Mini Converters: a Review and Comparison

QM2

There were several threads recently (including my own), asking about short/ mini converters -- so I thought I'd post a review now that I've actually gotten and used them.

SHORT / MINI CONVERTERS

WHAT: These small international converters can be used in FPs that take standard international cartridges, but cannot fit a standard international converter because the inside of the barrel is either too short or too narrow.

HOW: The mini-converters are shaped just like international cartridges, only with a bit of hardware added on to make them able to pump ink in and out. This allows them to be almost as small as the cartridges themselves. There are 2 types of mini-converters that I am aware of: the plunge by Montverde/Yafa/Delta, and the squeeze-fill by Tryphon. See below for where to purchase, and for a comparison of the models.

PROS: Thanks to these little gadgets, many (most?) pens that are described as cartridge-only, can in fact be converter-filled, thus giving you ink options without the need to resort to the whole syringe-in-the-cartridge business. I use these converters in my MB Greta Garbo and my Retro 51 Cherry Blossoms pen, both described by the manufacturers as cartridge-only. The converters work great with both pens.

CONS: Obviously, the converters will only work in pens that accept standard cartridges, not in pens that require any of the brand-specific cartridges. Additionally, the ink capacity in the converters is rather limited, and they are awkward to use due to their small size.

WHERE: You can purchase the the squeeze-fill Tryphon converter here: http://www.tryphon.it/catalogo.htm (search for "bantam" mini converter, half way down the page). Payment via pay-pal, very cheap shipping, and the seller is friendly and helpful. You can purchase the the Montverde/Yafa/Delta plunger converter here http://www.yafaoutlet.com/miniconverter.html . However, I cannot comment about the Yafa website, because I bought mine from the Bromfield Pen Shop in Boston.

TRYPHON VS. YAFA COMPARISON:

I got both models -- just in case one, but not the other, would it into my pens. Both of them fit, but they are very different in construction.

post-5823-1179503921_thumb.jpg

The yafa plunge converter is all-plastic, and exactly like the full-size plungers, only mini. Because the converter is so small, the plunge can be hard to manipulate -- especially if you have either large hands or long fingernails.

post-5823-1179503903_thumb.jpg

The tryphon squeeze is very cool-looking and fancy -- the metal squeeze-hardware is gold-plated! So seemed especially suitable for my Greta Garbo. : ) However, if you are uncomfortable with the squeeze-filler mechanism, it might not be for you.

Both converters are great, helpful inventions and I would highly recommend them.

Hope this was useful,

QM2

Edited by QueenMargot2

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• Penache

• marnixmoed

• Dillo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the information! Accoring to Pendemonium, the Monteverde converter will fit "slim" Sheaffer Targas and TRZ's as well (the proprietary cartridges and converters are no longer being made). I plan to get one soon for my TRZ.

Thanks for this very useful review, QM2!

I'm glad to learn that there are options for cartridge-only pens.

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

Thanks for the review QM2. I will be ordering a couple of these for my Ohto Tasche and Sailor Sapporo Mini. :)

~ Manisha

"A traveller am I and a navigator, and everyday I discover a new region of my soul." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Hi,

From my experience, I found that the Monteverde converters leak a bit and don't hold as much as the Tryphon ones do :(

Oh, by the way, for the Sailor Sapporo, that converter is not compatible :( I actually have special shorter, modified converters for those pens though :)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

From my experience, I found that the Monteverde converters leak a bit and don't hold as much as the Tryphon ones do :(

Dillo,

How long were you using them when they started to leak? I am guessing the mechanism behind this was the same as when you reuse a cartridge over and over and the opening stretches? That would make sense, because the Tryphon is encased in metal all the way to the opening, but not the Yafa; it literally looks like a cartridge with a plunger on top. I've refilled the Yafa/Montverde converter three times now and still no leaks, but I am watchful.

QM2

Thanks for the review. I'm glad there are options for those small spaces in pens.

Chihiro- How did you know my name was Chihiro?

Haku- I have known you since you were very small.

Oh, by the way, for the Sailor Sapporo, that converter is not compatible :( I actually have special shorter, modified converters for those pens though :)

Dillon

Good to know you have managed to modify a converter to fit the Sapporo Mini. Is it easy to do? Do you sell them?

I will try refilling the cartridges with a syringe in the meantime.

~ Manisha

"A traveller am I and a navigator, and everyday I discover a new region of my soul." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Hi,

Yes, I do sell them. :) I have people send them over here for me to retro-fit them. (The converters are modified so that they fit the specific pen.) If you want to use cartridges, then you just pull out the converter and put a cartridge in :)

The ink leaks behind the plunger of the Monteverde converter. For me, it was like that from the first day :(

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

The ink leaks behind the plunger of the Monteverde converter. For me, it was like that from the first day :(

Oh, I see! No, mine do not do that at all. Maybe you've got a bad batch.

It's great that you do custom converter-modification, what a useful service to offer!

QM2

It's great that you do custom converter-modification, what a useful service to offer!

QM2

Ditto. :)

~ Manisha

There were several threads recently (including my own), asking about short/ mini converters -- so I thought I'd post a review now that I've actually gotten and used them.

For the record, I have a Pentalic demonstrator that I love, a great writing pen, but could not us for the longest time because I could not find a cartridge or converter to fit. Sam at Pendemonium suggested the mini-Monteverde. Works like a charm, I'm a happy camper.

Cheers,

Bill J

• 6 months later...

I am bringing back this thread because I noticed several people asking again about pens that are too small to fit a normal converter.

Couple of things to add to my original post back in May:

- After 7 months of using both the squeeze and plunge types, I can confidently say that I find the plunge type more convenient and easier to use, so that is the one I'd recommend. Might not be the case for everyone and every pen, but this is based on my experience.

- if you are going to buy them, buy several and not just one. Structurally, these converters are basically just enhanced cartridges, so the opening wears out at a similar rate as a cartridge, rather than a standard sized converter. The expense of getting several should be no big deal though, as the minis cost significantly less than regular converters.

Edited by QM2

Thanks, QM2! I will definitely be purchasing a few of one or both of these converters.

Lisa

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Dillon

Just clarifying...which of the mini converters (or is it both) do not work "out of the box" with the sapporo mini?

Pens

1. Sailor Sapporo / Pro Gear Slim (F, Rhodium)
  2. Lamy Dialog CC (EF, White and All Black)
  3. Pilot Custom Heritage 92 (F Demonstrator & Smoke)
  4. TWSBI 580 ALR EF
  5. Vanishing Point (EF, gold nib)

Favorite Inks

1. Kobe Minataojima Island Blue
  2. Noodler's Clairvoyance Slate
  3. Sailor Studio 730

Dillo is gone until Feb 21.

(This is in his sig but you would not know to look for it unless you independently know he is gone, which I do).

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

www.isellpens.com has carried and sold a mini squeeze converter similar to Tryphon's, in the Duke brand. isellpens has been out of stock of it for a while now, but it is still in the catalog.

Edit: inserted a missing word

Edited by Goodwhiskers