Omas Arco

asexton

I have been reading a lot of information about the Omas Arco fountain pen. Although it is not immediately in my future, I am considering buying one. When I do decide to buy one, should I buy the new style or should I spend the extra time trying to find one of the old style Arco's? I just wanted to get people's reactions about the differences between the two styles and see which one may be my best bet. Also, just to put it up front, I am leaning towards the old style because the Greek key on the bands is much more elegant than the Omas logo. It may be superficial, so that is why I am seeking more information.

Thanks,

Cody

Acme The Simpsons Rollerballs

Chatterly Pens Romulus - Stub

Classic Pens LM1 - Flame Red - Stub

Krone Boulder - Thunderbird - B

Levenger True Writer - Gold Obsidian - F

Namiki/Pilot VP - Yellow - M

Omas Paragon - Arco old style

Pelikan M250 - Demonstrator - M

Stipula Etruria - Cracked Ice Gaudi - 1.1 Italic

Visconti Divine Proportion - Silver trim - M

Visconti Opera Club - Typhoon Blue - M

Visconti Ripple - Blue Silver - M

Grail pen:

Dragon Studios - Jules

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asexton

• CharlieB

• omasfan

• gylyf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been reading a lot of information about the Omas Arco fountain pen. Although it is not immediately in my future, I am considering buying one. When I do decide to buy one, should I buy the new style or should I spend the extra time trying to find one of the old style Arco's? I just wanted to get people's reactions about the differences between the two styles and see which one may be my best bet. Also, just to put it up front, I am leaning towards the old style because the Greek key on the bands is much more elegant than the Omas logo. It may be superficial, so that is why I am seeking more information.

Thanks,

Cody

I took a look at the new style paragon at Art Brown a little while ago and I wasn't impressed. The nib is too small for the pen, the metal section looked out of place and made the pen feel heavy in the front. Also the grain on the different parts of the pen, ie cap and piston knob, didn't match up which made it look odd. Of course that is all just my opinion based on a brief inspection. It was enough to turn me off to the pen, when previously I had desired it. I haven't seen the old style.

-------Michael

Michael:

The new Paragon is a much bigger pen than the old. Even the new Milord is slightly larger, but it lacks the metal front section and retains the overall charm of its predecessor.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Michael:

The new Paragon is a much bigger pen than the old. Even the new Milord is slightly larger, but it lacks the metal front section and retains the overall charm of its predecessor.

Interesting. I didn't get a chance to see the new milord at Art Brown. Maybe next time they will have it, or at the pen fair that they hold.

------Michael

The Omas Paragon Arco had been one of my "must have" pens for a while now. I finally got the chance to take a close look at both the new and old style Paragon Arcos at the LA Pen Show, and I wound up going with the old style. I wasn't too thrilled about the metal section on the new Paragons, and I think the older Omas pens are just better made IMHO (I also have an old style black resin Paragon which is a delightful writer). The fit and finish seemed to a bit cleaner and more refined compared to the new Arco, and I think the old style Paragon adds a little something extra. Even though it is smaller in comparison to the new Paragon Arco (about the same size as the new Milord), I am really enjoying my old style Paragon Arco.

The old style Omas pens altogether are better in my book. Same with Visconti.... To me, the only Italian pen brand that continues to produce and design "traditional" Italian pens is Stipula. But that's a different topic altogether, yea? To answer your specific question, if you can find the old style Omas Arco, it's worth the wait.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

I have a new bronze arco milord and an old style bronze arco paragon. They are both great pens. And they are both beautiful. You have to be careful with old and new Arcos because sometimes the cap, barrel, and blind cap do not line up in pattern. You have to ask the seller if you cannot see the pen in person.

As an owner of three old style Paragons and Milords,i prefer the pre-2005 most definitely!!! I also own a new Arco Milord which is quite a stunning pen as well.But the metal on the new Paragon is just ugly to me. Give me celluloid!!!!

In all truthfulness,i think the greek keys make the older pens so much more stylish and classic. Buy them while you can.They are going fast.

Jim

I can only speak to the new Paragon's aesthetics, as I've never handled one, but the metal section (in the case of the Paragon) and the trim ring (in the case of the Milord) really turn me off. I can, however, speak to the old Paragon's quality, and it's a wonderful pen: classic shape, celluloid section, lovely nib. The old style would be my choice as well. Best,

David

I think the new style black resin Paragon is a very nice pen. But.... in my humble opinion, Omas should have introduced this pen IN ADDITION TO, rather than IN PLACE OF, the old style black resin Paragon. They should have skipped the new Milord and retained the old style Paragon as their medium sized pen.

In the case of the Arco Brown, the new style pens are just plain second rate compared to the old style.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far! I think my initial impressions of the old style seemed correct. In the same line of thought, do any of you own/have knowledge about the other colors that were a part of the old style collection. I believe there was a green arco, a blue, a grey, a red, and maybe another color or two. Do you all have any comments about those pens, especially the blue one? I know that the brown arco is beautiful, but I also love blue pens.

Thanks,

Cody

Acme The Simpsons Rollerballs

Chatterly Pens Romulus - Stub

Classic Pens LM1 - Flame Red - Stub

Krone Boulder - Thunderbird - B

Levenger True Writer - Gold Obsidian - F

Namiki/Pilot VP - Yellow - M

Omas Paragon - Arco old style

Pelikan M250 - Demonstrator - M

Stipula Etruria - Cracked Ice Gaudi - 1.1 Italic

Visconti Divine Proportion - Silver trim - M

Visconti Opera Club - Typhoon Blue - M

Visconti Ripple - Blue Silver - M

Grail pen:

Dragon Studios - Jules

When Omas closed out their production of the old style Paragons, they put together a special box of the seven celluloid colors. It sells for a mighty stiff price, but, if you have the money, it would be a great addition to a collection of Italian pens. I believe John Mottishaw and Airline International have descriptions of this box on their websites.

The colors, as best I remember, are:

-- Arco Brown

-- Arco Green

-- Blue Royale

-- Grey

-- Saft Green

-- Crimson (or Scarlet)

-- and one other

The Blue Royale is my personal favorite. Of course, I love the color blue! Omas subsequently used this color on the 360 and the Bologna.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

When Omas closed out their production of the old style Paragons, they put together a special box of the seven celluloid colors. It sells for a mighty stiff price, but, if you have the money, it would be a great addition to a collection of Italian pens. I believe John Mottishaw and Airline International have descriptions of this box on their websites.

The colors, as best I remember, are:

-- Arco Brown

-- Arco Green

-- Blue Royale

-- Grey

-- Saft Green

-- Crimson (or Scarlet)

-- and one other

The Blue Royale is my personal favorite. Of course, I love the color blue! Omas subsequently used this color on the 360 and the Bologna.

The seventh is the elusive and gorgeous Saffron Blue. I love the Blue Royale as well, but have to go with the aforementioned Saffron as my favorite. Regards,

David

Edited by cellulophile

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far! I think my initial impressions of the old style seemed correct. In the same line of thought, do any of you own/have knowledge about the other colors that were a part of the old style collection. I believe there was a green arco, a blue, a grey, a red, and maybe another color or two. Do you all have any comments about those pens, especially the blue one? I know that the brown arco is beautiful, but I also love blue pens.

Thanks,

Cody

My understanding is that in addition to the brown arco, the other colors in the Omas Celluloid collection are blue royale, saffron blue, scarlet, pearl gray, saft green, and arctic green. They are supposed to be very difficult to find and very expensive.

In own all three (the old paragon arco, new milrod arco, and the new large arco) and I must say that I like the old arco best. It just looks better and writes better than the new ones. Of the two new models, I have had nothing but problems with the milrod (my favorite looking and size of the new two) from leaking nib, loose cap ring, and piston failure and both came back with caps that when tightened the facets did not line up. I am going to send this one back directly to Italy, as the very least they could do is find a cap that fits the pen properly. This pen has been to Italy three times, all because the folks at Omas are too, shall we say, limited in customer service concepts to allow a straight exchange. I've spend thousands on their pens and yet they want me to keep paying this pen's trip to its homeland for bi-monthly visits.

"Giving power and money to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

P.J. O'Rourke

do any of you own/have knowledge about the other colors that were a part of the old style collection. Do you all have any comments about those pens, especially the blue one? I know that the brown arco is beautiful, but I also love blue pens.

Cody, I am using the royal blue Omas right now. It is a wonderful color, deep and saturated.

For a closer look at all the Omas Paragons, I shall refer you to my very own review. Just click on this link:

Omas Paragon Review

post-3164-1191546950.jpg

OK, Wolfgang... Now you're just showing off... ;)

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

Hey Wolfgang! Can you post a similar photo of your Dupont pens? :)

(CharlieB and Wolfgang share a common fondness for both Dupont and Omas.)

CharlieB

Hey Wolfgang! Can you post a similar photo of your Dupont pens? :)

(CharlieB and Wolfgang share a common fondness for both Dupont and Omas.)

Charlie, I only own one Dupont pen. :roflmho: Therefore, the group photo would be a disappointment for you.

By the by, it is a Vertigo II.