3 replies to this topic

#1 gregoron

gregoron

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 18:30

I'm traveling to San Diego this week and would like some recommendations on any stores that sell modern or vintage fountain pens.
You are what you write
More than you are what you say
But, do more than write

(my haiku)

-----------------------------------

- No affiliation with any vendors or manufacturers mentioned above.
- Edits done for grammatical purposes only.

#2 kernando

kernando

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 21:52

In San Diego proper, I believe the answer is pretty much no. There's a stationery store that carries normal pen brand inks and the pens are mostly Sheaffer and/or low end. There is chain of local luggage stores that is not to be patronized for anything, as they won't let people try the pens, and maybe not even touch them.

If you are driving, go inland to Lakeside to see Ron Meloche in his studio Gallery 9926 at 9926 Maine Ave. He probably recently posted to the local subforum.

#3 Dr.Grace

Dr.Grace

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2007 - 00:33

The stores are not great, but I think they'll let you see and touch the pens they carry. There's Warwick's stationery store in downtown La Jolla (Girard Ave.) and John's luggage, in the Fashion Valley mall (in Mission Valley, off Friars' Rd.) I was in John's a week ago, and they were selling the Pelikan "Honey" for over $200. You can get it for $100 online. I've never bought a pen from either of these stores, but they do have Waterman ink, etc., and Warwick's at least, has various brands of notebooks.

Ron Meloche sells some nice vintage pens he's restored. I don't know if he carries many modern pens.

Don

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value. --Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

#4 gregoron

gregoron

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 18:40

Thank you everyone.
You are what you write
More than you are what you say
But, do more than write

(my haiku)

-----------------------------------

- No affiliation with any vendors or manufacturers mentioned above.
- Edits done for grammatical purposes only.