Sheaffer Snorkel Crest-review

goodguy

I looked in the past reviews and saw that Sheaffer Snorkel didn’t get too much attention to my surprise.

Since Sheaffer Snorkel is such an important pen for me and the biggest part of my collection I thought that it would be nice to write a review on this pen.

I decided to write the review on the top model produced the “Crest” with a black body and of course its GF cap. I know there were more expensive models like the solid gold models but these were upscale models that were mechanically identical to the Crest and I don’t own them anyways.

I find the Snorkel design to be very functional. It’s obvious to me that Sheaffer didn’t want to make this pen flashy but to keep it simple and ergonomic.

To me this design is a part of the charm of the pen. These were times that you didn’t design pens to looks flashy but rather to be used everyday as a tool and not a fashion statement.

The nib is the classic Triumph 14K gold nib. It is either F or XF nib and has this unique feature of the Triumph nib that little bent at the tip.

The most unique feature of the Snorkel pen is of course its filling mechanism. The Snorkel is called the most complex filling mechanism ever designed on a pen but it is surprisingly reliable and easy to use. The biggest benefit of this filling mechanism is the little tube that sticks out from the feed when you fill the pen. There is no need to wipe the nib since the nib never touches the ink when you fill the pen.

To fill the pen you unscrew the bottom and the tube in the feed will come out then you pull the bottom out all the way and pushes it quickly in while the tube is immersed in the ink thus sucking the ink into the sack inside the barrel. The only drawback of this system is that it doesn’t hold as much ink as a piston filler but it is more then sufficient for everyday use.

This Triumph nib is a very stiff nib and it feels almost like a nail. It produces a nice wet line and in this thickness it also gives a nice feedback from the paper. I have also a Snorkel with a Stub nib and I must admit I don’t like the Stub Triumph nib so much as it feels completely unconnected to the paper.

The nib is as expected smooth and reminds me a bit a Japanese nib.

The pen is quit thin and not too long when you compare it to modern pens but it feels very comfortable in the hand. It is light weight and nicely balanced. So even though I use much bigger pens and thicker ones this pen feels comfortable and natural in the hand and for me this is yet another proof that Sheaffer designed this pen to be comfortable for people with big or small hands.

You can get these pens easily of eBay for as little as 30$-50$ and it will cost you about 20$-40$ to restore them. I think it’s a great bargain for such a wonderful pen. You get a 50 years old vintage pen that looks completely modern and is very reliable, wonderful to use and the filling mechanism is always a pleasure and fun to use.

post-2027-1208574194_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1208574210_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1208574233_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1208574249_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1208574266_thumb.jpg

Respect to all

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• DRP

• michael_s

• Ondina

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice collection of snorkels. I like snorkel fillers, too. My favorite is the fat snorkel, the PFM.

Nice collection of Snorkels :) I have just a couple, including a Crest, and they're neat to fill and write great.

To fill the pen you unscrew the bottom and the tube in the feed will come out then you pull the bottom out all the way and pushes it quickly in while the tube is immersed in the ink thus sucking the ink into the sack inside the barrel.

For those readers new to Snorkels, remember not to submerge the snorkel tube while extending the Touchdown tube at the end of the barrel. So extend the tube, then submerge the snorkel, and push down the tube and count to 10. Then withdraw from ink.

-Mike

Nice review! I had done a handwritten review of the same Black Snorkel Crest about a month ago. I went to go scan it, got sidetracked, and LOST the paper! :headsmack:

The Snorkel Crest is easily my favorite pen in my small collection of 8 pens.

• 2 weeks later...
The Snorkel Crest is easily my favorite pen in my small collection of 8 pens.

What colours have you got ?

Respect to all

Awesome. The TM Snorkel is one of my favorites. I have a stub, but it gives a bit of nice feedback (yours seems not to).

I carry a Sentinel most of the time. :)

"Can I see Arcturus from where I stand?" -RPW

Goodguy, nice review. Knowing (from your other posts) of your taste for the larger pens, you really should try the PFM. The top of the range model at the time, snorkel filled and with the inlaid nib. I think you'd like them. Certainly for me, my recently acquired PFM III is rapidly becoming my favourite writer.

Cheers... G

... well cover me in custard an' call me a trifle...

(THIS SPACE FOR RENT...)

Goodguy, nice review. Knowing (from your other posts) of your taste for the larger pens, you really should try the PFM. The top of the range model at the time, snorkel filled and with the inlaid nib. I think you'd like them. Certainly for me, my recently acquired PFM III is rapidly becoming my favourite writer.

Cheers... G

I actualy used to own the PFM mark V.

It was an EXCELLENT pen.It fit my hands great and the inlaid nib was almost as good as my favorite inlaid nib (Targa).

So why did I sell it ?

Simply I am first a collector and the PFM is Sooo expensive to collect and as a collection theme I actualy like the Snorkel better so I decided to sell it and use the money in a more constructive way (buy a pen I collect).

If I ever win the lottery I will concider collecting the PFM.

Respect to all

Oo, sweet collection, goodguy.

I have a Snorkel Crest like the one you've singled out, and it's one of my favorite pens. Hooray!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• 2 years later...

Oo, sweet collection, goodguy.

I have a Snorkel Crest like the one you've singled out, and it's one of my favorite pens. Hooray!

Well thats my second collection after my beloved WE's

Respect to all

• 3 months later...

I just inked up my long-neglected Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman with Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuyu-Kusa, and wow! I am really enjoying this pen all over again.

What a beautiful pen! Thanks for the review.

Parker VS (rust)

Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)

Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)

Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)