4 replies to this topic

#1 all my hues

all my hues

Our Lady of Shadows

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 20:52

I recently came across the chance to purchase the Cross Radiance (fine nib) at a very appealing price; I know that it was discontinued, but does anybody know what kind of a writer it is or why it was discontinued?

Thanks!

#2 mercy

mercy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:46

QUOTE(all my hues @ Mar 26 2008, 08:52 PM) View Post
I recently came across the chance to purchase the Cross Radiance (fine nib) at a very appealing price; I know that it was discontinued, but does anybody know what kind of a writer it is or why it was discontinued?

Thanks!

Id like to get one too if your source has more than the one you want. Please reply.
John

#3 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 13:36

If I am correct that the Radiance is like the Solo, then the Radiance should be a very good writer. I have three Solos, all are smooth. The nibs are firm and produce lines that are a little on the thin side of their marking. I bought mine years ago at Staples for about $22 each. Very good deal, IMO.

Someone correct me if I am incorrect, but I think the Radiance is pretty much like the Solo.

Mercy, you might want to check around for a Pilot 78G, which seems to be much like the Solo in that it is inexpensive, screw on cap, average sized pen, steel nib that is very smooth and produces a line that is on the thin side of its marking. I imagine someone has reviewed the 78G here on FPN.

j

#4 Pengrump

Pengrump

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:43

I have a Radiance. It was one of the first pens I bought, when the pen bug bit me. My Cross Radiance has a very smooth medium nib. It's a comfortable pen. It looks pretty good with a blue marbled finish I've never had any trouble with it. I am quite attached to it still, some eleven years after I bought it. If I saw another one, I'd buy it in a minute, maybe in green this time with a fine or a broad nib.

#5 FPUZR

FPUZR

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:00

The Cross Radiance was indeed the same as the Cross Solo Pen. The Solo was available in solid colors with Black Trim and Chrome Trim. The Solo Classic had Gold Trim. The Radiance has (usually) Gold Trim with the nice Pilot nib that was on all of the Solo FP's. The Radiance was available in basic, Blue, Red, Green with a marble-like finish. They were great sellers in their day too. Nice pens, alway work, nice weight.

DMac