Conway Stewart Classic Green Duro

handlebar

I have noticed a few other Conway Stewart pens reviewed this week and wanted to get in mine as well.I have been looking for one for awhile and last week this beauty came up for sale.

As a collector of italian pens,i never planned on a British pen.But CS have always appealed to me and their colour schemes a delight to behold.

Now i have a Brit to keep my italians company.

Here is how it unwrapped:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/outer.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/inner.jpg

Weight/Size:4 out of 5

I find this pen of the perfect size for my hand.The weight is light i admit but balanced.It is 5-1/4" capped and 6-3/4" posted.

It is the lightest pen i have of this length.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/outer3.jpg

Appearance:5 out of 5

Wonderful colouring!! The classic green is made up of olive and lighter green specks.Very appealing.The Conway Stewart logo is very clear and this pen,although used,shows very little wear.The former owner is an FPN member and i would expect nothing less!!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/6.jpg

Filling system: 4 out of 5

This pen is a button filler,the first in my collection.I find it very easy to fill.The button is under the blind cap as shown in the photo.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/5.jpg

Nib performance: 5 out of 5

This nib came as a medium and the previous owner had it made into an XF italic. I have used her photo as i couldn't seem to get a great photo.A very smooth nib and no complaints here.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/csduro03.jpg

Cost/value: 4 out of 5

A good buy for me.I paid less than half of it's retail price and am happy about that.Now that i have scratched the Conway Stewart itch,i have a collection that makes me happy!!!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/DSC_0015.jpg

Great green colour as you see in this photo.Looks better in person.

Overall impressions are good,although i will admit i find such a light pen a bit daunting at the retail price.Seems a little overpriced to me.But then everything is overpriced these days!!

Jim

Vancouver,Washington

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• Carrie

• omasfan

• david6

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you're happy with your new Duro. I was surprised when Mary posted details of the Duro Heritage because it was lighter in weight than my ebonite one.

Jim, great review. I also own a Duro and I find it to be a delectable pen! Honestly, I think the lightness of the pen is its strength. It sits so wonderful in my hand that I could write with it for hours without fatigue. And yes, they are pricey. But look at the old-style Omas celluloids, they are of the same weight and cost even more. Ok, the Duro is no celluoloid, but at any rate I do not believe the weight of a pen to be the indicator of its rightful price. In turn, I despise those pens that scream weightiness at me with lots of heavy metal trim in order to justify their high price tag. With the CS Duro I also like that the trimwork (all the rings) are made of 18k gold. While I don't care if I have precious metal on my pen or not, it's nonetheless good to know that there will be no brassing ever.

Enjoy your CS!

Edited by omasfan

That is one very cool pen. I was wondering why I couldn't find it in my favorite shop. I might also a try a conway stewart 100 but with a piston filler. I know that this pen is bigger than the 100. Jim, does this pen equal in size the MB 149????

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

That is one very cool pen. I was wondering why I couldn't find it in my favorite shop. I might also a try a conway stewart 100 but with a piston filler. I know that this pen is bigger than the 100. Jim, does this pen equal in size the MB 149????

Not really sure if it is the same size.Not familiar enough with MB's. I really wanted a CS 100 but they never come up used and this is almost as good.

I also notice the Duro is no longer listed as in production from CS.Not sure if that is true but i'm happy with my new pen.

Jim

Nice review, I quite like the Duro, mine writes well but I am unsure of the filler I find the button a bit uncomfortable compared with vintage ones.

I am still unconvinced about the amount of ink the pen holds, the most I have been able to write with a fill is about 5 pages of A4 which doesn't seem like much to me, would be interested to see what you think after you have had a chance to use it for a while. This isn't really a huge issue as it means I get to use it without having to wait weeks for it to empty (unlike the Pelikan Level 5), but disappointing considering the retail price of the pen (I paid about £120 for mine but that is still a lot of money).

That aside the pen looks great (mine is Cherry Red), writes well the medium nib is a little finer than say a Duofold or Pelikan M, I love the pen (but not as much as my CS100), just the minor annoyance with the filler.

Anyway, I am sure you will enjoy your pen.

Andy

Thank you for a great review. I too, constantly toy with the idea of purchasing a CS...also to keep my Italians & P51's company. Your Duro is beautiful....maybe I need to step up the hunt.

thanks again!

Peter

Nice review, I quite like the Duro, mine writes well but I am unsure of the filler I find the button a bit uncomfortable compared with vintage ones.

I am still unconvinced about the amount of ink the pen holds, the most I have been able to write with a fill is about 5 pages of A4 which doesn't seem like much to me, would be interested to see what you think after you have had a chance to use it for a while. This isn't really a huge issue as it means I get to use it without having to wait weeks for it to empty (unlike the Pelikan Level 5), but disappointing considering the retail price of the pen (I paid about £120 for mine but that is still a lot of money).

That aside the pen looks great (mine is Cherry Red), writes well the medium nib is a little finer than say a Duofold or Pelikan M, I love the pen (but not as much as my CS100), just the minor annoyance with the filler.

Anyway, I am sure you will enjoy your pen.

Andy

Well so far,after the first fill,i penned 16 pages of quarto sized sheets with no refill needed.So it seems to be doing well with the button filler.I admit i had concerns about that as well.

I did have nib creep with some Noodlers and so i emptied it and put Stipula Muschiato in it.Works great!!!

Jim

Congratulations, Jim! I know you'll be happy with it.

Looks to me like it's asking to be filled with Montblanc Racing Green!

Currently Inked: Visconti Pericle EF : Aurora Black; Pilot VP-F (Gunmetal): X-Feather; Pilot VP-F (LE Orange): Kiowa Pecan; Lamy Safari EF: Legal Lapis

Wishlist (WTB/T) - Pelikan "San Francisco"

Congratulations, Jim! I know you'll be happy with it.

Looks to me like it's asking to be filled with Montblanc Racing Green!

Yes indeed! I have that lined up next.Then my own concoction of Herbin's Vert olive and Visconti black.

BTW,we need to see a review of your new Visconti, Mike.

Jim

• 3 years later...

Just purchased one of these in the Cherry Red colour and with a button filler. Have yet to find out how much ink it will take in, it didn't seem to hold very much. Need to give it a good test and see how many pages it will let me write.