De Atramentis Merlot

The Legend

Well this is an interesting ink.

De Atramentis Merlot.

As all other scented Atramentis inks, this inks combines the colour with scent.

So mint will be green, coffee will be brown and merlot will be darker red.

These inks are on the thinner side so they will dry more easily but tend to feather lightly on e.g. Moleskine paper.

I have just put a shot of Merlot in my Tranparent Red Pelikan M200 with a nib form Richard Binder (ItaliFine).

During writing it is a pleasure to sniff te nib, as if you where having a glass of red wine nearby.

Especially in office situations, where you (normally) do not have a Merlot wine on your desk.

It also helps during a diet at home when writing, only with a glass of water as a permitted drink.

You do need a broader nib, such as the Pelikan, because smaller or hooded nibs (e.g. 51 or capless) cover up the scent.

I can also recommend the Erdbeere (i.e. strawberry) which took my Pelikan Madrid through the summer.

Finally, I have a scan here for you (Q-tip, Itali-side of the nib (0.9mm italic) and the F-side of the nib).

I put it down on Clairfontaine papier velouté, which combines nicely.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s77/hruud/FPN_Inks/ClairefontainePapierVeloutDeAtramen.jpg

Edited by The Legend

Keep writing.

Keep doing it and doing it.

Even in the moments when it's so hurtful to think about writing.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s77/hruud/TheLegendSignatureFPNPR_UB.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saintsimon

• The Legend

• lefty928

• Opus104

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, isn't this one of De Atramentis' real wine inks? They make inks from several different types of grape with resulting specific wine colours and original scents. :)

http://www.de-atramentis.com/oxid.php/sid/...74/tpl/-/lang/1

Addition:

Obviously Dr. Jansen has opened up his business for international sales and modernized the look of his ink line. Until recently he seemed to be reluctant to sell abroad. Also his regular ink line got new black labels and each ink colour is identified also by a number alongside its colour name.

Edited by saintsimon

Thank you for the look at an interesting ink! It's really helpful to see how an ink looks in a broad nib and then written finer.

And santsimon, thanks for the link -- wow, De Atramentis has really changed its Web site. This is exciting news, if dangerous for the wallet. Perhaps virtual ink swatches will be added as well.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Wow, the variety of products on this site is fascinating! Thanks for posting about it.

Lisa

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Just keep in mind that many of the De Atramentis special name inks (business, sports, myth etc) are just rebadged regular ink colours.

Edited by saintsimon

This is exciting news, if dangerous for the wallet.

Dangerous don't begin to cover it! (Please, oh, please tell me that I'm reading the shipping costs wrong!) :yikes:

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

This is exciting news, if dangerous for the wallet.

Dangerous don't begin to cover it! (Please, oh, please tell me that I'm reading the shipping costs wrong!) :yikes:

No color swatches on the site? Maybe it is still a work-in-progress.

$125.60 to ship three bottles to the U.S.? I knew the dollar had weakened but that's ridiculous! :sick:

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

I love the two bottle of his ink I have that I got from Winedoc

BUT I'll me damned if I am going to spend 92 Euros to ship a couple of bottle to the US...

With an average price of 9.9 Euro a bottle you would need to buy 20 bottles of ink to get the best deal on the 92 Euro shipping...

In the end that comes out to almost $20.00 a bottle.... I don't like the ink that much...

I am going to have to ask my cousin in Bavaria about shipping cost for a couple of bottles of ink and see what he says...

These export shipping costs are certainly not those of the post office. They taste like UPS or FedEx or similar company prices. They really rip you off here in Europe.

I once calulated that I had to pay four or five times as much to ship a pen to Malaysia than Pengallery's 48h FedEx shipping costs from Malaysia to Europe. :rolleyes:

And don't give up: our member Rolf Thiel ( info@missing-pen.de ) from www.missing-pen.de sells De Atramentis inks among others, and he sells worldwide. ;)

Edited by saintsimon

• 5 years later...