#1 KCat

KCat

Ancient Artifact

• Admin Hon.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2008 - 23:26

Same disclaimers as on Ebony Green. Get it as is now, or get it better (and neater) weeks from now. tongue.gif

Attached Images

• prebonypurp2.jpg

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

#2 Taki

Taki

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 23:51

Ooooo! I will eventually have to try this. I wonder how it looks diluted. I don't really care for black ink, but this one looks like the one I might get smile.gif Thanks for the review!

#3 p-zero

p-zero

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 00:51

Thanks for the review, Kcat. I love purples & this one looks really nice. Have you compared it to the FPN tulipe noire?

#4 KCat

KCat

Ancient Artifact

• Admin Hon.

• 10,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:28

QUOTE(p-zero @ May 6 2008, 07:51 PM) View Post
Thanks for the review, Kcat. I love purples & this one looks really nice. Have you compared it to the FPN tulipe noire?

Bluer (and darker) than Tulipe Noire. I'll try to get a minute to do a side-by-side.

by the way, i found a page that was supposed to be in that last snail. headsmack.gif I bet you had fun trying to figure out the weird segue.

Edited by KCat, 07 May 2008 - 03:29.

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

#5 izlat

izlat

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:31

love it! also like your writing smile.gif

I think such an ink (traditional blue or black w/ a purple hue) can work very well for my purposes. I was looking at Aurora's Blue - is it in between these two that you used?

Thanks!
Ivo

#6 Taki

Taki

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,619 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:47

How does it compare to Black Magic Blue?

#7 RayMan

RayMan

Penathlete

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:09

Thanks for the review. I only recently became aware that there was such a thing as a blackish purple. Kind of a dark eggplant.
Regards,

Ray

#8 goldkiwi

goldkiwi

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:50

Oooh... I ordered this ink and am impatiently waiting its arrival! Unfortunately it may take a while... sad.gif
Posted Image Currently out of vials.my ink list

Ink of the moment: mix of Noodler's Lermontov, Britannia's Blue Waves, and Whiteness of the Whale

#9 Raynewolf

Raynewolf

Old Hippy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:29

Thank you VERY much, KCat!! Great review. It's been on my "wait and see" list but has definately moved to my "gotta have" list.

Spooky P.

#10 Inkanthropist

Inkanthropist

(FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:41

Thanks for the review, KCat. I like the look of this colour.

Neil
[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

#11 KCat

KCat

Ancient Artifact

• Admin Hon.

• 10,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2008 - 17:11

QUOTE(Taki @ May 6 2008, 10:47 PM) View Post
How does it compare to Black Magic Blue?

Definitely much more purple. Flow more controlled. I found BMB (a favorite) to be like Tanzanite in terms of flow. EP is more "restrained" but not stingy if that makes any sense. It flows well, but it doesn't spread.

I'd say it's a lot like Noodler's Purple Martin in hue, but condensed 5X smile.gif okay, that may be a slight exaggeration but it is that sort of dusky purple but sooo dark.
KCat

#12 Limerick

Limerick

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 20:49

KCat,

you have such a wonderful, beautiful wet stub writer! I'm totally envious! If I just had such a pen ... I wouldn't bother which ink has which flow issues! Thank you for the great review - I enjoyed it a lot. It's really an amazing new colour - and thank you so mich for doing a review so short after the release!

#13 KCat

KCat

Ancient Artifact

• Admin Hon.

• 10,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2008 - 20:58

QUOTE(Limerick @ May 7 2008, 03:49 PM) View Post
KCat,

you have such a wonderful, beautiful wet stub writer! I'm totally envious! If I just had such a pen ... I wouldn't bother which ink has which flow issues! Thank you for the great review - I enjoyed it a lot. It's really an amazing new colour - and thank you so mich for doing a review so short after the release!

This was a Levenger Verona that suffered from feed starvation (Stipula problem for a few years that I believe has been resolved with newer models) - I sent it to Mr. Binder for help. He fixed the flow problem - very well. smile.gif I had it stubbed to suit my hand but with my personal preference of a slightly "sharp" stub. Not as soft on the corners as a typical Binder stub, not as sharp as a cursive italic.

Now if I could just get back to decent handwriting, I could do some justice to the pen. The result is a smooth stub that has a bit more definition and variation than most.
KCat

#14 ASR

ASR

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:06

Great review, thanks. That's a color I am looking for although I have had some problems with nib creep and Private Reserve (especially Black Magic Blue). What are your thoughts?

#15 KCat

KCat

Ancient Artifact

• Admin Hon.

• 10,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:08

didn't notice any nib creep on this one. Also must say both colors dried quite quickly on the page considering how dark they are. But no feathering either.
KCat

#16 sumgaikid

sumgaikid

Don't mess with the kitteh......

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:17

Great review and great handwriting,Kcat! I'll have to consider PR Ebony Purple along with getting Noodler's Purple Martin!

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

#17 tuxedobay

tuxedobay

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 21:50

[quote name='KCat' date='May 6 2008, 04:26 PM' post='602940']
Same disclaimers as on Ebony Green. Get it as is now, or get it better (and neater) weeks from now. tongue.gif

Great review! I'm not knowledgeable enough to get into technical details, but I can tell you that I recently acquired PR Ebony Purple, and it is the one I have been looking for. Now my favorite.

I like Waterman Purple, keep it in one pen, PR Lake Placid Blue in another, and Noodler's Nightshade in yet another. PR EP gives me what I thought Noodler's would; the Noodler's is a little too "charcoal grey," don't really see the purple in it.

Of course, you can't trust me - I'm partially colorblind unless the light is real good. Maybe that is why I need the strong colors. See how I am?

At any rate, thanks again for the confirmation.

Ken

#18 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• 2,057 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:41

Thanks for the review. I really like this ink. I will have to put it on my list.
Cathy
target="_blank">Facebook

"Write on!"
Posted Image

#19 DilettanteG

DilettanteG

Harmless Dilettante

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:50

Thanks for posting samples of this is in broad-wet and fine-dry nibs. I can't believe what a difference that makes. Very clever and most helpful!

#20 Viseguy

Viseguy

NYC

• Member - Gold

• 1,761 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:26

Looks like PR's answer to Noodler's Purple Wampum.
Viseguy

#21 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• 6,500 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:35

Just picked up some of this today. It looks niiiice.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#22 SteadyHand

SteadyHand

1 of 1 Limited Edition

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 16:54

Thank you for your review. Im going to Art Brown today to pick up notebooks and this ink.
Pelikan:M205 DemoLamy:2000,Safari,Al-Star,1.1 JoyPilot:3-78G's:B, M, F
Parker:51"Special"Stipula:Ventidue(new version)Rotring 600Sheafer:Snorkel

#23 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• 5,056 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:41

Could someone please comment on the drying time and smearing of this ink, preferably comparing it to one or more common Waterman or Diamine ink(s)?
TIA, Michael
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#24 KCat

KCat

Ancient Artifact

• Admin Hon.

• 10,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2008 - 18:32

i haven't smear tested this one but IMO both the Ebony Purple and Ebony Green dry surprisingly fast for such dark inks. It's not "Swisher's fast dry" fast, but faster than most of my PR inks. If I have a chance this afternoon I'll get something a little less vague for you. smile.gif
KCat

#25 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• 1,867 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 19:27

I just happened to have ebony purple in a fine point waterman L'etalon. I think most people would call this a fine nib with moderate flow leaning perhaps toward the dry side.

On Cheap Staples Photocopy paper:

I wrote the word MAYBE and ran my finger across it. The final E smeared a tad.

I wrote the word MAYBE and ran my finger across it after counting to three and there is just the briefest hint of a smear at the end of the E.

I do not know how it would work in a medium nib. I did have it originally in a medium nib that was a little on the wet side and while I do not remember the smearing I do remember that the color seemd almost black, whereas in the Fine nib the purple black color is easier to see. I was going to get rid of the ink until I tried it in a Fine nib.

Sorry my smear testing is not more scientific, but it does not seem overly smeary to me. j