Visconti Ragtime

Cloud

Hello,

I just bought a nice Visconti Ragtime. Here are some pictures. I would like to know writing experience from people who has one. Also, what size is it relatively to other pen.

Best

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6138/viscontiragtime1od1.jpg

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/7500/viscontiragtime2eu0.jpg

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6264/viscontiragtime3fw9.jpg

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/7595/viscontiragtime4vz2.jpg

Edited by Cloud

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kazoolaw

• dare_nova

• handlebar

• girlieg33k

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I just came across your original post. I bought a similar model Ragtime. Web research indicates that Visconti released several similar models, varying (near as my eyes can tell from webpages) in the designs on the barrels and caps, clips and gold/steel nibs.

Mine is a steel nibbed medium, and writes amazingly well. Maybe I just got an unusually good price, but I'm surprised at how well it performs. It writes a consistent medium line, no fuss, no problems, with everything from Waterman to Noodlers ink. The piston filler works well, even though the piston itself, as seen through the ink window is simply plastic, with plastic "fins" to make the seal.

The cap and barrel looked carved. This is one of the areas of difference among the models, with some smooth, some decorated on the barrel only, and some fully decorated.

It's only served to whet my appetite for getting the original Ragtime.

gary

visconti_ragtime.bmp

Cloud,

I missed this post the first time around. Where did you get this stunner of a pen?

Thx,

John

John

The original Ragtime was made from Celluloid, one of their first production models, and very expensive. They also reintroduced it as a Ragtime II, and this model is a later version. These are resin, and much less expensive, but still a nice pen, and the type of clip on this is very similar to the original.

I have one, but it is just a RB.

Looking at this again though, makes me wonder why they dont issue a new version of this pen.

A very classic design.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I am not into Viscontis but that one is a nice pen ;)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

The original Ragtime was made from Celluloid, one of their first production models, and very expensive. They also reintroduced it as a Ragtime II, and this model is a later version. These are resin, and much less expensive, but still a nice pen, and the type of clip on this is very similar to the original.

Looking at this again though, makes me wonder why they dont issue a new version of this pen.

The original Visconti Ragtime (1991) is indeed celluloid, and the New Ragtime (1994) (often referred to as Ragtime I or II) are also celluloid. I have a blue celluloid in the original Ragtime and the blonde and green celluloid versions of the New Ragtime -- all with 18K nibs. This was a surprise to me because I thought Visconti released these only with 14K nibs.

In 1999 and 2000 Visconti released the Ragtime Black (w/ a steel nib) and Ragtime Medici, respectively -- both of which are made of lucite. Unlike the original Ragtime and New Ragtime -- both of which are true piston fillers -- I understand that the Black and Medici versions are c/c fillers. I don't have either one, so I'm going by the info posted on the Visconti web site.

All the Ragtimes however are now considered "Vintage Editions" by Visconti and are out of production. For that reason, they can be had for relatively good prices if you chance upon them. (I paid less than $200 for each of my Ragtimes.) Here's a link to Visconti's Vintage Editions.

Edited: Fixed links.

Edited by girlieg33k

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

This is why collecting is always a surprise: the Medici in my post above is a piston filler.

gary

PS If ever you decide your celluloid Medici needs a new home....

Kate, would it be a bother for you to attach photos of your Ragtimes? Viewed the ones on Visconti but didn't see the blue one mentioned.

The original Ragtime was made from Celluloid, one of their first production models, and very expensive.

The latest issue of Penna magazine has an old celluloid Ragtime in the cover (wonderful celluloid, wonderful colors), for showing the Visconti's 20 years of activity. The old Ragtime, and the new Divina Black.

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I just bought a Visconti Ragtime lll Piston filler, it's still in the mail on it's way to me. Anyone have an idea what they are worth?

Thank You in advance