34 replies to this topic

#1 30Cal

30Cal

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:15

I'm not sure what you'd call this style. I think it looks good (especially in this ink), but it's not very easy to read. Forgive my spelling mistake.

Namiki Falcon, Fine point
Noodler's Kiowa Pecan (love that stuff)

#2 Immoteus

Immoteus

Messias non est

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:27

Wow... That looks great! It reminds me of Specerian (almost). Definitely puts my writing to shame...
Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

#3 TrevorML

TrevorML

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:40

LOOOOOOVE that style... that is very cool writing... readability to hell... personality counts for so much more ... and it is exceptionally consistent to boot!!

cheers
Trevor

#4 goldkiwi

goldkiwi

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:48

Oh my gosh, that's gorgeous! I wish I could write like that!
Posted Image Currently out of vials.my ink list

Ink of the moment: mix of Noodler's Lermontov, Britannia's Blue Waves, and Whiteness of the Whale

#5 CD7

CD7

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:06

I think it's very readable.
Though it would be more so with a spacer line.
Censors tend to do what only psychotics do: they confuse reality with illusion. - David Cronenberg

#6 TimRoscoe

TimRoscoe

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 15:02

Wow !
That is impressive, and I am surprised to notice that you got that much line variation with a fine point as well. As others have said, this is very readable. You have succeeded in providing style and grace without using too much ornamentation. That is what usually turns me off most examples of "classic Spencerian" script. It is usually gorgeous but ultimately overdone for my taste. Yours is perfect, although a little more space between the lines, as was mentioned above, would be even better.

Tim N. Roscoe

Celebrating
Canadian Landscape

#7 Verdant

Verdant

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 15:07

Gorgeous!
"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle.

"Power concedes nothing without a demand; it never has and it never will."

~Frederick Douglass

#8 limesally

limesally

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2008 - 15:13

Wow! I don't know the name of it either, but it looks great! Nice flex happyberet.gif
The only think I think would help legibility is greater spacing, it's otherwise perfectly legible to me.

Edited by limesally, 09 January 2008 - 15:14.

#9 Tony the Tiger

Tony the Tiger

Your life is an occasion--rise to it!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2008 - 15:26

30Cal, your penmanship is wonderful. I just got a Falcon, but w/ a M nib. I really need to practice to get any where near your level of expertise. Very nice indeed. You have inspired me to get mine out and "get busy."
CURRENT STABLE:
(2) Danitrio Tac Carry II/Xezo Architect/(2)(1920's era) Redipoint Flex/Libelle Vortex/Orange LE Pilot VP/Waterman Carene/Mont Blanc Mozart/Dunhill Sidecar/ Platinum 3776 Music Nib
WISH LIST:
MB Boheme / Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver / Pelikan M800 (clear demo) / Stipula Da Vinci / Visconti Opera Master

#10 Judybug

Judybug

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2008 - 15:53

Beautiful! And not really hard to read. Others have already said what I thought when I first looked at this - more spacing between lines is all it would take to make this even more readable. smile.gif

Judybug
So many pens, so little time!

Posted Image

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

#11 30Cal

30Cal

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 18:17

Yeah, I need a bigger piece of paper for that speech. That's about the most flex I can get out of the Falcon without breaking something and it's hard work. I have a vintage pen with a beautiful flex, but I busted the nib on it and haven't gotten around to getting it repaired.

#12 TrevorML

TrevorML

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 23:53

QUOTE(30Cal @ Jan 10 2008, 03:47 AM) View Post
That's about the most flex I can get out of the Falcon without breaking something and it's hard work

when you say it is hard work... what sort of speed do you do this at... normal writing speed or much slower and more deliberate...?

cheers T

#13 Shangas

Shangas

Sealing wax and other fancy stuff...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,956 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2008 - 14:24

Very pretty & stylish.

Too pretty. I can't read it! laugh.gif

If you used black ink, or say, blue-black, I might be able to make it out, though. Very nice, though smile.gif
"I, the proud owner of a fountain pen!" - Anne Frank.
Political Correctness [Definition]: A pitiful attempt by mankind to please all, disguise the truth, and fail at both.
"Not Yet Published". My Writing and History Blog.

#14 30Cal

30Cal

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 19:12

QUOTE(TrevorML @ Jan 9 2008, 11:53 PM) View Post
QUOTE(30Cal @ Jan 10 2008, 03:47 AM) View Post
That's about the most flex I can get out of the Falcon without breaking something and it's hard work

when you say it is hard work... what sort of speed do you do this at... normal writing speed or much slower and more deliberate...?

cheers T

It's tiresome on the hand. I have to take a break every couple times to rest, or to blot the nib to keep the inkflow more or less constant. I can write faster without losing much in the appearance, but then I start making mistakes. I have to remind myself constantly to keep moving my hand instead of the trying to stretch. It took me a while to learn that you have to go one letter at a time.

Edited by 30Cal, 10 January 2008 - 19:14.

#15 myremecophaga

myremecophaga

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 21:01

Lovely, and very legible.

#16 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,494 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 22:08

I am soooo jealous of your beautiful handwriting! However, legibility would be greatly improved if you either used ever other line or only used ~80% of each linewidth. Currently, the letters from each line touch the following line's letters.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#17 Hoarder68

Hoarder68

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 845 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 22:31

Terrific penmanship. You must be a younger person, to have such a steady hand.

Edited by Hoarder68, 10 January 2008 - 22:32.

#18 savarez

savarez

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 22:37

The Namiki Falcon is a *great* pen and is very inexpensive. Pam at OscarBraun has a the best price on these I've seen. For anyone wanting to try a pen with a little flex, the Falcon should not be overlooked.

Currently Inked: Visconti Pericle EF : Aurora Black; Pilot VP-F (Gunmetal): X-Feather; Pilot VP-F (LE Orange): Kiowa Pecan; Lamy Safari EF: Legal Lapis
Wishlist (WTB/T) - Pelikan "San Francisco"

#19 chud

chud

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 22:48

QUOTE(savarez @ Jan 10 2008, 03:37 PM) View Post
The Namiki Falcon is a *great* pen and is very inexpensive. Pam at OscarBraun has a the best price on these I've seen. For anyone wanting to try a pen with a little flex, the Falcon should not be overlooked.

I does look like a pretty nice pen, though I'd say that "very inexpensive" is relative. In the $125 - $150 range, it's certainly not among the *really* expensive pens, but neither is it what I'd call very inexpensive. :-)

#20 savarez

savarez

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 22:56

QUOTE(chud @ Jan 10 2008, 02:48 PM) View Post
I does look like a pretty nice pen, though I'd say that "very inexpensive" is relative. In the $125 - $150 range, it's certainly not among the *really* expensive pens, but neither is it what I'd call very inexpensive. :-)

Fair enough.

But with most gold nibbed pens going well beyond the $200-$300 price point, the Falcon is, relatively, a bargain, and with a little comparison shopping, you won't even break $125, shipping included.

Edited by savarez, 10 January 2008 - 22:59.

Currently Inked: Visconti Pericle EF : Aurora Black; Pilot VP-F (Gunmetal): X-Feather; Pilot VP-F (LE Orange): Kiowa Pecan; Lamy Safari EF: Legal Lapis
Wishlist (WTB/T) - Pelikan "San Francisco"

#21 TrevorML

TrevorML

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 23:59

QUOTE(savarez @ Jan 11 2008, 08:07 AM) View Post

I know I have seen the address around here somewhere... but does someone have the link to Pam's site?

thanks and cheers T

#22 ppenloverr

ppenloverr

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2008 - 00:07

QUOTE(30Cal @ Jan 9 2008, 05:15 AM) View Post
I'm not sure what you'd call this style. I think it looks good (especially in this ink), but it's not very easy to read. Forgive my spelling mistake.

awesome. just a question are you using a flex nib or very flex nib. what kind of nib are you using for that. do not think i will get to that level anyway but just curious....
Regards

p p e n l o v e r r

#23 Immoteus

Immoteus

Messias non est

• Member - Gold

• 819 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:43

Namiki Falcon is a Semi-Flex nib. And to achieve that style of writing takes considerable effort because it is not a full flex nib.
Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

#24 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 18:37

I like it very much. Thank you for sharing!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

#25 transition

transition

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 18:52

I've never used a flex or even a semi-flex nib before. Is it possible to get line variation like that at normal writing speed with a full flex nib, or is it all very deliberate no matter how flexy the nib is?

I know I should probably stick to a stub or slight italic, but I'm so curious about flex...

#26 Ken Fraser

Ken Fraser

Calligrapher

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2008 - 19:07

QUOTE(transition @ Jan 11 2008, 06:52 PM) View Post
I've never used a flex or even a semi-flex nib before. Is it possible to get line variation like that at normal writing speed with a full flex nib, or is it all very deliberate no matter how flexy the nib is?

I know I should probably stick to a stub or slight italic, but I'm so curious about flex...

Go to to see flex writing by Antoniosz at normal writing speed.

Edited by caliken, 11 January 2008 - 19:08.

Available at :   www.kenfrasercalligrapher.com

fpn_1396100240__sig_strip_300p.jpg

#27 Lozzic

Lozzic

Archaic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 22:34

That writing looks very nice, out of curiosity how long did it take you to write it? It looks like a Copperplate style script with a bit more of a slant, the capital T looks very Spencerian. The general style actually looks a little like the 'Italian Hand' of Copperplate I have in one of my books, especially the fact that you have swelled the ink on some of the descenders.
Very nice thumbup.gif

#28 youngdanf

youngdanf

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 13:06

That is wonderful! Your penmanship is amazing. I also really love the look of the ink. I might just have to buy a bottle of that ink now.
Thanks for posting.

#29 willisoften

willisoften

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 00:22

I have no expertise in this field whatsoever so please take the following as uneducated opinion smile.gif
The style is very attractive and the writing beautiful, however I am bound to say that the composition as a whole needs more room. IMHO with such an ornamental style you need more white-space both between lines and between words.

When viewed as a whole image rather than just a piece of writing, artistically, (if that makes sense):
I am not keen on the way the tails at the end of one word overlap with strokes beginning the first letter of the next word.
To me it seems to lessen the impact of each artfully penned word, but if that is a stylistic element I could accept it. Unfortunately the way some descending strokes are written over by the next line, looks untidy,almost scribbled and really does detract from the work as a whole. The lack of "loft" between lines makes the piece look crowded.

On the other hand I wish I could do half so well.......

#30 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:55

QUOTE(30Cal @ Jan 9 2008, 06:15 AM) View Post

Is the most impressive handwriting I've seen so far. And sooo personal. Looks somewhat old fashioned, I just love it. Makes me wonder about the personality of the owner. Interesting.