Paperblanks journals

aarpflopper

This information is duplicated in a reply to Paddler's topic, Paperblanks Book of Kells. I think Fountain Pen Fiends who also keep diaries should know about these journals, so I started a new topic.

I have found the new Paperblanks journals published in November 2006, with the Tiffany Leaded glass cover designs, to be FP-friendly, compared to the older ones, most of which were published in 2001 to 2003. These newer ones have whiter paper than before, which is more absorbent. I conclude that Hartley & Marks got feedback, and changed something about the sizing of the paper. I tested five different Paperblanks journals with a Pelikan Pelikano Jr with Pelikan Brilliant Black cartridge, a Lamy Safari with Lamy black cartridge, and cheap Parker with Parker black ink cartridge. I found the following Paperblanks journals to be very fountain pen friendly:

Tiffany Autumn Vine

Tiffany Magnolia

When I tested my fountain pens on a journal of an older series, the Handstitched Morris, I duplicated Paddler's experience with the row of droplets sitting on top of the paper. It was a newly purchased jounal, and I have nothing better to write in, so I use a Pilot Precise Zing gel pen to write in it, which has ink that seems to penetrate the sizing better than any of the fountain pen inks I tried. I found the following Paperblanks journals to be fountain pen unfriendly:

Handstiched Morris Design for Iris

Handstiched Morris Design for Bird

Handstiched Tao Plum Blossoms in Early Spring

So henceforth I do not trust the Handstiched Morris series or the Handstiched Tao series, or anything by Paperblanks published prior to 2006. I place my trust for fountain pen friendly journals in the Paperblanks Tiffany Leaded Glass series.

By the way, I really like my Pelikano Jr, and it only cost $15. It only comes in one nib size, which seems to be a medium.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aarpflopper

• WillAdams

• juhtolv

• Latro21

See Paddler's topic on The Book of Kells for an excellent description of how Paperblanks Handstitched journals are bound. The journals lie flat, which is important for a serious journaller. The only other kind of journals that have that feature are the spiral bound ones. Also, the paper is excellent quality and thick enough that one can write on both sides of a page without it showing through.

The more cream colored paper used in the Morris and Tao series matches their covers, which contain a lot of brown in the designs; while the more light colors, reds, blues, yellows, of the Tiffany series cover designs matches the whiter paper. I don't know if the difference in paper color is due to the sizing, or dyes.

The best search string to use to find these journals is "paperblanks handstitched tiffany". The string "handstitched" ensures searches for ones that lie flat; "tiffany" should get you ones that are FP-friendly.

QUOTE (aarpflopper @ Apr 6 2007, 11:36 AM)
See Paddler's topic on The Book of Kells for an excellent description of how Paperblanks Handstitched journals are bound. The journals lie flat, which is important for a serious journaller. The only other kind of journals that have that feature are the spiral bound ones.

there are a lot of journals that lie flat when open besides these and spiral bound.

i wonder if they actually use different weight paper in these 'tiffany' journals than in the other cover styles.

-Nick

• 6 months later...
there are a lot of journals that lie flat when open besides these and spiral bound.

i wonder if they actually use different weight paper in these 'tiffany' journals than in the other cover styles.

Which non spiral bound journals lie flat?

I don't think the weight of the paper is any different. I am pretty sure the difference is in the sizing of the paper. There was too much sizing, or they used too strong a solution, in the earlier journals.

A sewn-signature single binding journal will lay flat (unless there's a significant number of pages in it).

Exposed sewn-bindings will also lay flat, Coptic, or the Japanese Retchoso for example.

Circa / Rollabind journals will also lay flat.

William

• 2 weeks later...
By the way, I really like my Pelikano Jr, and it only cost $15. It only comes in one nib size, which seems to be a medium.

According to my Pelikan-catalogues it is available in two nibs:

A = for starters.

L = for left-handers.

Juhapekka “naula” TOLVANEN * The Nerd in Black * http://iki.fi/juhtolv

ユハペッカ・「ナウラ」・トルワネン

黒服のナード