Lamy Safari

Renzhe

This is a yet another review of a Lamy Safari. They come in like 31415926536 colors so I'm not going to list them all. I'd say a reasonable price for one is around $20.

Form

I understand that many can find this pen ugly. I'm fine with it personally. What does it look like? Well, depending on the color, it can get a different "feel" to it I suppose. For example, the black one that comes with a black nib and a black clip might appeal to you if you're looking for a pen that goes with your night-ops camo suit ph34r.gif . Or, more practically, you might want a yellow one just so it isn't so easily lost. It won't look very expensive; if any non-pen person sees it, they certainly won't think you paid more than $10 for it. However, most people don't buy Safaris for looks, do they?

Function

Safaris are pretty much indestructible. The barrel and cap is made of ABS Plastic. There's a strategically placed hole in the barrel through which one can see the ink cartridge (or convertor) and check the ink level. (Didn't someone run over one with a car before?) The clip is a sturdy brass wire bent into a U-shape. One could easily clip the pen onto their jeans pocket; it slides on easily with little chance of snagging on any clothes.

I don't know the dimensions, but I'd say it's similar in girth to a Waterman Phileas, and long enough for most hands. I don't know if this is a concern, but from the ink window to the end of the pen, the barrel is not round but flattened on both sides. The Safari weighs very little (half an ounce). Even less without the cap. Actually, the cap weighs almost as much as the body, and so it feels very top-heavy if I post it.

Using the blue ink in the T 10 cartridge that this came with, this extra fine nib was indeed extra fine, slightly scratchy, and very dry. Unpleasant overall. It was completely different once I filled it with some PR American Blue. It wrote more like a fine point, much smoother (although I wouldn't call this a smooth nib), and much wetter (although I wouldn't call this a wet nib). See the writing sample below.

http://i14.tinypic.com/4dyr77c.png

Many say that this nib, which is relatively stiff, can make carbon copies. I haven't tried.

So, for the money, this is an excellent, reliable pen. There is one feature, however, I have a problem with. The section is shaped to allow for the thumb and index finger to have a more comfortable and secure grip on the pen. At first, one would not find anything bad about this, but this forces the user to either use the grip prescribed by the shaping of the section, or write with a very uncomfortable feeling section. The way I grip the section is not in accord with how it is shaped, so I cannot use this pen. (If the person who gave this to me is reading, sorry.)

Edited by Renzhe

Renzhe

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moose

• davidmigl

• rollerboy

• Unic

QUOTE (BillTheEditor @ Apr 6 2007, 02:59 AM)
QUOTE (sam @ Apr 5 2007, 04:21 PM)
pie? pye? pi? wink.gif

Quite irrational ...

Transcendentally so.

QUOTE (Renzhe @ Apr 5 2007, 10:04 PM)
Using the blue ink in the T 10 cartridge that this came with, this extra fine nib was indeed extra fine, slightly scratchy, and very dry. Unpleasant overall. It was completely different once I filled it with some PR American Blue. It wrote more like a fine point, much smoother (although I wouldn't call this a smooth nib), and much wetter (although I wouldn't call this a wet nib).

I've found the same thing - using either my PR Black Cherry or Noodler's Zhivago really did help to produce a smooth line in my EF.

Regretably, I lost my charcoal EF last weekend and had to run out to Artlite in Atlanta this week when I was there for a Safari replacement (went with the yellow/black).

I have two Safaris, one Al-Star with a fine nib, and one Vista with a medium nib.

I just got the Al-Star this past weekend. It is smooth and wet when using Noodler's Ottoman Azure. The Vista with the blue T10 is dry and tends to skip a lot. The fine nib works better with my handwriting such as it is, but I think the medium will do much better with a different ink. I waiting on a converter to test my theory out. I can't find many reviews on Lamy's ink, but the anecdotal evidence says it ain't all that great.

I tested out a Safari Medium with PR Chocolat on Rhodia paper... it was the best writing experience I've had.

Scott

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Many say that this nib, which is relatively stiff, can make carbon copies. I haven't tried.

Having written on many, many multicopy forms (not often actual carbon, but commonly known as carbon copies) I can tell you that my Yellow Safari with an EF nib works just as well as any ballpoint on these forms. If you are looking for a pen which will complete multicopy forms, get yourself to your local Brick and Mortar to try out one of these and see if the weight, girth, grip section, and scratchiness will work for you!

Just another plug for what I think is one of the better low-end pens on the market right now!

Well for you, if you wrestle on, for in persistency lies victory, and with the morning may come the wished-for blessing. But not always; there is a struggle with defeat which some of you will have to bear, and it will be well for you if you have cultivated a cheerful equanimity. Remember, too, that sometimes 'from our desolation only does the better life begin.' Even with disaster ahead, it is better to face them with a smile, and with the head erect, than to crouch at their approach. And, if the fight is for principle and justice, even when failure seems certain, where many have failed before, cling to your ideal, and, like Childe Roland before the dark tower, set the slug-horn to your lips, blow the challenge, and calmly await the conflict.

--"Aequanimitas" William Osler

Valedictory Address, University of Pennsylvania, May 1, 1889

I understand that many can find this pen ugly.

I don't, but never mind :rolleyes:

The section is shaped to allow for the thumb and index finger to have a more comfortable and secure grip on the pen. At first, one would not find anything bad about this, but this forces the user to either use the grip prescribed by the shaping of the section, or write with a very uncomfortable feeling section. The way I grip the section is not in accord with how it is shaped, so I cannot use this pen. (If the person who gave this to me is reading, sorry.)

That is the most common criticism and actually the only downside of an overall excellent, durable pen and a good writer that is worth every cent.

Good to see more Lamy users and reviews.

This brave German company deserves our love and support as one of the few companies who have not deserted to China.

So, for the money, this is an excellent, reliable pen. There is one feature, however, I have a problem with. The section is shaped to allow for the thumb and index finger to have a more comfortable and secure grip on the pen. At first, one would not find anything bad about this, but this forces the user to either use the grip prescribed by the shaping of the section, or write with a very uncomfortable feeling section. The way I grip the section is not in accord with how it is shaped, so I cannot use this pen. (If the person who gave this to me is reading, sorry.)

I keep reading Safari reviews so I keep posting this observation of mine: I don't have a perfect tripod grip either but I found the Safari shaped section has smooth edges that can be lived with. I've actually grown to like the section as even though my grip doesn't align, the shaped section is still useful tactile feedback to keep the nib rotation correct.

That said, I do mutter about grip fascists whenever I encounter yet-another-triangular section on a pen.

pie? pye? pi? ;)

hehe, k.

nice review.

When come back, bring 3.1415926536 ;)

Nice review, I have the Al-Star, which is an aluminum bodied Safari, it's my workhorse pen, great, solid pens

I think I may just have to buy a Vista Safari and a bottle of Noodler's Blue Ghost for it....