Noodler's Tiananmen

Bryan

At least on my screen, this appear to be more red then in person. It does lean on the red side, but in some lighting can appear brown.

Bryan

You can take a closer look here.

http://static.flickr.com/28/61767493_bcaa5f73cc.jpg

Edited by Bryan
http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Melnicki

• TMLee

• Sirvinya

• Dave Johannsen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least on my screen, this appear to be more red then in person. It does lean on the red side, but in some lighting can appear brown.

Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/28/61767493_bcaa5f73cc.jpg

Thanks for another look at an interesting ink. Any idea how it compares with Noodlers Red-Black?

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Nice, Bryan! :D

I think Nathan had blood in mind with both Tiananmen and Antietem, and one would imagine more dirt mixed in with the Antietem. ;)

BTW, I always thought it was spelled Antietem, but Nathan spells it Antietam. A quick google through some history finds various authors spelling it both ways! Somebody has to reign in this crazy english language. :lol:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

• 3 months later...

I just received this ink yesterday. First of all, it wasn't as "bloody" as I had expected. It is a bit "rosy" or magenta-ish, a bit like the Begonia bushes my Mother used to grow. But it's still a dark red. I'm going to have to do a comparison of Antietam vs Tiananmen, since I once was trying to decide between the two of them... Antietam has more rusty orange hues...

But anyway, I thought I'd post some paper towel chromatography I did to show the separation of pigments. The original thread is here (click to see all the colors side by side).

But I'm reposting the individual Tiananmen chromatograph.

http://static.flickr.com/50/107547244_0c9f52b209.jpg

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

• 1 year later...

I notice this Noodler's TianAnMen takes forever to dry out . And even when the whole page is done, it will smear if you try to.

Gosh... anyone else here have the same experience ?

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

Wow, what a beautiful ink! I think I'm going to have to get this one.

Currently using:

-TWSBI 530 Diamond Pink (F nib) - Diamine Teal

Hi Sirvinya, noticed your profile and it's a small world, I'm in S(stop that)horpe!!

I didn't mean to swear but hopefully Sirvinya will vouch for me and confirm it's a small town near Grimsby!!

That auto censor is actually quite funny :roflmho:

Edited by adyf

Nice, Bryan! :D

I think Nathan had blood in mind with both Tiananmen and Antietem, and one would imagine more dirt mixed in with the Antietem. ;)

BTW, I always thought it was spelled Antietem, but Nathan spells it Antietam. A quick google through some history finds various authors spelling it both ways! Somebody has to reign in this crazy english language. :lol:

You could always take the southern solution: call it Sharpsburg.

This was really brought home to me in 2002 when my family made a trip to Tennessee for NCFCA (National Christian Forensics & Communications Association) National Tournament. My middle child was competing in Lincoln-Douglas values debate, and several individual events. In any case, my sister in law and her family lived near where the tournament was held, so we stayed with them. Her then husband (the creek left her for a younger woman) was showing us around some landmarks and talking about "the War". Which in Tennessee, is apparently equivalent to "that recent unpleasantness" in the remainder of the south. He would refer to battles by the name the Confederacy gave them, while I was more familiar with the name the Federals gave them. The south named battles about towns or farms, while the north named them after bodies of water. E.g., Bull Run is a creek which runs through Manassas Junction in Virginia (1st land battle of the war) Sharpsburg is the town through which Antietam Creek runs, etc.

<set mode=pedantic> BTW, the English language needs to be reined in, rather than reigned in. The incorrect usage of reign in place of rein would be considered a malaprop, wherein the incorrect usage could be correct, if the meaning were slightly skewed, e.g., the language needs to be ruled from above to correction, rather than being guided by the reins, as a horse. <set mode=normal>

I supposed I'm a really bad combination. An English and History buff combined. Not quite the Adrian Monk of English teachers, but my children think I'm close.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

This thread sent me back to the drawing board, so to speak. I have four "redish" Noodler's inks in my ink drawer but I have not thought how they might relate to each other. I sat down and dip tested all of them again to compare them to one another. I have a very poor eye for color, so these are my best estimates.

Tiananmen - a medium to dark red. A "solid" color with no shading, but each line has a kind of border that alows the ink to look interesting on paper.

Antietam - a red with brown undertones that really does resemble dried blood. This color might be or resemble a "sepia."

Sha's Rose - is more of a magenta- red. It is bright and has purple (?!) undertones.

Red-Black - actually appears lighter than the Tiananmen, but very similar. I did not shake the bottle before I tried it, so I might have lost some of the blackness. This ink has the ability to show shading beter than the other three colors.

I like the effect of the Antietam and Sha's Rose and I will probably buy both of them again. The Tiananmen and Red-Black are so close that I will choose between the two rather than buy both again. Which will I choose? I really do not know yet.

I with I had Phthalo's eye for color!

Any idea where I can get this in the UK? Online preferable. I looked on the Writing Desk but couldn't find it.

Hi Sirvinya, noticed your profile and it's a small world, I'm in S(stop that)horpe!!

I didn't mean to swear but hopefully Sirvinya will vouch for me and confirm it's a small town near Grimsby!!

That auto censor is actually quite funny :roflmho:

We'll just call it Scunny then :roflmho: I can't believe it blocked that.

Edited by Sirvinya

Currently using:

-TWSBI 530 Diamond Pink (F nib) - Diamine Teal

Frank: I think the shaken Red Black will yield a most different result to Tiananmen! My recently-purchased Red Black really is very dark and quite blackish.

TMLee: Tiananmen and PR Fiesta Red are almost identical... the PR *may* be faster drying, but I'm not sure.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

The TianAnMen is reddish based.

The Antietam is orangey based.

Agree... I just recently got a bottle of the Tiananmen and like it very much (it's nice to have a trouble free Noodler's ink after using the very tempermental El Lawrence). From some pens and on some papers, one can really note a bright pinkish undertone, though the color overall is a nice dark red.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
How well do these inks hold up to water, do any red/black inks hold up to water?

Noodler's Red-Black is "near" bullet proof, per the description at Pendemonium:

All are waterproof to the extent that they will not wash off of paper and they are also bleach-resistant and resistant to UV light fading. There may be changes in color when they are subjected to water and bleach, but they will not wash or bleach from the paper.

The "near" bullet-proof inks have been much better behaved, in my experience, than the "eternal" varieties (Legal Lapis, Iraqi Indigo, etc.) No problems whatsoever with Walnut or Aircorp Blue-Black, and Red-Black is in the same category.

---
Use big words. They carry more weight.
I help small businesses find their next new customer. Check out more about what I do on Facebook.

• 1 year later...

Hope nobody minds me dredging up an old topic but i couldn't find an answer in my search.

Is the tiananmen waterproof?

Hope nobody minds me dredging up an old topic but i couldn't find an answer in my search.

Is the tiananmen waterproof?

no it isn't. no, antietam isn't either. nor widowmaker. but any of them, mixed 2:1 with djinn of the eternal flame (or Empire Red) will give a very nice semi-bulletproof color. I also enjoy mixing these three inks with Swishmix Burgundy.

As mentioned above, Red-Black is a near-bulletproof. You can make a very similar ink by mixing a red with Noodler's Black. Actually, throw a very little bit of Noodler's Black in any ink, and it will leave enough information to keep your writing legible after a tea-spill calamity, without darkening the ink too much.

Isn't Nikita not-completely-susceptible-to-water? I haven't used it, but I thought that was the situation. Nathan told me yesterday that a water-resistant (not bulletproof) red is in the works.

As I've found with FP inks, mix-it-yourself is often the best solution. Mixing near-bulletproofs is my favorite thing now. I recently found out that doing it with the pesky Russian series inks actually alleviates their clogging problems.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

I have some Tiananmen my sister sent me as a sample and it's a red that I think of as arterial bleeding red. An FPN friend sent me some Fox Red and that now is my red of choice because it's bulletproof (the UV resistance isn't important to me). But I'd happily use the Tiananmen if I didn't have the Fox red; the Tiananmen is just a bit darker.