Review:Noodler's Walnut

handlebar

Greetings!!! I have been in the ink review mode so i figure i had better use it up while the time is there. LOL

I noticed that Noodler's Walnut had not been reviewed.And being that i have just picked up a bottle,why not.

So here it is:

I have 5 or 6 different browns in my collection.And i would say that it is my most used colour.So far my favourites are PR's Chocolat and

Waterman's Havana Brown.Also add Noodlers Kiowa Pecan.

But this brown is delicious!!!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/41.jpg

The bottle is the typical Noodlers style and label.I used a Stipula Florentia fine point for this review.I admit i tend to match inks with pen colours if i can.

So i decided to write out a poem of Robert Louis Stevenson.He is well known for his childrens books and novels,but not his poetry.

With autumn here and the cold starting to make it's appearance,this was apropo.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/11.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/31.jpg

This brown is darker than most of my others.it is closest to Private Reserve's Chocolat.

Flows a bit better than the other Noodlers which are more sticky in my pens.No real bleeding or feathering problems on light or heavy paper at all.

The paper used for this review was 20# Hammermill copy paper.Wanted to bring out the brown and it's detail.

This ink is almost bulletproof and does well near water as our rain has proved.No real bleeding.

Dries a bit longer than i wanted though.Not very fast.Chocolat dries much faster.Leaving the cap off the pen didn't hurt as it does not dry up quickly.

Here is a close up of the ink swatch:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/21.jpg

A rich hue of brown it is.It works very well on my italian Fabriano Mediovalis paper.Smooth and viscous ink.

This brand is available all over the Internet and should be easy to find.

In closing,i really don't see a need to own too many browns.This Walnut,a Chocolat and Kiowa Pecan will do fine.The others i have will not get as much use.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/61.jpg

Thank you for letting me share my Noodlers thoughts with you!!

JD

Vancouver,Wa

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Johnny Appleseed

• sallywally

• Oso

• Tricia

Excellent review, JD, thank you so much! Very nice photos, too.

I can see more red in this ink than I was aware Walnut had. This is an attractive color--reminds me of our FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown the way it looks on my monitor, and being near bulletproof is usually a good selling point.

Best, Ann

Good review and an excellent writing sample. Walnut is one of my favorite inks; I have to keep it in at least one pen. It's a pleasure to write with, as it flows well out of nearly every pen I have, and feels exceptionally smooth, even on my toothier nibs.

The real reason I love it so much is for the color on the page, however. It's one of my favorite note-taking colors, because I love looking at it again. It's a really warm, reddish-brown that shades from chocolate brown to nearly black.

Very nice review, Jim! I liked the poem--reminds me of growing up in northern Canada :)

I have a bottle of Waterman Havana and I love it, so how would you compare it to the Noodler's Walnut? Is is very similar but "bulletproof"?

One of the shops in my Vancouver :lol: has brought in the Noodler's line (Perks near Oakridge mall, if anyone from my area is reading this) so I will finally have a "local source" of Noodler's ink! :bunny01:

I don't know what I envy more, your pen collection or your handwriting. Great review, this site has really shaken my 'why would anyone make or use a non-black ink?' attitude to its core.

I'm impressed by the review. The color looks nice, and it sounds like it is a well behaved ink. And I have read that it is a "near bulletproof" ink. What more could you ask for? I think I'll buy a bottle!

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

I had a bottle of Noodler's Eternal Brown and had to trade it away. It just seemed weak and watery. This Walnut looks like a rich brown I will have to try. Thanks for the review.

Compliments on the handwriting and poem selection.

Edited by Oso

Thanks for this review! It's definitely an ink that deserves a lot of attention. One of my favorites, I currently have it in a Pel demo with a (Binder) stub nib and it is a feast for the hands and eyes.

I find PR's Chocolat to be a tad more reddish than Walnut, but both of them are kept in my rotation of pens.

Great review. :D

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

• 1 year later...
Greetings!!! I have been in the ink review mode so i figure i had better use it up while the time is there. LOL

I noticed that Noodler's Walnut had not been reviewed.And being that i have just picked up a bottle,why not.

So here it is:

I have 5 or 6 different browns in my collection.And i would say that it is my most used colour.So far my favourites are PR's Chocolat and

Waterman's Havana Brown.Also add Noodlers Kiowa Pecan.

But this brown is delicious!!!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/41.jpg

The bottle is the typical Noodlers style and label.I used a Stipula Florentia fine point for this review.I admit i tend to match inks with pen colours if i can.

So i decided to write out a poem of Robert Louis Stevenson.He is well known for his childrens books and novels,but not his poetry.

With autumn here and the cold starting to make it's appearance,this was apropo.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/11.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/31.jpg

This brown is darker than most of my others.it is closest to Private Reserve's Chocolat.

Flows a bit better than the other Noodlers which are more sticky in my pens.No real bleeding or feathering problems on light or heavy paper at all.

The paper used for this review was 20# Hammermill copy paper.Wanted to bring out the brown and it's detail.

This ink is almost bulletproof and does well near water as our rain has proved.No real bleeding.

Dries a bit longer than i wanted though.Not very fast.Chocolat dries much faster.Leaving the cap off the pen didn't hurt as it does not dry up quickly.

Here is a close up of the ink swatch:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/21.jpg

A rich hue of brown it is.It works very well on my italian Fabriano Mediovalis paper.Smooth and viscous ink.

This brand is available all over the Internet and should be easy to find.

In closing,i really don't see a need to own too many browns.This Walnut,a Chocolat and Kiowa Pecan will do fine.The others i have will not get as much use.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/61.jpg

Thank you for letting me share my Noodlers thoughts with you!!

JD

Vancouver,Wa

Does the bulletproof-ness bother you at all? I am a bit worried about this in my best pens, which are the ones I want to put my favorite colors in, since they're the ones I want to write with!

I felt like Kiowa Pecan was not doing at all well in my Sailor with the ultra-fine Saibi Togi nib. Stops and starts, not flowing well....it scared me a bit and I think for that pen I won't be using that type of ink. Maybe Waterman's Havana Brown, as a safer in, or even PR Chocolat. Sigh.

Still a bit scared of the bulletproof or near bulletproof qualities. I have wanted to try FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown but worry about its being bulletproof. :mellow:

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Sallywally----are the bulletproof inks a potential problem because of what they do to the pen????

Do they clog easier than a regular ink? Or is the concern with the potential for a nonremovable stain? Thanks, RCC

These reviews are very useful. There is something to be said for collective knowledge. After all, if it can enable the development of complex civilizations, it can facilitate the choice of fountain pen inks. Thank you, handlebar, for this excellent contribution.

I am also quite fond of Noodlers Walnut - it was one of the first Noodlers colors I purchased, a couple of years ago, and one of my favorites.

It is an old-school Noodlers, which means low-feathering and slow-drying, sometimes too-slow drying. I have found a slight dilution with water (4:1 or 5:1 - Walnut:water) tames the worst of the slow-dry problems.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Excellent review; lovely text and execution.

Would you mind identifying the journal/cover if they're available commercially?

Many thanks,

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Excellent review; lovely text and execution.

Would you mind identifying the journal/cover if they're available commercially?

Many thanks,

Hey Joe, where you going with that [fountain pen] in your hand...lol. I was thinking the same thing, and from what I could make out, it's by Winsor & Newton, but I'm afraid that it appears to be a discontinued item. They seem to primarily focus on art supplies...

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

Sallywally----are the bulletproof inks a potential problem because of what they do to the pen????

Do they clog easier than a regular ink? Or is the concern with the potential for a nonremovable stain? Thanks, RCC

The concern mostly seems to be the potential to clog the feed and nib area; also staining of clear demonstrator pens or ink-view areas of pens. Mostly it's the clogging, though. I want to buy several of the inks - Walnut is one of them - and some other browns. There's a bulletproof made specially for this site - called Galileo Manuscript Brown - and I'm very interested in it as well.

I'm just feeling a bit hesitant about going ahead with those purchases. :blink:

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

The concern mostly seems to be the potential to clog the feed and nib area; also staining of clear demonstrator pens or ink-view areas of pens. Mostly it's the clogging, though. I want to buy several of the inks - Walnut is one of them - and some other browns. There's a bulletproof made specially for this site - called Galileo Manuscript Brown - and I'm very interested in it as well.

I'm just feeling a bit hesitant about going ahead with those purchases. :blink:

The bulletproof inks are generally less prone to stain things because the dye used binds well only to cellulose, as I understand it.

Noodler's inks generally have more dye and perhaps other stuff in them, so all might be somewhat more likely to clog than some other inks and the bulletproof inks may be still a little more likely to clog.

Mostly, it's not a problem. YMMV.

Noodlers Bulletproof and near-bulletproof inks contain suspended micro-particles that do make the ink more prone to clogging. The faster drying bulletproof inks are, in my opinion, more prone to these problems. It may require a little more frequent flushing than other inks, but generally it is not that much of a problem. I use Noodlers bulletproof inks all the time, and have few problems - but I have had some that misbehaved, particularly when mixed with other inks.

Frankly I have not found the bulletproof inks to be more or less prone to staining than other inks - red, purple and green inks are more prone to stain, blue and black less prone (with the exception of baystate blue). The bulletproof Noodlers black does tend to wash off of hands and other things that are not paper better than some inks, but the red component of Noodlers Walnut is about as likely to stain as any other brown ink - not terribly likely, but be careful with, say, white caisein.

John

Edited by Johnny Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Noodlers Bulletproof and near-bulletproof inks contain suspended micro-particles that do make the ink more prone to clogging. The faster drying bulletproof inks are, in my opinion, more prone to these problems. It may require a little more frequent flushing than other inks, but generally it is not that much of a problem. I use Noodlers bulletproof inks all the time, and have few problems - but I have had some that misbehaved, particularly when mixed with other inks.

Frankly I have not found the bulletproof inks to be more or less prone to staining than other inks - red, purple and green inks are more prone to stain, blue and black less prone (with the exception of baystate blue). The bulletproof Noodlers black does tend to wash off of hands and other things that are not paper better than some inks, but the red component of Noodlers Walnut is about as likely to stain as any other brown ink - not terribly likely, but be careful with, say, white caisein.

John

I've heard elsewhere that the bulletproof inks are water soluble. Do you agree? :mellow:

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF