Pelikan Concerto

Pen Executive

Does anyone here have this pen? Do you like it?

I'm thinking about buying it. It's a lot better looking than many other Pelikan L.E.s and I especially like the dark blue colour.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pelikanyo

• Pen Executive

• George Drummond

• Kalessin

The concerto is a nice looking pen! Apparently, the barrel art is done by the same people as for the Toledo pens. Internally, the pen should be the same as any of the other piston-filling Souveran line.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

I find with both the Concerto and the Hunting, the enamel on the binde does dull and almost soften with day-to-day use.

If it's going to be a daily writer, you need to wipe it every night.

Just my experience with these pieces.

Regards,

Pelikanyo Paul

Edited by Pelikanyo

"Today is, where your book begins...the rest is still unwritten"

-Natasha Bedingfield

I've had a Concerto for a while but only just obtained a Hunting. I was a little disappointed with the Concerto's appearance when I got it - the artwork seems a little "muddy" to me. The Hunting, on the other hand, looks even better than I imagined it would.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

I have a Concerto, and I love it. The extra weight on the barrel makes it so much nicer to handle than a regular plastic barrel M800 pen. And, of course, it is beautiful to look at.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

I've had a Concerto for a while but only just obtained a Hunting. I was a little disappointed with the Concerto's appearance when I got it - the artwork seems a little "muddy" to me. The Hunting, on the other hand, looks even better than I imagined it would.

The Concerto release was delayed a long time as they got the enameling right.

I agree, the Hunting has better detail.

-Natasha Bedingfield

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about buying it. It's a lot better looking than many other Pelikan L.E.s and I especially like the dark blue colour.

If you are still thinking of buying it, I have just listed a brand new Pelikan Concerto on Ebay (no. 2347/4000). The opening bid is $500.00 with a BUY IT NOW of $585. The auction no. is 190215668784

The Concerto release was delayed a long time as they got the enameling right.

I agree, the Hunting has better detail.

The Hunting might have slightly better detail, but the Concerto is certainly a more beautiful pen. And I have a lot more interest in music than in hunting. :)

I find with both the Concerto and the Hunting, the enamel on the binde does dull and almost soften with day-to-day use.

Regards,

Pelikanyo Paul

These are collector's pens, they are not designed as 'daily writers'. For a daily writer you can use a standard M800.

Regards,

Pelikanyo Paul

These are collector's pens, they are not designed as 'daily writers'. For a daily writer you can use a standard M800.

IMHO, ALL Pelikans are made to be daily writers. :unsure:

-Natasha Bedingfield

• 3 months later...

Regards,

Pelikanyo Paul

IMHO, ALL Pelikans are made to be daily writers. :unsure:

Can't agree more! Pens are meant to be used, and using a uniquely beautiful pen adds to the pleasure of writing.

Bump up this older thread cos I just managed to obtain a Concerto. This has become one of my holy grail pen since I first saw it somewhere. I also saw the hunting, which I like, mostly for its rather unique green color. But the Concerto beats it in a subtle way - the deep dark blue color is even more enchanting than the green, and the Toledo on the Concerto is very, very unique. For the hunting, it really doesn't look all that different from other regular Toledo. But the Concerto pattern is more easily recognizable and is fairly distinct, which appeal instantly. The balance between enamel and silver parts strike a perfect balance with no one outweighing the other. And the extra heft of the silver makes it a better balanced writer than a regular M800 IMHO.

Current lineup:

Pelikan: 1935 Lapis Blue LE, Concerto LE

Waterman: Harmonie

Mont Blanc: Karajan SE

Pilot/Namiki: VP Raden

Delta: Indigenious People - Maasai LE

Stipula: Pinocchio (Candy White) with titanium nib

Visconti: Van Gogh (Ocean Blue) midi

Omas: 620 demonstrator (black)

Sailor: Professional Gear (Kanreki Edition)

Hero: unknown FP

Wish List:

Montegrappa: Symphony (yellow)

Omas: 360, Unicef

etc.

I bought a Concerto several years ago simply because I like music, blue is my favorite color and this was a beautiful pen that I had first seen in the flesh in Freiburg, Germany. I just inked it for the first time this week. I even had the temerity to take it to work. A co-worker who is used to the fact that I carry fountain pens and doesn't pay that much attention to them any more, remarked that it was a beautiful pen. Hope you enjoy your Concerto as much as I am enjoying mine!

i got two of the concerto thinking of releasing it. Prices: US 750. would prefer to have bank transfer be sending by singapore post not ems.