with the progress you've made in your handwriting - quite a change!

Once in a great while, my hand actually looks pretty (unlike the sample I just posted). However, I cannot tell in advance when this will happen; nor can I tell what I did to make it happen. One factor is that I have to really like the pen I am using. But even so, it is hit or miss. Maybe I should quit trying to analyze it, shut the heck up, and keep practicing. :eureka:

Thanks to your calligraphy samples, caliken, I can see that, at least for a few people, it is possible to develop a cool hand.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

• 2 weeks later...
what's your handwriting like caliken?

I have seen your amazing caligraphy work but not your normal hand..... ?? Do we get to see a shot?

Pontificating on the handwriting of others is all very well, but I knew that someday it was going to come back to bite me - and, guess what, the day has come!

OK here we go -

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Handwriting_edited-4.jpg

In your criticism, please be kind to an old man with a fragile ego!

caliken

WOW :headsmack: i can only wish that someday my handwriting will be one fifth as good as yours, even when i try. Beautiful. Brilliant.

Rohan

what's your handwriting like caliken?

I have seen your amazing caligraphy work but not your normal hand..... ?? Do we get to see a shot?

Pontificating on the handwriting of others is all very well, but I knew that someday it was going to come back to bite me - and, guess what, the day has come!

OK here we go -

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Handwriting_edited-4.jpg

In your criticism, please be kind to an old man with a fragile ego!

caliken

This is just the kind of handwriting I've been trying so hard to develop! It reminds me of the Renaissance and contemporary examples in Alfred Fairbank's A Handwriting Manual. Some qualities are hard to define, but at my lowly level of development the most difficult quality to acquire is the one that differentiates good handwriting from handwriting that's "trying" to be good. My handwriting tends to be either not good, or announce that it's trying too hard. But your hand has that magic ingredient.

I'm hoping focus, patience, and practice will serve me. I wish I could make as rapid progress as some here (Tipstricks! feiye!).

Anyway, caliken, thanks for starting this thread! It's both encouraging and discouraging... :P

Doug

Edited by HDoug

HDoug,

I think your handwriting is very nice as seen in the traveling journal--and, what's more, it already resembles Calikens!!!!

:) Ann

Thanks for the compliment, Doug.

As you know, I admire your handwriting and I value your judgement.

caliken

I'm hoping focus, patience, and practice will serve me. I wish I could make as rapid progress as some here (Tipstricks! feiye!).

Anyway, caliken, thanks for starting this thread! It's both encouraging and discouraging... :P

Doug

:embarrassed_smile: Thank you Doug, I think my handwriting's still a work in progress (it's been four years now!). I'm mainly working on consistency now. It's strange but my handwriting is very legible and neat enough with some pens I use and goes out the window with some others. I'm primarily working on keeping it neat and legible throughout, no matter what pen I use. This thread is has also provided a lot of inspiration for me :)

Caliken: your writing is absolutely enviable. What size italic nib do you normally use?

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

Thank you, feiye

I normally use a Pelikan M200 fitted with a Richard Binder 0.7mm cursive italic nib. This nib is a joy to use. (No affiliation - just a very satisfied customer)

Edited by caliken

I have some of my old diaries, written 50 and more years ago...must dig out some 'suitable, ie non-embarrassing' samples & scan them!

Perhaps that's for a separate thread, though.

Edited by rogerb

Don Marquis

• 2 years later...

I agree this is some inspiring stuff to see. I will soon add some of my own examples as well

“I put all my genius into my life; I put only my talent into my works.”- Oscar Wilde

50's Mont Blanc 144-G Med nib hopefully getting fixed soon, Parker 51 of undetermined age Med nib

Waterman 515, Lucky Curve Jr., Esterbrook SJ lost, Pilot Vanishing Point, Pelican m400, 3 Esties in the mail.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png