7 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce-YVR

Bruce-YVR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 23:14

Hi all... can you tell me what FP can the Parker Duofold International size compare to? Is it the same size as the Pelikan M805? I had a M805 and I think the size is a bit to big for me.
TIA
Bruce

#2 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 19:16

Bruce, I note that no one has yet responded to your question so I will try to help out. I think the Duofold Centennial equates nicely to the Pelikan M-800 in length and diameter, and the nibs are also about the same size. If you like an M-800 you will most likely find the Centennial to be a vrey comfortable fit.

The Duofold International has about the same pength as the M-600, but is closer to the M-400 in barrel and cap diameter. The International and M-600 nibs are about the same size. If you like a pen the size of an M-600, the International might do, but the difference in diameter is very noticeable to me. I tend to think of the International as an M-400 size pen with an M-600 size nib.

I hope this information is helpful.

#3 Bruce-YVR

Bruce-YVR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:55

Thanks very much!! I am getting a Duofold Platinum FP and Ballpoint. I love the look. Its just so classic and classy! I understand that they only come in International size for the Duofold platinum model. I liked my m805 very much and I think I will like the Duofold !!

#4 grasshopper

grasshopper

octanium

• Admin Hon.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:47

Hi Bruce,

I've only managed to read this thread so I'm not sure if my post will be of anymore use to you.

I have both the M805 and the Platinum Duofold (which only comes in the International size, unfortunately - for me too).

Before I continue, I concur with everything that FrankB (above) says, from my experience.

I fully agree with you on the classiness of this Duofold which I'm hoping Parker will eventually make in the Centennial size (I have a soft spot for black and silver/chrome/platinum finishes). However, I found the International dimensions to be somehow uncomfortable for me. I found the combination of the shape of the pen (the section is juuuust a bit too thin for me - as wide as an M200's section would have been perfect for me) and it's weight (quite hefty for its size, I feel) just did not work for my hands - I get cramps before I even finish writing a page. The nib however is quite magnificent. Super smooth, the fine nib that I have is almost as broad as the Pelikan's fine, so it's an acceptable width for my handwriting.

The M805 is more comfortable for me between the two - I have yet to try a Centennial for a decent length of time i.e. other than trying one at a shop. But it is indeed bigger in size than the Platinum Duofold. However, if I remember correctly, I found that in terms of weight, I couldn't really tell either apart. No doubt, you would assume that the M805 is heavier (and I'm sure it probably is) but I can't confirm this as I don't have a suitable weight scale.

I hope the Duofold works out for you, and if it does, I'll be jealous. ;) I was really hoping that it would feel right for me. Oh well, I'll just keep praying for a platinum Centennial then.
You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

#5 Bruce-YVR

Bruce-YVR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 14:18

Thanks very much!!

#6 TMann

TMann

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 21:11

Bruce,

Here are a couple of photos that might be helpful. They are of my Parker Duofold International and my Pelikan m605.

Capped and uncapped:

Posted Image

And posted, (note that the Parker's cap sits much higher than the Pel's):

Posted Image

They are similar in weight, though the Parker feels slightly heavier, particularly when posted. In regards to width, the Parker is slightly narrower at the section. I pulled out the ol' calipers and measured the sections of the two pens. At the narrowest point, the Parker is about 9 mm in diameter, while the Pelikan is almost 10 mm. The Parker has a slightly longer "gripping surface", i.e. the threads are up higher. The Pelikan gets wider quicker, so if you are someone who grips the pen up higher on the section, the Pelikan will feel even wider, compared to the Parker.

Hope that was helpful. I'm a small-handed guy, so I'm very comfortable with both of those pens.

Have fun with your new acquisition. :D

TMann

Edited by TMann, 09 December 2005 - 21:19.

#7 Stylo

Stylo

Polisson

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 21:40

Very nice post, TMann. One thing I prefer about the Duofold here is the design of the grip, which you also mentioned. The grip section is far longer, and if you grip even higher, as I sometimes do on my Centennial, the threads are very smooth and non-irritating at all, whereas the Pelikan's seems sharper and dig more into your skin. I think the 800 series sits somewhere between the International and the Centennial, but closer to the Centennial (per your diameter measurements).

The very short grip section design is my only objection to Pelikan pens, but it is a very big one. It is also the actual reason why the M200 feels awkward and small in so many hands, when in reality it is not that tiny of a pen. This is a shame, as Pelikans are otherwise great pens. Pelikan should redesign their pens to put the threads above the ink window. It should also make the threads less sharp. Parkers, Sheaffers, and Watermans usually don't have this problem. I don't understand why so many modern manufacturers insist on putting deep steps or sharp threads so low in the grip section.

#8 TMann

TMann

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 22:18

I don't understand why so many modern manufacturers insist on putting deep steps or sharp threads so low in the grip section.

I would guess that the typical person who is used to writing with a ballpoint pen or pencil, probably grips their pen down pretty low, as opposed to the typical fountain pen user, who grips their pen up higher.

Just a guess...

TMann