Stipula Duetto

TheNobleSavage

Stipula Duetto

First Impressions

This is another Pen Trace Green Board purchase from Mr. Mike Baca I saw 2 Stipula Duetto fountain pens for sale, one in the Cognac color and one in the Pacific Blue. The blue was a really gorgeous color but I am not really into specialized nibs with the exception of music nibs. The Duetto in the Cognac color was with an 18kt gold medium nib. That really appealed to me due to the fact that my last Stipula Novecento had the same kind of nib in the same width, a medium.

I received the pen within 3 days and I was beyond excited to try this pen out. This is a pretty unique looking pen that was brand new and never inked at a steal of a price!! All the goodies were there and the converter and one cartridge was still sealed up in a small baggie by Stipula. Ok, lets get this going!!!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Stipula%20Duetto/overall1.jpg

Appearance/ Finish 5 out of 5

Appearance? It’s a pen, what else do you want? Just kidding!!! This is a pen in a color that they called Cognac. This pen is striated and the colors range from a light tan, pinkish brown, mother of pearl, silver, walnut and dark brown. The section is semi translucent while other parts of the pen are not. Stipula uses a material called Cellocride and this is what gives this pen a celluloid look while having all of the striations. This pen has a very high gloss appearance and that seems to really bring out some of the silver and pearl highlights.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Stipula%20Duetto/box1large.jpg

As far as the metal pieces go, these pieces are made from cast Phosphorous Bronze using a process called PVD. PVD is a process in which silver or gold is bonded to the clips or rings on a molecular level. I’m pretty smart right?? I bet you ask “how in the world does he know all this stuff”? Well, because I read it off the Stipula site, duhhhh!!! Do you think I actually would know this kind of stuff, especially off the top of my head?? I may be a dummy but my Momma didn’t raise no fool!!!! So lets get to the bottom of this pen!!!!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Stipula%20Duetto/overall.jpg

Design/Size/Weight 5 out of 5

Alrighty, dimensions, you want dimensions? I got em!! Capped. This pen is roughly 5 ½ inches in length. With the cap posted this pen comes in at around 6 ½ inches in length. Weight? Hell, I don’t know but it is pretty light, that’s for sure. This pen is a bit of an unusual design, the threads are at the base of the section right below the nib. These are a set of small metal threads that screw deep within the cap for a sure lock tight fit. One good thing about the threads being located there is that your fingers wont become threaded like on other pens with the typical threading location. The metal threads screw into non-metal threads in the cap. But what little I can see, the threads are pretty deep, so you shouldn’t have to worry about stripping them unless you are a Cro-Magnon and you have to rip everything open.

The clip on this pen uses a spring loaded mechanism that is tight but with a nice feature. It seems like it is not only spring loaded but also hinged. There is a place on the top of the clip that allows you to press on the clip, thus raising the opposite end of the clip so you can slip this pen in your shirt pocket. Since this clip is spring loaded and hinged, it can open wider than most other clips. This allows you to clip the pen on to thicker materials and not worry about bending or breaking the clip.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Stipula%20Duetto/cap.jpg

There is a Faux Blind Cap at the end of the barrel. I never handled this pen before, so I had no clue where to fill this pen. Hey, give a brother a brake!!!! Well, instead of the section unscrewing from the barrel to fill or change a cartridge/converter. The barrel unscrews at the mid way point. This makes the section ½ of the barrel or it makes the barrel only ½ as long or it is equal in both the sections of the barrel that makes it 50/50 or, WHO THE HELL CARES!!!!!

So getting back to the subject, this pen shape kind of reminds me of the Stipula 22 (Ventidue). Both ends of this pen are semi rounded off so it is definitely not a flat top. This pen does have some interesting features that really are surprisingly appealing and convenient

Nib Design and Performance 5 out of 5

I am going to use part of my Stipula Novecento review of the nib on this review of the Stipula Duetto. If you already read the review on the Novecento and don’t like to read stuff that you have already read before then either scroll down or suck it up and read on!!! Just kidding, all hugs and kisses!!!

The nib on this particular pen is an 18kt gold two tone with a medium width to it. If you have never seen this nib then look below, It has engravings on both the left and right side of the nib that resembles straw. Here is the story on the word and meaning of Stipula, this might give you a better insight of the definition. I stolen this text from www.madeinfirenze.it:

STIPULA - the meaning of the name

The name “Stipula” boasts very ancient origins. In the Latin language it literally meant “straw” or “small piece of straw”. But the actual meaning of the word is connected to the widespread use, among the ancient Romans, of stipulating an agreement by splitting a small piece of straw. For us, this name indicts a deep commitment for quality and accuracy, a special agreement made with those who hunt for excellence and indisputable quality in writing instruments.

Now that you are all enlightened and stuff the rest of the nib has the word “Stipula” in cursive. Below the Stipula text there is what looks like a diamond with “750” in gold. Below that is “18K” and last but not least is “M” for the nib being a medium. Some of the other Duetto pens are either being sold with either 18kt, 14kt or even titanium nibs at a much more of a discounted price.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Stipula%20Duetto/nibcap1.jpg

Like the last Stipula nib that I reviewed, this one had the same scratchy feel to it. Nothing serious, what people call a tad toothy is what I would call too scratchy and needs some fixie fixie!!! I used my Mylar 1.5 micron and .1 micron smoothing discs to remove the tiny burrs and then I used the .1 micron disc to polish in between the tines and tipping material. This really solved the problem and now the nib practically floats across the paper with a heavy medium line. This is so reminiscent of the nib on the Novecento. This nib has a bit of spring to it and there is room for a bit of line variation while writing. This nib performs superbly and without flaw. The ink flow is solid and I filled this pen 4 times before writing this review to make sure the flow was good. It certainly was because it wrote the same from start to finish.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Stipula%20Duetto/bignib.jpg

The Filling System 4.5 out of 5

This pen is a cartridge converter but I will not bust Stipula’s chops on a C/C filling system. As I said earlier, the pen unscrews at the center and it reveals the converter ½ in and ½ out of the barrel. This makes filling the pen extremely easy and you will not have to worry about getting your fingers and hands covered in fountain pen ink. This pen works exceptionally well in the tall 3oz Noodlers bottles. I know with some of my other pens in my collections, I never want to drop the whole section in the ink and fill it up. This was you have 100% control in filling the pen while your fingers are further away from the lip of the ink bottle.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/TheNobleSavage/Stipula%20Duetto/broke2.jpg

They really did an excellent job in this design. Yes, I would love an integrated filling system but this is pretty ingenious and I am glad they did this on the Duetto.

Cost 5 out of 5

I got a kick ass deal on this pen, roughly $115.00 with shipping included. As far as I am concerned, this is a steal and also keep in mind that this pen was never dipped. Filled or used. This pen is, or well, was brand spanking new until I filled it up for the first time. I have seen other online stores sell the Stipula Duetto pens with different nibs and prices. For example Swisher Pens sells the Duetto for $165.00 but with a Titanium nib. www.theinkflow.com sells the Duetto for $199.00 with the 18kt gold nib and so does www.pencity.com but for $198.00 There seems to be an abundance of these pens on the PenTrace Green Board and they usually go for $100.00 all the way up to about $130.00 Regardless, I think this is well worth it for a really neat looking pen that performs like a champ

Conclusion

This pen really is a wonderful writer and also quite a looker too. The price is right and I think you will be very happy with this pen. The pen is well constructed, the nib is really on top and so are the little details that make this pen extremely convenient. As far as I am concerned, this is really the definition of a modern pen style but don’t let that prevent you from taking this pen for a test ride. I am sure you will like what you see and feel. I give this pen a full recommendation with 2 thumbs up!!!

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maja

• TheNobleSavage

• wimg

• Roger

TNS, another top-notch review! I've been wanting a Duetto for a while and wanted a close look at one. This is the next best thing to actually handling one. Shame to hear about the scratchy nibs, though. On a pen with a MSRP like the Duetto, you would expect a smooth nib.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

About 85% of all new pens I buy, they need some sort of minor adjustment. When I say minor adjustment I mean just a little smoothing here and there. So as far as I am concerned, this is a rite of passage when I buy a new pen. I have an odd way of writting so most pen manufactures do not smooth the nib the way I need it. When I do not have to do it, then I consider it a treat!! I normally do not hold a slightly scratchy nib against the manufacture. As long as I can smooth it without major effort!!! ;)

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Ooooh, I almost bought a Duetto off the Green Board myself ..... and I think I had my magpie eye on this one because of the colour...but then again the blue pattern is gorgeous too. Bit of a coin toss, really, all things being equal. :)

I remember this pen won the "Best Pen Value" award (or some such thing) in Pen World magazine a few years ago, and that's what drew my eye to it. I am glad that it turned out to be a really good user, because it is very attractive, but it's too bad it was a tad scratchy in the beginning. Good thing it didn't have feed problems; those sound harder to fix than a scratchy nib.

Thanks for the review, NS! I will keep my eyes open for a good deal on one of these babies... :)

Another great review TNS. After reading it, I am actually missing the Duetto that I sold a few weeks back on the green board.

Btw, you want to be real careful to prevent ink from being trapped between the internal brass piece and the translucent body. Quite a few folks got ink stains by either dipping it too deep into the ink bottle or by allowing ink to leak out in the converter (which was what happened to mine).

Otherwise, I thought the Duetto has a wonderful weight to size ratio and the tapering section is perfect. What a great value.

Another great review TNS. After reading it, I am actually missing the Duetto that I sold a few weeks back on the green board.

Btw, you want to be real careful to prevent ink from being trapped between the internal brass piece and the translucent body. Quite a few folks got ink stains by either dipping it too deep into the ink bottle or by allowing ink to leak out in the converter (which was what happened to mine).

Otherwise, I thought the Duetto has a wonderful weight to size ratio and the tapering section is perfect. What a great value.

I will be sure to take you advice on that!!! This pen is really is a great writer and I really enjoy using this pen.

TNS

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Another great review TNS.  After reading it, I am actually missing the Duetto that I sold a few weeks back on the green board.

Now that's the mark of a great review...having someone who recently parted with one to now miss it! :D

I liked this one, also, Savage. It performed a service for me in that I now know that it is not a FP in which I would be interested. :( Good reviews can work either way, vis-à-vis your Pel M1000 review was responsible for me now having one of them in my accumulation. :lol:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Another great review TNS.  After reading it, I am actually missing the Duetto that I sold a few weeks back on the green board.

Now that's the mark of a great review...having someone who recently parted with one to now miss it! :D

I liked this one, also, Savage. It performed a service for me in that I now know that it is not a FP in which I would be interested. :( Good reviews can work either way, vis-à-vis your Pel M1000 review was responsible for me now having one of them in my accumulation. :lol:

Roger,

I just try to be honest with my reviews. Some pens are not for everyone due to the fact that people have different tastes. I have a few real stinkers coming up for review. All is not always well on the Savage Front!!! As for reviews, I should be getting "kick backs' from the pen companies, if my reviews influences people to buy a particular pen!!! Oh well, "Sic biscuitus disintegratum"

TNS

Edited by The Noble Savage

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Thanks for another wonderful review TNS!

I know this isn't really a pen for me (I held a few), but the nib is a typical Stip indeed. Springy, allowing for some line variation, but it shouldn't have been scratchy.

OTOH, as you explain, you write with it in a non-standard way, so that may indeed be it. Normally, the Ms are very smooth.

Anyway, thanks again!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Don't mean to hijack this great review thread, but I just had a quick question for Wim and Roger: what didn't you like about the Stipulas you owned or tried?

Just curious as I am eager to add one to my "stable"....

Don't mean to hijack this great review thread, but I just had a quick question for Wim and Roger: what didn't you like about the Stipulas you owned or tried?

I only own the Etruria 991, Maja, and there's nothing I dislike about it! :P

I had the "gap" issue which seems to have only affected a small number of the production. That discussion is on the board, here, and can be found. But, Stipula took care of the problem with only the month long Italian summer holiday :D to prevent it from being a timely fix.

If the rest of the Etruria line is as lovely looking and smartly nibbed as the 991 then I understand Wim's delight with them. I *will* have more as inclination and budget allow. :)

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Hi Maja,

Well, first of all I am very lucky in that all three B&M stores I frequent have a decent collection of Stipulas, and one of them has the complete set of nibs in a dip-set version available for trying. And from one of the other two I always get a call when a new shipment arrives :lol:.

I have tried most models of Stipulas, 22, Alinari, DaVinci, Suprema, Duetto, I Castoni, the Laurus and similar series of pens, whatever. But I like Novecentos and Etrurias most. Furthermore, they are big enough for my hands, have big nibs, and were really made for writing, unlike some of their arty pens, IMO anyway.

Of the two preferred model series, I like Etrurias most. My accumulation contains only 1 Novecento, and that actually is a Saturno (crescent-filler) model, the Orangerie (LE). I got that at a very good price, otherwise I wouldn´t have bought it, I think. I consider that to be a novelty type pen, in a way. RHR (or rather, orange hard rubber), crescent filler, sacced IOW, and I am not really a fan of sacced pens, but this is a gorgeous B-nibbed pen that just asks for Noodler´s Cayenne :D.

All my other 14 Stips :D, are Etrurias, 11 different models alltogether :D. I prefer the big piston converter models and the retractibles (the Amber retractible and the blue d'Inverno). I just love the celluloid of these pens, and the nibs, especially the 0.9 and 1.1 italics.

Now, I wouldn´t recommend the retractibles to just anybody but the most ardent collector/accumulator/user, because they require getting used to, and gentle treatment on top of that. Furthermore, they are rather hard to fill: you really need 3 hands to do that. But wow!, what great pens they are, shapewise, clever construction, and piston filling too.

I would really like to stress as well, that Stips are a little like thoroughbreds: they perform magnificently, but they do need a little extra care and attention. The springy nibs require an occasional tweak to align the nibs. They are wonderful to write with, the greatest feedback IMO of any nib I have handled, but because of the springiness they get out of alignment just that little more easily than a stiffer nib. And writing with an italic is a little harder too, as you have to hit the sweet spot, which is ok in the 0.9, gets a little smaller in the 1.1, and is most difficult in the 1.3, obviously. The EF and F are very smooth for such small points, BTW.

I´ve had problems with 2 of the Etrurias. Of one the barrel cracked at the top of the threads, which was caused by threads too deeply cut (threads on both the inside and outside at that end of the barrel). This was sent to the factory, through the B&M store where I got it, and I had it back in 3 1/2 weeks. The other one was a piston filler, with a blown piston seal at the top end, which was fixed in 2 weeks time. Considering the fact that the repair of my M800 took > 3 months, I think this was excellent service.

The newer Etrurias, the big piston converters and the demos, have exchangeable nib/feed assemblies, more or less like Pelikan, and I have a few extra of the Etruria nib/feed assemblies (the same as on the newer big Novecentos BTW), so if I am in the mood for a different nib on the same pen, I just go ahead and exchange it :D.

The retractibles have removable nib/feed assemblies as well, but they don´t take the standard nib/feed assemblies, as the nib flanges on these are bent slightly further down, and because they have a collar more narrow, all to make them fit inside the section. These do fit on the standard Etrurias, though.

The biggest problem with Stipulas is the standard international converter that comes with c/c versions and with some of the big piston converter models (in addition to the big piston converter). They tend to suffer from severe SID or SIS (Sticky Ink Disease or Syndrome), and there is no remedy other than exchanging it for a non-Stip converter, like the Pelikan. The weird thing is that some do suffer from this, and others don´t, although they look exactly the same. No amount of rinsing with a soapy solution fixes this, not even pure liquid dishwashing soap (yes I tried, it was hell to clean it out afterwards :lol:).

Anyway, done rambling for now. They´re great pens, IMO, and together with my Edsons are the pens I wouldn´t want to do without...

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I don't have time to do a full review here. But while we're on the subject of Stipulas. MY I Castoni finally arrived today. :D :D

I could never take a picture that would do it justice. It's so much more good looking in person. It's kind of a halloween pen because there are chunks of orange mixed in with greys. Writes pretty well too :P I flushed it out and then filled it with Noodler's Zhivago. Oh, that's a nice ink.

As much as I love my Dani Trio's and many other pens, I want more Stipulas. Someone told me that Omas were like heroin, but I'm finding that Stipulas could easily become my drug of choice.

:doh: :doh:

Hmmm, did I happen to notice that someone here bought a Duetto from the greenboard recently? :P

Friends, Romans, Countrymen-lend me your Stipulas.

:bunny1: :bunny1:

Fountain Pen Abundance

Hmmm, did I happen to notice that someone here bought a Duetto from the greenboard recently? :P

:blush:

Maybe

:blush:

Yeah, I should change my Marketplace post to say that I ordered one on the weekend.

Glad you are enjoying the I Castoni, Karin. Are you going to review it in another thread? (hint, hint) ;)

Take care,

~Maja

I'm not a fan of Italian pens but must say, after seeing your photos, would be interested in having one of these.

Lovely pens. Thanks.