Which pen give the most bang for the buck?

eric.zamir

Like I said, which pen give the most bang for the buck?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Like I said, which pen give the most bang for the buck?

• Montegrappa Extra
    • Montblanc 146
    • Montblanc 149
    • Pelikan M800's (incl. LE)
    • Visconti Wall Street LE's
    • Omas Paragons (incl. celluloid)
    • Waterman Exceptions
    • Waterman Edsons
    • Parker Duofold Centennials
    • Conway Stewart Churchills
    • Conway Stewart 100's
    • Dupont Orpheo/Olympios
    • Danitrio Tamenuri ED
    • Nakaya Whatever
    • Sheaffer Legacy

In the sense that one feels their money was well spent - esthetics, workmanship, writing qualities, ergonomics, customer service.

Still seeking the One Pen to Rule Them All...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sleek_lover

• georges zaslavsky

• goodguy

• alvarez57

If these are just expensive fountain pens, then my answer would be: "I have no earthly clue." If it is ANY fountain pen, I will go with a Lamy Safari. That is the SMOOTHEST fountain pen I have writen with. I have a medium nib on it, though I'd like a fine. I hear they are toothy, though...

~~K~~

Don't cry over spilled milk...cry over spilled ink!

~~K~~=Kyle

wink.gif

I will agree here with KCat, Pelikans are very, very reliable in my experience and I have NOT payed big bucks for them ( I own 4). smile.gif

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

To be purely pedantic, wouldn't something like a $5 Hero 329 be the best "value?"

Look at it this way: for $5, you get a pen that writes. What's a $200 Pelikan going to do, write literally forty times better?

[/pedantry]

But realistically, the best "values" would probably be the lower-end models that write really well, like the Safari, Phileas, M200, etc.

But this poll seems to indicate an approximately $200 or so price range. I don't own any pens in that range, so i can't comment.

I second the Omas Paragon,it is simply a fantastic pen for a resonable price (old style).Mine cost 160$ and it is the best writer ever.

Respect to all

Bang for the buck: Waterman Phileas. The quality is good, but the price is rock bottom for a decent pen. You get a reliable and solid writer with a good convertor or cartridge capability, but you pay little.

Edited by Ray-Vigo

QUOTE (eric.zamir @ Feb 20 2007, 05:30 PM)
In the sense that one feels their money was well spent - esthetics, workmanship, writing qualities, ergonomics, customer service.

This might be one poll that would have better created as a thread. ohmy.gif

Actually I think that something similar to this is already in writing instrument's forum. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (davidmigl @ Feb 21 2007, 01:50 AM)
To be purely pedantic, wouldn't something like a $5 Hero 329 be the best "value?"
Look at it this way: for $5, you get a pen that writes. What's a $200 Pelikan going to do, write literally forty times better?

[/pedantry]

But realistically, the best "values" would probably be the lower-end models that write really well, like the Safari, Phileas, M200, etc.

But this poll seems to indicate an approximately $200 or so price range. I don't own any pens in that range, so i can't comment.

David:

Not necessarily you have to pay more than $200 to own a good pen. Omas, granted, they're way beyond that price (that's why I haven't bought any lately, being my cut-off line 200$). I got a Platinum President, which is a moderately-sized pen for much less than $200 and I like how ìt writes, so the same with the Marlen Basilea and a whole bunch of other pens I've bought, all of'em gold-nibbed.

wink.gif

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Considering that the Legacy can be purchased for much less than any of the others (often for less than $100), the wonderful inlaid nibs, and the range of nibs available (F, M, B, S, others?) it's hard to beat, imho!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

For me the best value was the Waterman Phileas for $9.95 as a kit with cartridges, converter and bottle of ink. Best writing and "feel good" pen was the Waterman Carene on sale for $112.50.

Hard to tell for me.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Of these upper end pens, the Sheaffer Legacy series is right in there, in my opinion, garnering 4 and 5 scores in each of your categories. I've handled and toyed with the idea of buying most of the pens on the list, but life seemed to get in the way, most of the time...

It is gonna be VERY interesting to see how this one plays out, since it is a real run-off between the high end stuff.

QUOTE (ChickenGod @ Feb 22 2007, 05:19 AM)
No one mentioned the Parker "51"?

I think Eric wanted to know only from a list of new pens and not vintage pens.

Respect to all

QUOTE (ChickenGod @ Feb 21 2007, 09:19 PM)
No one mentioned the Parker "51"?

Last year, during the NCAA playoffs, somebody on another pensite did a March Madness Pen Thing, similar to the Bassetball March Madness.

The initial round was nominations for the 64 first round slots, a random draw for pairings and voting from there. Mix of vintage and modern. Really quite fun. Problem is, I don't fully recollect which pen won...memory serves that it was the 51 in a landslide over ???.

Anybody else remember the site and the outcome..?

QUOTE (paircon01 @ Feb 23 2007, 06:51 AM)
Last year, during the NCAA playoffs, somebody on another pensite did a March Madness Pen Thing, similar to the Bassetball March Madness.

...I don't fully recollect which pen won...memory serves that it was the 51 in a landslide over ???.

Anybody else remember the site and the outcome..?

The "51" defeated the M800 in the final.

I believe there were posts on FPN that linked to it.

Bill

For me, most bang FOR THE BUCK is my older Hero 616. Not my smoothest writer, but reasonably so, guts like a 51 (I added the Aero-style bleeder hole in the breather tube), and flows like a fire hose, never skips or starts hard (which is why my Hero 329 lost out).

Nihonto Chicken