Aurora 88 Vintage late 40s

antoniosz

A quick review of this rather important vintage italian pen.

Some details that I missed in the handwritten review - the cap is gold-filled and has a "silver" "button" on the top (like a Parker 51 jewel). The "first year" model has a hard rubber and bears a serial number.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/azavalia/aurora88-1.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antoniosz

• tryphon

• Karin

• Marco Polo Pen Company

Thanks Antonios,

I have an 88 K that was also fixed up by Gio. Time to put it back into my rotation.

I find my Aurora more rewarding than the Parker 51`s and I love the piston filler.

Karin :D

Fountain Pen Abundance

AZ:

I agree that the vintage 88s are great pens.

I'm curious about the statement not to keep the piston fully extended when in use.

Are you trying to avoid leaking?

MarkVB

Thank you very much for the review and beautiful handwriting. I too am curious about the statement concerning the piston. Is this when filling the pen, or when it's in actual use? Be well,

David

• 3 months later...
AZ:

I'm curious about the statement not to keep the piston fully extended when in use.

MarkVB

Mark, it took me few months to answer :) Sorry.

Yes, this was the advise of Giovanni (I hope I got it right).

He said to keep the piston slightly away from the full extended position.

I am sure he will correct me if I misunderstood.

AZ:

MarkVB

Mark, it took me few months to answer :) Sorry.

Yes, this was the advise of Giovanni (I hope I got it right).

He said to keep the piston slightly away from the full extended position.

I am sure he will correct me if I misunderstood.

Piston fill Auroras have a slightly tapering ink chamber. The piston gets tighter as it reaches the upper part of the barrel. This ensures a tight seal after the piston starts wearing down. In a vintage pen, IF THE ORIGINAL SEAL IS STILL IN USE, it is best not to stow the seal in this tighter portion of the barrel, since it will accelerate its wear. When I replace the piston seal, I use a polymer that is flexible enough to obviate the potential problem.

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

I have an 88P which is a really nice pen and at some point I want the first generation 88 with the Nikargenta cap.

Bill

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

http://www.parkvillepen.com/images/pentrace/aurora88k.jpg

Here's my Aurora 88K, the second version of the venerable 88. This one is an extremely nice writer and is currently in use with vintage Quink Permanent Royal Blue.

This pen has a numbered section and the section looks (and smells) like hard rubber. If it's not, Giovanni can set me straight.

If you read Pentrace, you saw what happened to my nikargenta 88 yesterday (Ouch!). Today it headed to Florida for care by Dr. Giovanni.

The 88 is a classic pen that should be in your collection.

Dennis B

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.parkvillepen.com/images/pentrace/aurora88k.jpg

Here's my Aurora 88K, the second version of the venerable 88. This one is an extremely nice writer and is currently in use with vintage Quink Permanent Royal Blue.

This pen has a numbered section and the section looks (and smells) like hard rubber. If it's not, Giovanni can set me straight.

If you read Pentrace, you saw what happened to my nikargenta 88 yesterday (Ouch!). Today it headed to Florida for care by Dr. Giovanni.

The 88 is a classic pen that should be in your collection.

Dennis B

Dennis, your 88K is beautiful!

I also like the later 88P, shown in my picture. The nibs on the P version are not flexible, but the P is the most reliable version of all the 88s and makes an outstanding writer.

http://www.tryphon.it/service/A88pbox.JPG

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

• 6 years later...