Parker "51" Titanium custom by Ralph Prather

J-san

Ever since I bought a "51", I've been thinking of how cool it would be to have one in some exotic material like carbon fibre or titanium. I already have a carbon fibre pen (the Tombow Zoom 101), but have yet to get a titanium one. Until now. The Ralph Prather custom Ti "51" is a real work of art. I don't consider myself an expert of writing instruments by any means, but I know enough to say that I have a really great pen in my collection. Partly due to the materials used in its manufacture, but also because it is among the most famous of pens in the world and is an excellent writer.

--- Design Fit & Finish ---

I normally have a section to talk about the packaging, but in this case, the pen arrived in a USPS mailer box, securely packed in a PVC pipe. I give Ralph points for that as a cardboard box can be crushed, but a thick PVC pipe will withstand such abuse a lot better. But hey, the pen is made of titanium anyways!

Design is that of a regular double jeweled “51”, but everything aside from the collector, feed, diaphragm, and nib are handcrafted from metal. All parts fit together impeccably without any wobble. There are no tooling marks as far as I can see and the metal surfaces are an attractive satin finish. The only shiny bling comes from the highly polished sterling silver cap. Personally, I never liked shiny finishes as they tend to collect scratches and fingerprints, but the cap was in perfect condition and so clean and sparkly. Mike from Wet Inc. was kind enough to send me a Lustralloy cap to go with the “51”. I haven’t included it in the photos, but I think it makes for a more attractive package being that both have a satin finish. (I also didn’t want to risk scratching that beautiful silver cap during daily wear) The very end of the cap sports a jewel made from aluminum. It doesn’t have the cool translucent look of the celluloid ones, but this adds to the cool “technical” look of the all titanium body.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/j3san/IMG_0764.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/j3san/IMG_0765.jpg

On the tail end of the pen is a neat little gold-trimmed posting ring that separates the body from the blind cap. The inner cap grips this ring and provides a secure post – no more lost caps! The blind cap is also made of Ti and has an identical aluminum jewel on the end of a gold-trimmed tassie (is that what they call it??). Under the blind cap, is a solid brass vac filler pump and it works just like any other vac. Of note are the threads used on the vac retaining collar – they are a different pitch than what is standard. Ralph graciously includes a specific tool to allow self-service of said filler, eliminating the need to search high and low for the correctly threaded one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/j3san/IMG_0779.jpg

The hood is slightly different that the plastic version. It has a mildly boxy appearance with the lines angling away at a wider angle. This gives the Ti “51” a more stout look than its plastic cousins. Not sure how much I like the boxier look, but there seems to be a good bit of titanium left around the hood that I could possibly round out some more in the future. We shall see. The area around the hood opening is polished smooth and has a bit of shine to it, but not as much as the silver cap. No need for section sealer or shellac here. The titanium hood screws onto the titanium body and locks up nice and tight with the titanium clutch ring pinched in between. Ralph suggests a dielectric tune-up grease to lube and seal the threads. Being that I monkeyed with the nib, I added a small dab of super thick Tamiya Anti-Wear grease that I used to lock the differential gears in my R/C cars back when I used to race. Should make for super tight seal there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/j3san/IMG_0757.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/j3san/IMG_0763.jpg

--- Nib & Writing ---

I asked Ralph to give me the finest nib he had. The pen arrived with a smooth XF that laid down a thin, but wet line when ink with Noodler’s Black. Having been spoiled with Sailor XF nibs, I felt the 51’s nib was a tad on the fat side. Being that I was already in the lab today finishing up a gold crown and had all my gold polishing tools out, I decided to remove the tiniest bit of tipping from all sides. The result was a nice XF nib that rivaled a Sailor XF. (you can probably see some of the polishing I did on the nib underside)

The Ti “51” writes like any other “51”, but it has significantly more heft to it. It isn’t like a heavy metal rod in your hands, but feels a lot more substantial in your fingers. It feels like you are holding an expensive pen. Balance is good with the center being in the middle part of the body. Posting doesn’t alter the balance by much if at all. I like pens that balance a bit behind my writing fingers and even a little bit towards the back end. This pen behaves quite well when writing quickly and the added heft seems to tame my wild scribbles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/j3san/IMG_0766.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/j3san/IMG_0770.jpg

--- Filling ---

It is a vacumatic and works just like one. I’m very fond of the vac filler and I think the solid brass pump really adds a cool touch. I didn’t have any issues with the pen burping up an ink blob. The satin Ti finish tends to trap ink and stain if you simply wipe off the excess with a dry tissue, but is easily cleaned off with a damp cloth.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/j3san/IMG_0767.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/j3san/IMG_0768.jpg

--- Final Thoughts ---

I am truly awed by this awesome customization of an already awesome pen. I am finally able to add another of my favourite ”exotic” materials to my pen collection. I don’t know how many more Ralph plans to make, but if you’re into titanium and love vacs, take a look at this one. Wetinc.com has the pen listed under the vacumatics section. I’m glad I found it when I did. This one will find itself serving an extended tour among the pens in my regular rotation.

Jason's current rotation:

Lamy 2000 eyedropper

Parker '51' Vac

Sailor Pro Gear

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J-san

• jmkeuning

• greencobra

• PAKMAN

Very nice, having just got my own P51 DJ I know how great they are-but I would love a brass vac pump to replace my original one!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Holy cow, Jay!

I'm gettin' in the car right now. I'll be knocking on your door in 4 hours to see it.

I'm not that crazy, but I want to see it too!

My Pencraft gets here next week, we'll have to get together after that.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Now...that's a pen.

And not a Montblanc diamond in sight.

I have lust in my heart.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I keep coming back to this review to look, an interesting pen, no doubt. I like the idea of a titanium "51", very industrial, but damn, that price tag. Way, way over what I'd go. Do love this pen though. Thanks for putting up the review and pics, I enjoyed them.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I'm glad you all liked the review and pics. Yes, the price is a tad high, but I knew the moment I had laid eyes on it, I would not rest till I bought one. Once you hold one and write with it, you will see why it commands such a price. I also understand titanium is a difficult metal to work with due to its toughness and can require specialty tools and more skill to produce a similar product.

no worries, Ryan. I'll be sure to let you try it out the next time we meet. James, I'd love to see your new Pencraft.

Alvarez, not sure what year the pen is based on, but the nib is dated 1944. I assume it is a war-era vac since it has a pump that is identical to the plastic ones. From what I understand, the filler is entirely modern, but the feed system is original.

Lamy 2000 eyedropper

Parker '51' Vac

Sailor Pro Gear

Yes, the price is a tad high, but I knew the moment I had laid eyes on it, I would not rest till I bought one.

We all know that feeling.

Once you hold one and write with it, you will see why it commands such a price.

Are you kidding, I don't want to get near one. I'm looking for a credit card that's empty at the moment. :headsmack:

I know you're enjoying that "51", use it in good health.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

WOW what a sweet looking pen! The sterling cap looks great on it. Could he make a Ti cap too?

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Great looking pen. Is this a figment of some ones imagination or is this pen really available?

Hi,

This pen is really available. It looks stunning. :)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

WOW what a sweet looking pen! The sterling cap looks great on it. Could he make a Ti cap too?

I'm sure he could make a Ti cap. I've put the sterling cap away because I'm too afraid to get scratches on it. So far, I've only been using the lustralloy cap.

Lamy 2000 eyedropper

Parker '51' Vac

Sailor Pro Gear

I recently received #19 directly from Ralph Prather, so there are not a lot of these in circulation. He is a great person to deal with and it was nice talking with the person actually making and setting up my pen.

I also specified an XF nib but is closer to a F. It puts down a nice wet line and is incredibly smooth for such a fine nib. Oddly the hood on my pen seems to taper significantly more toward the nib than a standard "P51".

I like your idea of the lusterloy cap. Sadly all of mine looks like well used spoons. I am concerned with maintenance of the silver cap. They are suppose to be fairly durable and easy to maintain. Personally I'm not a fan of precious metal, except platinum which has very good properties.

Thanks for the great review. I feel guilty for not doing a review on some of the pens i have recently received.

Rush

Very Very nice :puddle:

Great review too

They cannot look out far.

They cannot look in deep.

But when was that ever a bar

To any watch they keep?

-- Robert Frost --

• 5 weeks later...

one of the nicest customs pens I have ever seen

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

How much was this beauty?

3rd pen here

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Ohh man this is too sweet.Even though I do have few Parker 51 in my colection I was never a huge 51 fan but this is just AMAZING.

Respect to all

goodguy' next grail?